(Accidentally) Making Money at MK!

bbkangs

Earning My Ears
My wife and I went to MK on the first day of a very gloomy trip and the weather forecast predicted rain most days. So before we entered the park we purchased some ponchos and saved a little money with our passholder discount. Later that day, we were going to an event at Epcot where they handed out free ponchos. So since we didn't need the ones we purchased, we returned them. We handed the cast member our receipt but she gave us the full non-passholder refund. We banked like $6.00!

Are you thinking what I'm thinking... ? :smooth:

EDIT: Look, before you get easily offended... this is lighthearted and I am not condoning anything unethical.

Last edited:

My wife and I went to MK on the first day of a very gloomy trip and the weather forecast predicted rain most days. So before we entered the park we purchased some ponchos and saved a little money with our passholder discount. Later that day, we were going to an event at Epcot where they handed out free ponchos. So since we didn't need the ones we purchased, we returned them. We handed the cast member our receipt but she gave us the full non-passholder refund. We banked like $6.00!

Are you thinking what I'm thinking... ? :smooth:
My guess is that I'm not thinking what you're thinking. :teeth:

I would have pointed out the error to the CM instead of bragging about it on a message board.

that theft is theft even if its from a corporation and even if its only a few $$?

and this type of thinking is why the little extras get cut (like free ponchos)?

We kept the free ponchos and returned the ones we bought. I handed the cast member my receipt with exactly what I paid on it. She made an error in while refunding. It is not theft in any way, shape or form.

We kept the free ponchos and returned the ones we bought. I handed the cast member my receipt with exactly what I paid on it. She made an error in while refunding. It is not theft in any way, shape or form.
Its unjust enrichment - or theft under another name.

that explains the first part of your original post but not the are you thinking what I'm thinking with the smiley glasses....

Unless what you are thinking is CM are human and make mistakes? I would have corrected her because her drawer would be wrong at the end of the night and having worked retail it could mean her job. But hey you got $6 go you.

Its unjust enrichment - or theft under another name.

that explains the first part of your original post but not the are you thinking what I'm thinking with the smiley glasses....

Unless what you are thinking is CM are human and make mistakes? I would have corrected her because her drawer would be wrong at the end of the night and having worked retail it could mean her job. But hey you got $6 go you.

Well' I guess I could have done that if it wasn't refunded through my credit card which took 4 days to process...

It was just an honest mistake from the CM and the OP got $6 -- really not theft -- the OP did not reach over the counter and steal the money.

that theft is theft even if its from a corporation and even if its only a few $$?
If you happen to walk out to the grocery store and when you get home realize that they didn't charge you for your $6 bag of grapes -- are you going to go back to point out the error to then pay for it -- highly unlikely. Just happened to be a mistake in your favor.

So the OP just got a little pixie dust. No need to call them thieves.

Last edited:
Cashiers need to tally up their money with their receipts at the end of their shift, which is when discrepancies like your CM's mistake will show. Disney won't care for an extra $6 here and there, but the CM could very well get into trouble.

It's one thing if you don't realize it until much later, but if you notice it while at checkout, you should point out the error. Every time I've done that I've been rewarded with gratitude. Heck, at Disney, you might even get some pixie dust for your honesty! Who knows?

The CM probably failed to see the light-heartedness if the CM got called out on it. I remember once spending 4 hours trying to find a missing $2.04 in my drawer and being harangued by my supervisor the entire time.

Unless what you are thinking is CM are human and make mistakes? I would have corrected her because her drawer would be wrong at the end of the night and having worked retail it could mean her job.

Everyone makes mistakes. But no one in a cash handling position can rely on their guests to correct their errors. I would hope the CM would be transferred to a non-cash handling position before being fired.

Cashiers need to tally up their money with their receipts at the end of their shift, which is when discrepancies like your CM's mistake will show. Disney won't care for an extra $6 here and there, but the CM could very well get into trouble.

It's one thing if you don't realize it until much later, but if you notice it while at checkout, you should point out the error. Every time I've done that I've been rewarded with gratitude. Heck, at Disney, you might even get some pixie dust for your honesty! Who knows?

The CM probably failed to see the light-heartedness if the CM got called out on it. I remember once spending 4 hours trying to find a missing $2.04 in my drawer and being harangued by my supervisor the entire time.
But if they refunded x amount for the ponchos and gave back that amount, their drawer wouldn't be short.

Merchandising or retailwill be short when Accounting goes to balance the financial statement, but the cashier won't be short due to this transaction. She credited the retail price, and that's the amount credited to the OP's card.

It might make sense, when returning something that was discounted, to state - not just hand over the receipt - the item was discounted. Possibly even provide the eligibility, in this case the AP.

Whoever used the example of grapes not rung up? Yes, next time I went to the store I'd try to get it resolved.

Sounds like the cashier is safe..... way to stick one to the corporation. They had it coming!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter