Addonitis and HHI

Mokat76

DisKat
All my points currently are at SSR. I love it there. However, I've recently been bitten by the golf bug and am thinking of adding on with a small contract at HHI.

Can any of you HHI folks--especially any golfers--give me the scoop? Is it worth it or should I just add on at WDW and golf there?

Thanks.

All my points currently are at SSR. I love it there. However, I've recently been bitten by the golf bug and am thinking of adding on with a small contract at HHI.

Can any of you HHI folks--especially any golfers--give me the scoop? Is it worth it or should I just add on at WDW and golf there?

Thanks.
I'm not very familiar with the HHI golf experience; however, I will comment on the recent announcements by Disney.

Since Disney is doing away with Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines golf courses you might consider HHI. A Four Seasons resort and timeshare is taking over Eagle Pines. Osprey Ridge is being renovated for a Four Seasons golf course to compliment the resort. No one knows for sure if WDW guests will be allowed to golf at the Four Seasons course. That would leave only the Palm, Magnolia and Lake Buena Vista golf courses as the only 3 available on property (oops! Can't forget about Oak Trail 9 holes only). Unless you plan on golfing outside of WDW I would consider HHI. Just my two cents.

Thank:rotfl2: s. I'm glad you reminded me about the shrinking golf pool at WDW. I'd forgotten all about that. Hmmm. I may have to get a bit more serious about HHI.

Thanks.

DH is a real golfer, and we're currently facing this same question. There are so many great golf courses at HHI, and the Sea Marsh is currently undergoing a major overhaul and should reopen soon-so that adds another one. And the previous poster's point about the "shrinking golf pool" at WDW brings up a good point about WDW. DH has previously played daily at WDW, now he may look more to our HHI trips and be less interested in going to WDW. Since I'd like to add on at HHI, partially because of golf, of course that's going to be my advice to you too.

When do you plan to go to HH? Is Golf the main focus?

I found DVC at HH to be a let down. My brother also found it to be a let down. He perfers staying in Sea Pines near the golf courses he likes to play. I perfer staying nearer to the beach.

For the price of the mainteance fees I am generally able to rent a small villa in September. My bother who goes in the summer spends more then I do on a two bedroom, but is happier. (I gave him a free stay at DVC and he told me from now on he would rather stay at DVC at Disney)

For the above reasons I sold my HH DVC. It seems to me that the home resort there is only vital for summer and Spring Break.

As with all things, opinions will vary to the DVC resort.

We love HHI DVC and would never want to stay elsewhere. That said I would recommend staying at least once before buying and make your own decision.

As to golf HHI is a premiere golfing destination. For more info here is an article.

http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-destinations/hiltonheadgolf.htm

Palmetto Dunes where DVC has their beach access and beach house and pool has one of the best courses of the island.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-vacations/hilton-head/

Thanks, all who answered. Sammie, I like your idea of staying there once before I commit. My bro and his family live in NC and want to get together this spring. Maybe this is the venue for us.

A couple of years ago I got 2 2br units at HHI and took my 4 brothers and 3 friends to golf at HHI. We did this in early November for a long weekend. We had a blast. The golf was great, although we decided not to play at Harbor Town because the fees were north of $200. We played two rounds at Palmeto Dunes (the Jones and Hills courses), 2 rounds at Palmeto Hall Plantation and the Davis Love and Arnold Palmer courses off of the island. The over all experience was great. DVC has special rates with most of the courses in the area and as I recall the rates were all in the $100 to $125 range.

We used our OKW points and did our booking at 7 months. I'm not sure what the availability at HHI is, but if you are traveling and golfing in a lower traffic season the 7 month window should be pretty good.

DW has also used HHI for a "Ladies" trip. They stayed at HHI but not for golf. They used it for a base to visit and shop Savannah.

As far as WDW golf is concerned, the current DVC golf membership is a great deal. After the closing of OR and EP, there will still be 3 nice championship golf courses remainging (although I still hate the proximity of the race track to the golf courses for the noise polution). It remains to be seen if the closure puts an extreme pressure on the remaining courses or affects the discounts allowed. If the FS resort course is available to WDW guests to play, I would presume the fees would be much higher than the WDW rates. Only time will tell.

On the other hand, there are many Florida courses outside WDW property. Probably a dozen or so within a 10 to 15 mile radius. Not much different than HHI.

In conclusion, I would do as another on the thread suggested and try HHI to see if it is somewhere you would go regularly or if it would make more sense to do more at SSR or AKV and just use the points for the 7 month window at HHI as needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter