ADHD teenager and standing in line

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping I can get some advice from the lovely people here.

DH and I are taking my DDs (12 and 13) to WDW in October. We deliberately booked October as we know it is a slower time but DH and I have been before and know there is no escaping having to stand in line somewhere along the way :)

My eldest daughter has ADHD and, although she is not violent or anything, she has real difficulty waiting for any length of time and gets really frustrated at which point she normally 'takes it out' on me, by either misbehaving or complaining loudly which can be embarrassing.

I have explained to her that, if she wants to go on a ride and there is a line, she WILL have to wait. Luckily she is old enough that she does understand that. However, I am wondering if anyone with similar experiences can offer any tips on how to pass the time for her or keep her from getting frustrated. I can see it being a spoiler to the holiday after a while as she will either refuse to ride things where there is a wait or she will just moan all the time, which isn't fair on the rest of us (or those around us).

Grateful for any advice you can offer.

Does she have an ipod ? Great to use in line, even our kid's shuffles (music only) helps them be patient.

Oh, and the Fast Pass system is a HUGE help. Use it ! We get the pass, then go eat lunch or do another ride with a faster line.

My kids bring there psp or game boys and it helps ALOT! Any hand held game system is great! I hope you have a blast!
(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
Jen

Take advantage of early entry if you can, if not early entry, then at opening since you will find little wait time first thing in the morning. Also as already suggested, use fastpass, and plan to do other things (like eating lunch) while waiting for your fastpass to mature. Use the handheld games as suggested. I also always carry small snacks, like packets of goldfish crackers (that take longer to eat because there are multiplies of them) to keep my DS busy, at least for a while. It's easier when they are younger though, I used to pull out some new small toy to entertain him. Mine turns 13 this year, so I have yet to see what works at this age!!

Definitely use Fastpass! Would you be willing to leave the line if that's what your teen wants to do? That way, if she acts out, ask her if she really wants to not ride, and one adult could leave with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter