Accountant Question - Why use points for Fri / Sat Night?

I have used weekend points before in a studio and 1 night in a 1br and a night at the Contemporary :earseek: . I told myself over and over again that I would only do it again in a studio. However, when making my ressies for next June yesterday I went ahead and book weekend nights in a 2 br. Reasons:
:sunny: I don't want to move or worry about making reservations
:sunny: I don't anticipate any more DVC trips next year
:sunny: Staying at another resort in the past and then moving to DVC I have felt that I wasted a day

However, if we decide to take another trip next year I will cancel the weekend days and stay somewhere else.

Do what is best for you. Buy points by calculating what you will need for a week, if you only plan on weekends what you will need for weekends, or Sun-Thur what you will need for then.

I also had heard the therory about the points being higher so locals wouldn't book them up. This has never made sense to me. They have the same 11 month priority that I do. If I want a weekend night, I will call at the same time as the locals.

FreeTime said:
I also had heard the therory about the points being higher so locals wouldn't book them up. This has never made sense to me. They have the same 11 month priority that I do. If I want a weekend night, I will call at the same time as the locals.
All the point systems I know of how higher points for weekends. Basically the explanation is that if they don't have some sort of road block, people will make far more use of weekends than weekdays with long weekends or 9-10 night stays. And it only makes sense that locals would be more able to take advantage of this issue than the rest. But there are other ways to ensure fair and even usage such as only allowing shorter stays at a much shorter time frame than say a full week. Some systems actually do both in one way or another. And remember if they reduced the weekends, they'd raise the weekdays.

Curious to hear if others have found it becoming more difficult to reserve on a cash basis through MS. I always used to pay cash for weekends, but for my last two bookings the rooms were not yet available for cash reservation. I was told I could book the weekdays using points and wait/call back if I wanted to get the weekends on cash. After waiting as long as my compusive planning addiction would allow, I forged ahead and booked on points.

During one of these transactions the CM advised it may be longer before Disney releases rooms to rent for cash (even through MS) and even longer if one waits for the member discount. Has anyone else heard this?

beacher said:
Curious to hear if others have found it becoming more difficult to reserve on a cash basis through MS. I always used to pay cash for weekends, but for my last two bookings the rooms were not yet available for cash reservation. I was told I could book the weekdays using points and wait/call back if I wanted to get the weekends on cash. After waiting as long as my compusive planning addiction would allow, I forged ahead and booked on points.

During one of these transactions the CM advised it may be longer before Disney releases rooms to rent for cash (even through MS) and even longer if one waits for the member discount. Has anyone else heard this?
It makes sense that cash rooms will be less and less available but I doubt it'll ever be none. I can see the member discount going away though.

When we only had 200 points, we never used points for a weekend. Those points were too precious to us then.

Now we have a total of 430 poinmts, and have been known to use points for a weekend. We have also been known to stay the first couple of nights(if they are weekend nights) in a regular resort if we get it at a good price and then move to the DVC resort on Sunday or Monday when the point rates go down. It really depends on the scenario. Now that we have more points, I am more inclined to spend a few on the weekend nights to save moving.

I don't rent my points as I do not want to deal with the aggravation and the potential risk. If I had points I couldn't use, I'd gift them to a friend or relative if I was beyond the banking dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter