Advice For Someone who Hates Shorts...

I used to never wear shorts in public, I have fat pale legs, tanner never worked right on me. My first trips to Disney, I wore cotton or twill pants. When I had trips in hot times of year, I finally decided who cares, I am being comfortable and wore shorts.

My sister likes to wear workout leggings at Disney- comfy and moisture wicking. I don't think you could pay her to wear shorts.

I don't wear shorts in Disney. I just can't stomach sitting on all of those ride seats, chairs and benches with bare legs. Weird, I know. When it is hot, I wear lightweight hiking/climbing pants as pp suggested. Very comfy, they are made to breath and they dry quickly. Look for styles that have some stretch in them. They are really perfect for Disney. You can spend a lot or find them at good discounts especially if you look for last year's styles. I have spent $90 on a pair and then found the same style discounted to $40 on another site. It pays to shop around, especially if you find a style you really like. I have more than a few multiples in the same colors-it makes it easier to pack for trips, too.

Sites like LL Bean, Columbia, REI, Backcountry, Sierra Trading or Moosejaw. I am petite also and many brands carry petite or cropped lengths. Columbia in particular is a great brand-most of their styles come in short lengths.

When I'm at WDW during the hot summer months, I put comfort ahead of my body image. I wear whatever keeps me cool, leave my makeup at home, put my hat on and resign myself to having a bad hair day, every day. I mean, I'm not going to see anyone I know anyhow.

I rarely wear shorts on vacation unless I'm just hanging out by the pool or in my room. I burn easily so several hours out in the sun, even with sunscreen, and it's not gonna be good. I also don't like going in and out of buildings wearing shorts where there's air conditioning because I know I'll end up cold. I also prefer to wear pants if I'm going for a nice dinner. I wear loose linen pants, lightweight khakis, lightweight harem or loose pants made from a light knit fabric. We went on excursions on a Med cruise in 2013 and went to Turkey, Rome, Athens where it was well over 100 degrees with no shade. I wore linen pants or lightweight knit harem-type pants everywhere. Only wore shorts on deck on the ship.

If you really don't want to wear shorts, I second the loose fitting linen pants - in a light color to reflect the sun. I'm a big fan of light colors in the sun, (although I rarely wear them in real life. I'm a black and grey girl normally).

Congratulations on going to Disney World for the 1st time!!! Now that I'm over 60, I realized that other people don't give a hoot how I look, and so I wear items that I am comfortable in. I want to try out dresses or skirts for my next trip. Comfort is becoming more important than style.

June will be hot, so thinking lightweight pants, or long skirts would work for you. Maybe a sunhat too.

One thing I have to have is good walking shoes that are broken in. You will easily walk 8-10 miles a day.
And have a great time!

Believe me we've been to Disney at least 35 times and are never surprised at what we see people wearing! I'm sure you'll look great in shorts-- you're on vacation so enjoy and feel comfortable, you'll never see any of these people again!!

I hate shorts, they ride up and are not comfortable. I'm also very short 5'0, so regular capris are not an option but they do have a lot of petite capris/ Bermuda shorts that I like. Those are very comfortable and keep me cool in the FL heat. There have been some great suggestions in this thread, hopefully one will work for you.

Wear the shorts. There are so many people there that no one is paying attention to anyone's legs, and you won't ever see anyone again anyway. The heat and humidity are no joke when you're outside all day.

Or if it's just that much of a dealbreaker for you, wear whatever you'll be comfortable in. As long as you're comfortable, that's what counts!

I'm short too. I'm not a huge fan of shorts. Lately for Disney trips and summer, I have become addicted to golf skirts. Most of the big sporting goods stores carry them. They are basically skirts that come down to just above the knee (at least on me) and have shorts under- and those shorts don't ride up. They come in all different colors and patterns, but I do a lot of black or khaki. I like the way they look in photopass photos much better than I liked the way shorts look on me.

Another shorty here, in the hotter months I wear sundresses, rarely wear shorts. Last week I wore capris and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was, I found lots of them with pockets deep enough for my huge cell phone and so light weight I couldn't tell I was wearing them. Bonus, no bags. The no bags wouldn't work in summer since it's guaranteed to rain and I have to carry either a rain coat (I have a great clear plastic one like the CM's wear that snaps almost all they way to the ground and the hood has a drawstring) or an umbrella. If you find capris too long, look for some pedal pushers on normal people they come just below the knees on us height challenged people they look like capris.

On my most recent trips, I have worn capris at least as often as I have worn shorts. I have never been too hot or uncomfortable in capris. The difference between capris and full length pants is only a few inches of fabric. So, if you are only comfortable in pants, wear pants in a summer and/or wicking fabric. Will you be hot? Probably, but I doubt that people wearing shorts will be much cooler. I would stay aware from jeans, though. Not only are they hot, if you happen to get wet (especially on Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids), you will be miserable in wet, heavy jeans for the rest of the day.

I never wear shorts either, OP. I did get a cheap pair of capris on sale for last year's trip and loved them. I hit winter sales at JCP this year and stocked up.

If you want to stick with long pants, can you find some that are a lighter weight/more breathable material?

Disclaimer: I KNOW I'm picky/stubborn regarding this issue, and I know it's ultimately MY problem and not anyone else's. If I'm not too keen on your suggestions, it's my own fault, not yours. So don't feel like you have to actually come up with a solution for me. :) (I hope that made sense.)

Okay. So I'm going to Disney for the first time ever in late May/early June! YAY!

I am one of those people who wears pants/jeans year round. Even when it's 90+ degrees with humidity in St. Louis, I wear jeans or pants. But I'm not usually outside all day, like I will be at Disney, so I realize I'll have to alter my expectations some. I just don't like shorts. Somewhat of a body image thing, I guess (I think my legs look like twigs!) but I just... don't like shorts!

Now the most obvious solution is capris. But I don't like those either, because I have short legs, and they just look like short pants on me, even if I go with kids sizes. (I'm 4'10" rounded up, so I can get away with buying kids clothes fore most things) I realize I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and wear shorts, so I don't die of dehydration and heat exhaustion, but are there any other suggestions out there?

I wear capris and I don't care what people think my short fat legs look like.

How about skirts with bike shorts underneath? Or longer skirts?

If you don't want to wear shorts than I am guessing you would also not like skirts or skorts.

I would buy appropriately sized adult clothing and get a good tailor. Long maxi skirts or dresses are great for the parks, as are capris. This is really a pretty simple problem to fix. If you want long pants/ capris than I would look at golf apparel. The materiel is meant for being out doors in the heat, and to allow movement.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter