"Accidental" drug overdose

His stupidity led to his death, but that doesn't mean that his death was intentional.

Where did anyone say they thought his death was intentional? We're only saying it seems odd to be specifically listed as accidental.

Someone mentioned obesity related deaths. I agree that it could be analagous. I've never seen one called an accidental obesity related death. I would also argue that seemed odd.

I just read something that said he had been suffering from flu like symptoms and was on over the counter and prescription drugs, so yes it could have been accidental.

Where did anyone say they thought his death was intentional? We're only saying it seems odd to be specifically listed as accidental.

Someone mentioned obesity related deaths. I agree that it could be analagous. I've never seen one called an accidental obesity related death. I would also argue that seemed odd.

A drug OD is sudden brought on by the specific act.

IF you don't believe it intentional, then it is an accident. If not an accident, then intentional.

He didn't die from the years of abuse (unless an autopsy later states as such) as with obesity. He died as a result of the drugs he consumed that night.

An OD happens over a short period. Noone is going to die suddenly from consuming food unless it were an allergy.

So what about all the deaths that have been reported simply as "drug overdose?" This is honestly the first time I've seen "accidental" listed in front of what most of us are assuming is an illegal drug overdose. It seemed odd to me that it was immediately specifically labeled as such. I'm surprised it doesn't seem unusual to more people.

I always thought words like accidental or intentional are avoided until further investigation, or never used at all. It seems like they were very specifically avoiding any assumption of suicide, which seems odd to me unless he had been known to be suicidal. (?)

I am not saying I think his death was intentional. I haven't seen anyone else say that either. Some of us just think it odd that the word "accidental" was used.

So what about all the deaths that have been reported simply as "drug overdose?" This is honestly the first time I've seen "accidental" listed in front of what most of us are assuming is an illegal drug overdose. It seemed odd to me that it was immediately specifically labeled as such. I'm surprised it doesn't seem unusual to more people.

I always thought words like accidental or intentional are avoided until further investigation, or never used at all. It seems like they were very specifically avoiding any assumption of suicide, which seems odd to me unless he had been known to be suicidal. (?)

I am not saying I think his death was intentional. I haven't seen anyone else say that either. Some of us just think it odd that the word "accidental" was used.

It is because all the gossip sites and news organizations jumped on it and called it "accidental". There has been no offical word from the coroner at this point and won't be for close to a couple more months when they get all the results back in. For now it is nothing more then speculation based upon a few words from the police department.

I've not read the responses, and I'm sure it's been said, but for the sake of weighing how many people feel this way, I'll add: they did not intend to overdose when they took the drugs. It may not have been accidental injestion of drugs, but it was an accidental drug overdose.

I just read something that said he had been suffering from flu like symptoms and was on over the counter and prescription drugs, so yes it could have been accidental.

It is because all the gossip sites and news organizations jumped on it and called it "accidental". There has been no offical word from the coroner at this point and won't be for close to a couple more months when they get all the results back in. For now it is nothing more then speculation based upon a few words from the police department.

And since this was inspired by the reporting of Corey Haim's death, I did want to post that I just read (CNN) that the LA Coroner has stated that no illicit drugs were found at the apartment. Prescriptions were found and that his mom had been giving him over the counter meds for flu-like symptoms.

So maybe in this case they are calling it accidental because there is no evidence he was using illegal drugs at the time of his death. :confused3

sometimes people aren't aware that certain drugs will interract with each other negativly, and doctor's don't always give you that info.

a few months ago i was having some really bad cramping from my period(i have an ovarian cyst so sometimes my periods are REALLY painful!) and i was already taking a pain pill once a day for a knee problem i have, so i called the pharmacist to ask what else would be ok to take, and they told me tylenol but NO ibuprofin because it could be pretty bad if i took a double dose.

now had i not called the pharmacist to ask, i would never have known.

it DOES happen.

really??? where were you when Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy died?? because both of them had quick statements released citing that they thought it was from an "accidental drug overdose".

really??? where were you when Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy died?? because both of them had quick statements released citing that they thought it was from an "accidental drug overdose".

I must not have been sitting home on my computer those days! Like the OP, the word "accidental" in the headlines struck me as odd. That's all I'm saying.

Well Heath Ledger was taking fully legal drugs and it was accidental. And Britney Murphey actually died of pnumonia.

I must not have been sitting home on my computer those days! Like the OP, the word "accidental" in the headlines struck me as odd. That's all I'm saying.

i wasn't on the internet when Heath died, i was watching it on CNN and that's what they were already starting to say a few hours later, "accidental drug overdose"

Well Heath Ledger was taking fully legal drugs and it was accidental. And Britney Murphey actually died of pnumonia.

they actually said Brittany died of an "accidental drug overdose", prescription and OTC pills, along with her pnumonia.

that was actually what else i wanted to mention. if they're saying these people had "flu-like symptoms"(in all 3 cases: Heath, Brittany, and now Corey) your body's system is SEVERLY low and pumping it with drugs can also have the adverse affect. since your ammune system is so low already, it can't filter all those drugs, so that's also how an overdose can happen.

My understanding of the Britney Murphy death was that had she gone to the doctor to treat her pnumonia she probably would have survived, but she tried and failed to treat it with over the counter meds and her diabetes got out of control along with her anemia. She seemed pretty weak and got a nasty virus :(

Edit: Here's a news report stating the primary cause of death was pneumonia http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/02/26/brittany-murphy-anemia.html Originally they said accidental overdose, but it appears upon further inpection they were wrong.

Seriously? Someone chooses to shoot up heroin and they are a victim? Unless someone overpowers them and puts the needle in their arm- they made a choice.

For whatever reason some people do decided to shot up or snort, or even take a drink. Peer Pressure? Curiosity? Stress? Yes they are the ones who decided to do that, but addictions are a disease of the mind and they are very hard to overcome.
If you have ever watched the show intervention, Id say 8 our of 10 times those who were addicted had something traumatic happen to them in their past (being molested as a child, losing a parents at a young age, etc.). Many time I think they held all of those feelings inside for so long and had no closure that later in their lives they began using. IMHO, addictions are a lot like depression, bipolar, etc. it needs to be treated before it can get better. An alcoholic is not going to get up and say "Hey, I'm not going to drink today" and stop. They can't, their body cannot function correctly w/o the drug.

It depends. If they "accidentally" took 30 pills when the prescription calls for 1 or 2 they must be the most accident prone people out there. If they took a little too much Heroine or took the normal amount of some that is stronger then they are used toit is a bit more believable.

I find it easier to just not start. No one is addicted to anything if they never take it once. I have no doubt that kicking Heroine is hard, but not ever taking it is quite easy...I'm doing it right now. I have very little patience for people who knowingly take an addicting substance and then complain that they can't quit. Perhaps they should have done a little more long term planning when they decided to start. If something bad happened to you use that energy for something positive, not as an excuse for your own addiction.

What bothers me is that most of the times it takes quite a few weeks for the ME's report to be finalize - meanwhile the "sensational" news of today has already declared it an accidental overdose - and that sticks in everyone's mind. They sensationalize the report of the death and all the speculations on what caused it especially if they had a perscription pill problem, but the follow up story that says it was pnumonia or another natural cause isn't sensationalized as much. So the general public believes the first story that came out right after the death and the true story.

What bothers me is that most of the times it takes quite a few weeks for the ME's report to be finalize - meanwhile the "sensational" news of today has already declared it an accidental overdose - and that sticks in everyone's mind. They sensationalize the report of the death and all the speculations on what caused it especially if they had a perscription pill problem, but the follow up story that says it was pnumonia or another natural cause isn't sensationalized as much. So the general public believes the first story that came out right after the death and the true story.

Yup, got into a discussion with a coworker today about this. He believes that because CNN said it was an accidental drug overdose then it must be true. I told him that they probably hadn't even done the post yet and that it would take 6-8 weeks for the toxicology reports to come in and why not wait for that. Let the coroner determine the cause of death and not some news station that is just reporting on rumor. :sad2:

I was watching the Today show this morning and they were talking about Corey Hain. They were talking to a few people, Danny Bonaduce:scared1: being one of them but he said something I found interesting. He said that people always talk about 'legal prescription drugs' He pointed out that if you have a prescription for say vicodin and it is for 1 pill every 6 hours, as soon as you take more than that it is now a recreational drug. He also was saying how with'prescription drugs, you never run out of a source, you can always find them. then they had a Dr who was saying that accidental overdose is now the second leading cause of accidental death(car accidents are first)

They were saying that Corey had flu symptoms and was having trouble breathing. Those drugs suppress your breathing so unfortunately he was probably like Heath Ledger. I think people forget how dangerous prescroption drugs and drug interactions can be. Very sad.

I was watching the Today show this morning and they were talking about Corey Hain. They were talking to a few people, Danny Bonaduce:scared1: being one of them but he said something I found interesting. He said that people always talk about 'legal prescription drugs' He pointed out that if you have a prescription for say vicodin and it is for 1 pill every 6 hours, as soon as you take more than that it is now a recreational drug. He also was saying how with'prescription drugs, you never run out of a source, you can always find them. then they had a Dr who was saying that accidental overdose is now the second leading cause of accidental death(car accidents are first)

They were saying that Corey had flu symptoms and was having trouble breathing. Those drugs suppress your breathing so unfortunately he was probably like Heath Ledger. I think people forget how dangerous prescroption drugs and drug interactions can be. Very sad.

OMG! Danny Bonaduce got something right! :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter