• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice needed related to extra DVC points

mpusateri

Earning My Ears
I just purchased the Boardwalk DVC. I have 142 points that expire in February and I can not use them. I was thinking I could trade them to someone who can use them and they could give me future points that would not expire for a while. What would be an appropriate discount for this type of transaction. I was thinking I would ask for 130 points in return. Any advice?

First, can you bank any of them to the next use year? Or you could rent them as another option. I suggest you post on the rent/trade board and see if anyone needs points for a trip in that timeframe and see what interest you get. You may not need to discount. But first check out your banking options.

Thanks for the advise. They are 2004 points and I can not bank them any further. I know I can probably sell them but I would like to retain the points for future use and wanted to trade them to somone that can use them and I want different points in return.

When you say they expire in February I'm assuming you mean it's a February Use Year which means the points must be used by Jan 31st, 2006.

Keep in mind that no matter how you do it, there's going to be a certain amount of trust involved.

If your intent is to transfer your points to someone else's account, and have them transfer points into your account, then the two transfers will have to be done about a year apart. For any account, you may transfer points in, or you may transfer points out, but you cannot do both within the same year.

You could use your points and make a DVC reservation in someone else's name, and then next year they could make a reservation using their points, in your name. Again, you'd have to make your reservation first, and trust that they would make theirs, for you.

You could make a reservation in their name, and have them transfer their points to you (This will work because there's only one transfer taking place) They could transfer 2005 points which you can bank into 2006 once you receive them, or they could transfer 2006 points. The two of you would have to work out the details. Of course this takes trust on their part since you would still have full control over the reservation you made, even after they transfer their points to you.

Just a couple of ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter