Adding on vs Swolphin

PaddingtonStation

Earning My Ears
We bought VGF last year and while it’s our fav resort, Epcot is our fav park and we love the resorts near the International Gateway. I’m keeping an eye out for a small (25-40) resale BCV or BWV contract, but it just occurred to me that maybe we should just stay at the Swan or Dolphin for Epcot days. On the one hand there’s the rapid rise in hotel prices to consider; on the other hand, the dues at those resorts are already higher than we’re used to. What do you think? Are Swolphin prices usually pretty reasonable?

I love Swolphin. Especially if you have Marriott points to burn, it can be a great value. One of my best vacations over Thanksgiving was staying there (they have a great Santa that sets up residence between the two hotels).

Great boat access to Epcot and Hollywood. Only problem is limited room choices.

We’ve been staying at the Swan pretty exclusively for the last 15 years and FWIW I just bought a BWV resale contract (currently in ROFR).

The Swan/Dolphin prices have always been pretty reasonable - especially when you could use points/ corporate rates during quieter seasons. But recently I’ve been finding it’s VERY dependent on conferences. A week that would historically run $300 p/n inclusive of tax/resort fees could suddenly jump to $450-$500 (and even $1000 p/n). No thanks 😎

I think it’s still fine for a few nights - especially if you are somewhat flexible with dates - but for the length of our trips, it was no longer worth it.

We bought VGF last year and while it’s our fav resort, Epcot is our fav park and we love the resorts near the International Gateway. I’m keeping an eye out for a small (25-40) resale BCV or BWV contract, but it just occurred to me that maybe we should just stay at the Swan or Dolphin for Epcot days. On the one hand there’s the rapid rise in hotel prices to consider; on the other hand, the dues at those resorts are already higher than we’re used to. What do you think? Are Swolphin prices usually pretty reasonable?
I am a BCV owner and also a Swolphin fan (being Marriott’s top tier elite level helps)— and the answer is really “it depends”— there were a lot of nights in 2023 where the best rate we could find for anything at Swan/Dolphon/SR was a single hotel room over $500/night (we do tend to travel at busy times)— so BCV studios are a better value by comparison if you can always book 9-11 mo out, BCV points don’t help inside 7 months! BWV is even cheaper still if you have the determination to stalk or walk standard view rooms.

If you can’t book far in advance and/or don’t know for sure you’ll travel to WDW the majority of years for the next decade, I’d lean towards Swolphin…but we are considering buying more 2042 Crescent Lake points after spending $750/night to add 12/30 and 12/31 last minute at the Swan when we decided to extend our BCV trip. 😋

I am a BCV owner and also a Swolphin fan (being Marriott’s top tier elite level helps)— and the answer is really “it depends”— there were a lot of nights in 2023 where the best rate we could find for anything at Swan/Dolphon/SR was a single hotel room over $500/night (we do tend to travel at busy times)— so BCV studios are a better value by comparison if you can always book 9-11 mo out, BCV points don’t help inside 7 months! BWV is even cheaper still if you have the determination to stalk or walk standard view rooms.

If you can’t book far in advance and/or don’t know for sure you’ll travel to WDW the majority of years for the next decade, I’d lean towards Swolphin…but we are considering buying more 2042 Crescent Lake points after spending $750/night to add 12/30 and 12/31 last minute at the Swan when we decided to extend our BCV trip. 😋
Yes to all of this! (Though I will miss my breakfast coupons - was probably not a wise choice of welcome gift but somehow it made my morning matcha latte taste better!!)

There are a few small 50 point BWV contracts out there at the moment…. But a 25-40 pointer is going to be really difficult…..

Echoing it depends. I’ve seen everywhere from specials in the $200s to prices on par with Grand Flo.

But if you’re flexible with dates, Swolphin will likely end up cheaper than DVC long term.

Thanks, all! But now the question is…what are the breakfast coupons? 😂
Elite level members typically get free breakfast or $10 vouchers toward breakfast, depending on the Marriott brand. If you have to ask, it’s probably not available because they ask PLT/TI/AMB members each time you check in.

@MarkNC2Disney — we stay at whichever hotel between Swan and Dolphin is cheaper. Don’t like the extra walk to the Reserve, but I assume it has nicer rooms.

@PaddingtonStation one final thing, which nobody has discussed yet— currently the Swan and dolphin get access to the deluxe Disney hotel perks but that could be taken away as DVC tries to increase occupancy at its own properties. It’s had the special status for at least two decades, but it’s not guaranteed going forward. Frankly, the current deluxe resort perks are quite meager compared to what they once were, but if the late nights with lower crowds matter to your family, it’s worth thinking about.

My niece stayed strictly Swolphin for her first 4-5 adult trips. She says the past few years it’s become hard finding the good deals she did previously. I don’t have alot of experience there but hear others saying the same. Some saying it’s dynamic pricing that didn’t use to exist. Sounds like they used to have set rack rates and now prices change on the fly.

I have looked at adding on days at Swolphin in recent years and just always ended up finding something better. Gotta love that DVC has no added fees. Doesn’t matter if this trip you have a car, or more than 2 adults, etc. It’s going to be the same cost in points regardless.

We decided to buy BW. Even at the higher resale price our average cost per night has always been reasonable. Dues have stayed near average for DVC. What I like is having reliable access with an acceptable cost. Sometimes I wish we bought BC instead since availability generally last longer in the home window. The tradeoff is we have lucked out getting those frugal 9 or 10 point nights, or BW view during competitive weeks.

Elite level members typically get free breakfast or $10 vouchers toward breakfast, depending on the Marriott brand. If you have to ask, it’s probably not available because they ask PLT/TI/AMB members each time you check in.

@MarkNC2Disney — we stay at whichever hotel between Swan and Dolphin is cheaper. Don’t like the extra walk to the Reserve, but I assume it has nicer rooms.

@PaddingtonStation one final thing, which nobody has discussed yet— currently the Swan and dolphin get access to the deluxe Disney hotel perks but that could be taken away as DVC tries to increase occupancy at its own properties. It’s had the special status for at least two decades, but it’s not guaranteed going forward. Frankly, the current deluxe resort perks are quite meager compared to what they once were, but if the late nights with lower crowds matter to your family, it’s worth thinking about.
One quick add-on to hotel perks: buses to the parks

Post Covid Swan/Dolphin/Reserve Magic Kingdom buses drop you off at the transportation center vs MK entrance with the other Disney Resort buses. The extra leg isn’t really ideal…esp on the way home.

We "own" at Swolphin... we view it as a very flexible contract with no buy in cost, no booking windows and "maintenance fees" on the high but not terrible side. There are no orphaned points that can be an issue with a small contracts, no walking reservations for Flower and Garden. The only issue is a variable "points chart" - room prices very much vary based on the conference schedule. The post-Covid revenge travel pricing seems to have steadied substantially.

The key is that we exclusively stay in studios, so the rooms are truly comparable. My kids have no idea that these aren't Disney hotels; they are actually bummed that I bought CCV and we will be staying on the Bay Lake side more often.

Crescent Lake is clearly in for some changes over the next two decades, so who knows how long this will last. But there is so much value in not having a contract while still having access to our favorite part of property.

We use our VGF points for MK stays and when we go to Epcot we use our Marriott status. Yes, it is a slightly longer walk, but we find the S/D/SR to be much more versatile with how we can use our points. Biggest thing to keep in mind is the parking fees...

Well I am life-time Titanium at Marriott so I can and occasionally do use Swolphin. I am also DVC with 833 points, so I use those primarily. There might be an occasion such as my resort of choice undergoing refurbishment (looking at you BWV) that I might choose Swolphin, but there are plenty of other DVCs to choose from.

I’ve been looking at the Swalphin prices and everyone is spot on, they’re all over the place with no rhyme or reason! I do like predictability…this may open a new can of worms, but I’m surprised that BCV/BWV resale prices are still so high, do you think they’ll start dropping soon?

I’ve been looking at the Swalphin prices and everyone is spot on, they’re all over the place with no rhyme or reason! I do like predictability…this may open a new can of worms, but I’m surprised that BCV/BWV resale prices are still so high, do you think they’ll start dropping soon?
IMO the right time to buy BCV and BWV was yesterday. At this point it's either you accept you're not going to own there or you bite the bullet now knowing yeah you're not getting the best value in terms of dollar per point but you are getting amazing vacations for 18 years. I wouldn't expect there to be any major fluctuations in the price of BCV/BWV in the near future. I think a lot of it has to do with the owners knowing they pretty much have the best location in WDW and unwillingness to let that go for "cheap".

This is the problem. For example - the week we usually travel in August (which is typically super reasonable) is showing rooms for $700. However, I booked the Swan for 12/31/2024 for $299. Makes no sense.

And while I agree it would have been a smarter financial move to buy BWV a few years back, I think if you can find a fully loaded contract for under $100/ pt, it can work especially given the BWV point chart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter