• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Actual Car Rental Experiences at MCO

grubens

Mouseketeer
I am reading about all the horrible car rental experiences around the country and am hoping to hear of some actual recent experiences at MCO. In particular, was the car you reserved actually available and/or was your reservation rate honored?

Thank you.

I had a terrible experience at mco on March 25th. I had a Costco Resevation through Avis for a Chevy Tahoe or similar. When my flight landed we immediately went to the car rental area and noticed the chaos. The lines were packed! I heard everyone complaint how the companies were running out of cars. I got on line and it took about an hour to reach the counter. Customer after customer fighting with the desk agents. They were incredibly understaffed. When I reached my turn I was told they ran out of cars. I had 7 adults including myself with me. They offered me a sedan that fit 5. I asked how the rest of my party was supposed to get to the hotel and the agent looked perplexed. Finally they found me a minivan. They told me my card would be charged the lesser rate. When I arrived to the designated spot there was no car there. At this point I was incredibly frustrated. After about another 20 minutes an agent walking the garage told me they couldn’t find the assigned car and to take another van. All in all it was an awful experience. I know they sold off a lot of the fleet but there was many people left without the car they booked when I arrived.

We arrived 4/17 and left 4/24. Rented through Alamo. I was concerned based on some of the reports I'd read. We had pre-paid, so could go directly to our car. had 15-20 cars in our category to choose from. The exit line had 1 car in front of us and took under 5 minutes to complete. Returning the car, but the time we had our luggage out of the trunk, they had completed the car check in.
As smooth as any rental we have ever had there.

We rented in August and again in Feb. We had no issues, but things have gotten busier since then so YMMV.

In August we landed at almost midnight, had booked through Alamo, and did all of the paperwork (DL#, all of the "add ons", etc) ahead of time. It took us longer to figure out where to actually GO to get to the cars because we could "skip the counter" than it took to get into a car. It was quick and painless. We were shown a row and told to pick whatever we wanted in that row, the keys were in it. Showed ID/confirmation on my phone to the guard at the exit and drove away.

In Feb. I had booked through hertz (using a mousesavers code...SO MUCH CHEAPER!!) and later set up a gold membership (free) to try to skip the counter again like we had done in August. Well, come to find out you should do the membership FIRST and THEN make the reservation because it won't let you go back. Cancel/rebooking was an option, but by the time I realized the issue, there were no available cars to reserve using the code, and not using it was $$$$. On this trip we landed at around 1pm and it took about 45min to an hour to get through the line, do all of the paperwork, and go to our assigned car. Much busier time of day, so it took a but longer. If I hadn't messed up the order of membership>reservation it would have been even faster.

I rented a mid-size car for a week from Enterprise, arrived at MCO on 4/10 around 4:30 pm. The line for the desk was a little long at 5 pm after we got our bags, but Enterprise also has kiosks to do the check-in yourself if you have a reservation. The wait for the kiosks was like 30 seconds, so we did that and were on our way to the garage within 5 minutes. I was almost immediately greeted by an employee in the garage and they brought me over to the mid-size row to let me choose my car. There were at least 10 cars in that row to choose from, so we loaded up and headed out. They did indeed honor my Costco reservation rate. It was easy, I would recommend Enterprise for sure.

Following along we always rent a car or drive this time we are flying and need a rental. These rental stories have me panicking. If it was up to me I was just do shuttles or uber but my husband refuses because he has to have his WaWa coffee every morning or he won't go on the trip. ( I know crazy ) I hope things get better by late July

I had a terrible experience at mco on March 25th. I had a Costco Resevation through Avis for a Chevy Tahoe or similar. When my flight landed we immediately went to the car rental area and noticed the chaos. The lines were packed! I heard everyone complaint how the companies were running out of cars. I got on line and it took about an hour to reach the counter. Customer after customer fighting with the desk agents. They were incredibly understaffed. When I reached my turn I was told they ran out of cars. I had 7 adults including myself with me. They offered me a sedan that fit 5. I asked how the rest of my party was supposed to get to the hotel and the agent looked perplexed. Finally they found me a minivan. They told me my card would be charged the lesser rate. When I arrived to the designated spot there was no car there. At this point I was incredibly frustrated. After about another 20 minutes an agent walking the garage told me they couldn’t find the assigned car and to take another van. All in all it was an awful experience. I know they sold off a lot of the fleet but there was many people left without the car they booked when I arrived.
Just wondering what time your flight landed? We were at the airport that same day but took ME. Going in Aug (hopefully) but will rent this time.

I have rented 3 times at MCO since July. In all cases I rented through National and used the "Emerald Aisle". Just walked out to the car rental area, chose a car from the "Emerald Aisle" and got in and checked out as we left the garage. These rentals were July, October and most recently the week before Easter. In all cases, there were plenty to choose from. We arrived at different times of the day for all three flights. I love that we bypass the chaos that is the rental area of MCO. We have a car reserved for July and hope the experience is the same. Prior to Covid we always just used DME unless we were also going off Disney property for some reason during our trip.

Just wondering what time your flight landed? We were at the airport that same day but took ME. Going in Aug (hopefully) but will rent this time.
We landed around 8:30 pm. Sorry wrong date it was the week before on March 18th. We returned on March 25th. It was chaos. When we went to the garage there were very little cars left for the carriers around us as well. When we returned the car it was very packed. I’m assuming it was a very busy day. We waited on line for some time and the lines weren’t dying down as we left to head to the garage. I know many were heading down for spring break. When I rented in August(through budget for a suburban) and December(through Alamo for a Tahoe) my experiences were much better. I usually only rent when I have a larger traveling party since the buses are limited on space. I’m not renting again until my July (through National for a suburban) trip. I’ll be happy to post again then!

Last edited:
I rented a mid-size car for a week from Enterprise, arrived at MCO on 4/10 around 4:30 pm. The line for the desk was a little long at 5 pm after we got our bags, but Enterprise also has kiosks to do the check-in yourself if you have a reservation. The wait for the kiosks was like 30 seconds, so we did that and were on our way to the garage within 5 minutes. I was almost immediately greeted by an employee in the garage and they brought me over to the mid-size row to let me choose my car. There were at least 10 cars in that row to choose from, so we loaded up and headed out. They did indeed honor my Costco reservation rate. It was easy, I would recommend Enterprise for sure.
Dumb question, but I haven't been to MCO in years. Where are the kiosks? Are they right by the rental counters, or out in the garage?

We had a great experience renting a midsize SUV from Enterprise on our March/April spring break trip. We used ReadyPass so did not have to use the kiosks.

Have not rented in years, just use the ME to get to WDW. That said, the best way to get what you want when renting a car is to join the club that your rental company has, and they all have one. If you are a member they will be less likely to provide poor service. Also, look into rental companies that let you choose your vehicle when you get there.

Dumb question, but I haven't been to MCO in years. Where are the kiosks? Are they right by the rental counters, or out in the garage?

They are near the rental counters, usually next to the large columns that separate the counter queue area from the open corridor-way that runs along in front of the elevators.

My last experience at MCO was in late November, so I'm not going to post an experience here, but I have not personally seen a working rental-car kiosk since the pandemic shut-down in mid-March of 2020. I am *thrilled* to hear that they are now (at least in some cases) back in service!!

I have rented 3 times at MCO since July. In all cases I rented through National and used the "Emerald Aisle". Just walked out to the car rental area, chose a car from the "Emerald Aisle" and got in and checked out as we left the garage. These rentals were July, October and most recently the week before Easter. In all cases, there were plenty to choose from. We arrived at different times of the day for all three flights. I love that we bypass the chaos that is the rental area of MCO. We have a car reserved for July and hope the experience is the same. Prior to Covid we always just used DME unless we were also going off Disney property for some reason during our trip.
So when I look at National's site, it lists Midsize or larger as Emerald Aisle. However my confirmation says to proceed to the counter and I really want to avoid that if possible. Did you need to do anything special to bypass the line?

So when I look at National's site, it lists Midsize or larger as Emerald Aisle. However my confirmation says to proceed to the counter and I really want to avoid that if possible. Did you need to do anything special to bypass the line?
I haven’t rented National in a long time. But since Covid i have rented Avis and Hertz and joined their “programs”. Both times, on first rental I had to see an agent and show my DL and swipe my registered CC. Is this your first Emerald rental with National?

I haven’t rented National in a long time. But since Covid i have rented Avis and Hertz and joined their “programs”. Both times, on first rental I had to see an agent and show my DL and swipe my registered CC. Is this your first Emerald rental with National?
Not my first with them but first in a few years.

Following along we always rent a car or drive this time we are flying and need a rental. These rental stories have me panicking. If it was up to me I was just do shuttles or uber but my husband refuses because he has to have his WaWa coffee every morning or he won't go on the trip. ( I know crazy ) I hope things get better by late July
We must be sharing the same husband!

Had a Hertz rental, mid-size SUV, arrived this past 4/20 at 10:30 am. Used the Gold program so went straight to the garage, got my stall number off the big board and had a mid-size SUV (Chevy Equinox) waiting for me. Quick drop off also.

Arrived Friday at MCO at 10 am. Walked past counters in terminal A. Lines nothing like what we saw in March. Busy but not out of ordinary.

used Avis preferred, out of midsize, full-size & premium. I had booked Midsize, asthey typically have an upgrade of some sort in our assigned spot. This time around found this monster. There were multiple ones on their aisles. Looked relatively new

85711607-61D4-4640-9891-F2EEE152CAE9.jpeg

I refused & wound up with a tiny Ford eco sport (17K) miles) with little trunk space, as in we had to fold down back seat to get 2suitcases & carryon loaded

Only accepted as just 2of this trip. Did appear to be stocked with vehicles, just mostly subcompacts, trucks & suvs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter