Advice Needed!!!

Mattsmommy

Mouseketeer
Today was my DS first day of school. He was placed in a class where half of the students are special education student and the other half are regular students. My DS is not a special education student and I want him pulled out of that class. The class has two teachers on regular teacher and a special ed teacher. My fear is that having him in a mixed class will delay his learning. Am I right for wanting him in another class??:confused3

I wouldn't worry, I don't think what the other kids have is contagious. You might actually find that he will benefit by being with the other children.

i really am not sure why you posted this question on a board where all of our children are disabled, but i will try to give you a polite answer anyway.

it is your personal decision whether this is the proper placement for your son, but i can promise you that regular ed kids are never held back just because there are special ed kids in a class. before you make any rash decisions (by just assuming the worst about the special ed kids and how they may negatively affect your son) why don't you go and observe the class and see if it is the proper placement for your son. talk to the teachers and find out what the curriculum will be and how they will be teaching it.

actually, your son will be benefiting from the fact that the classroom has 3 teachers to give everyone more personalized attention. and believe it or not, regular ed kids can actually learn things from our special ed kids too!!

Am I right for wanting him in another class??:confused3

In my opinion, no, you are not right.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it sounds as though there are three teachers all teaching at the same time. The regular teachers will focus their attention on the regular students, whereas the special education teacher will use adaptive techniques to work with the special education students. There will be no opportunity for your child to be delayed in learning since his curriculum will adjust based on his learning skills, just as the special education class will have their curriculum adapted based on their learning skills.

The wonderful thing about an inclusive classroom is that social behaviors are taught...acceptance, kindness, compassion. Introducing children to others who may need a bit more assistance in life at an early age helps to alliviate the ignorance that many show in later years or the ignorance that parents can often impress without knowing upon their children. What usually happens is that the regular children become mentors and friends with the special education children and those friendships last throughout their school years.

It's also possible that the inclusive setting will be for homerooms and specials such as art, music, gym, and lunch and that the special education students will head to their own room for the academics.

Be patient. It really won't be nearly as traumatic, or dramatic, as you think.

No, you are not right. Not at all.

And whatever school system you are in, I wish they did it that way where we are.

Sandra

How will it delay his learning? He has a regular ed teacher teaching a regular ed curriculum but there also happens to be a special ed teacher there to help reinforce the teaching to the special ed students.

i really am not sure why you posted this question on a board where all of our children are disabled, but i will try to give you a polite answer anyway.
:thumbsup2

My son is in second grade, but can read and spell about 1 1/2 years above grade level. I don't think it's damaging his classmates for him to be in the same room. The past two years, none of his classmates even realized that the Para was for him. They certainly didn't adapt their curriculum to suit his needs, and if and when that needs to happen, it will be handled in such a way that his classmates won't suffer.

Mattsmommy, you have to realize, many of us, and many many parents before us, fought long and hard and to get their special kids put into a regular classroom. Your child will be getting something more out of his class than alot of kids- he will learn by experience that it's okay to be different, that you can be friends with alot of people, and that we're all in this big world together. It will teach him tolerance in a way that no book can. The school still has academic standards that it will have to meet in every classroom.

mattsmommy - Perhaps you may want to clarify what you mean by "special education students." Special Education is a very broad term. I have a friend who is dyslexic, and was a top student. she just needed a little extra help getting going in reading, and learning how to cope.

perhaps you may also want to clarify how you think your child will be held back. if the class was being held back for special education students, then the school would have made other arrangements for the special needs students.

Is he starting kindergarten? or pre-school? In either case, learning the ABCs and colors is not the most important skill he will learn (although I do not discount the importance of early academic education!). it is social skills that are important. he will be learning that "SpEd" kids (yes that is what other people in my middle school called them - that is NOT my name for it!) are just like him, only a little different.

I think it is great that your son will be able to learn about so many differences in people, and be able to befriend them. At high grade levels it may be important for your son to be in a program only for "gifted" students, if that is where he belongs. btw, the smartest english/writing person i know is an Aspie, and so "special education."

but at a primary level, I am sure that the school has things well in hand. It sounds like they do with the three teachers. in my kindergardtn class we had 20+ kids and 1 teacher. it sounds like your son is in a great place! perhaps if you explain your concerns a little more clearly, we can help explain things more.

Today was my DS first day of school. He was placed in a class where half of the students are special education student and the other half are regular students. My DS is not a special education student and I want him pulled out of that class. The class has two teachers on regular teacher and a special ed teacher. My fear is that having him in a mixed class will delay his learning. Am I right for wanting him in another class??:confused3

No, don't worry it is exactly the opposite. Mom's with reg ed children love to get in these classes. Why because usually after Kindergarten there is one teacher to a ratio of 22 or so students. But instead you esentially get an extra teacher. Now you have a regular ed, and special ed. The special ed teacher works with there own children but helps out with the whole class as well. So your reg ed child gets more one on one. Plus they will not usually put any severe children in there. It is usually Autism, ADD other mild disabilities.

My son is in the 4th grade with ASD. This is the first year they did this with him. He has his assistant teacher, the Reg Ed teacher and a Special Ed teacher. The parents love being in this class. The children are doing wonderful and can learn at an excelled rate. Classes are doing this more and are finding the REG ed children that are in these classes are soaring. I would give it some time before you pull him out. It will be just fine.

:thumbsup2

My son is in second grade, but can read and spell about 1 1/2 years above grade level. I don't think it's damaging his classmates for him to be in the same room. The past two years, none of his classmates even realized that the Para was for him. They certainly didn't adapt their curriculum to suit his needs, and if and when that needs to happen, it will be handled in such a way that his classmates won't suffer.

Mattsmommy, you have to realize, many of us, and many many parents before us, fought long and hard and to get their special kids put into a regular classroom. Your child will be getting something more out of his class than alot of kids- he will learn by experience that it's okay to be different, that you can be friends with alot of people, and that we're all in this big world together. It will teach him tolerance in a way that no book can. The school still has academic standards that it will have to meet in every classroom.

Becky,

I totally agree! Sounds like our child has almost the same exact scenario. I couldn't have sad it better!

I work in a preschool like you have described, and believe me he will benefit in so many ways! Socialization is so important in the younger years and kids learn from peers who are similar and different from them. In our school the children learn acceptance and to call everyone their friend even if they are different. My school corporation has been using inclusion for many years and it is wonderful to see the special education population blend with the general education students in later years because they are accepting of differences.

Another thing to keep in mind is because there are special needs children in the classroom, there will be more adults. The resource teacher, the OT, PT and ST will be part of the classroom staff as well as any of the aides. I know I play with and work with many more students than I am assigned because I am there and help with group activities. Please give it a chance and visit the classroom with an open mind.

At least where I am these inclusion classes not only have 2 teachers but also a paraprofessional working with the kids. The paraprofessional is technically for the ESE kids but really works with all the kids. All the kids grow in this enviroment. It is up to you whether to pull him or not but I wouldn't because the inclusion classes seem to has the best and most creative teachers in the school.

At least where I am these inclusion classes not only have 2 teachers but also a paraprofessional working with the kids. The paraprofessional is technically for the ESE kids but really works with all the kids. All the kids grow in this enviroment. It is up to you whether to pull him or not but I wouldn't because the inclusion classes seem to has the best and most creative teachers in the school.

I have to stick up for the OP. Everyone is looking at all the positives BUT there can be negatives and my DD was in a class that was not a good situation. There was an aide but not another teacher for 6 special needs students 3 of which had severe emotional and violent tendencies. they could disrupt the class for an hour with kicking screaming throwing desks, throwing them selves on the floor screaming and kicking. This was not a conducive for learning for the other 18 students who had to sit there waiting while the teacher tried to deal with them. They were also told to not hit back if they special students hit or kicked or bit them- I told my DD she was not to just stand there taking it and I would deal with the school if she got in trouble.
So while in many situations it can be good for all there can also be a negative side to this issue and each class needs to be looked at individually.

I have to stick up for the OP. Everyone is looking at all the positives BUT there can be negatives and my DD was in a class that was not a good situation. There was an aide but not another teacher for 6 special needs students 3 of which had severe emotional and violent tendencies. they could disrupt the class for an hour with kicking screaming throwing desks, throwing them selves on the floor screaming and kicking. This was not a conducive for learning for the other 18 students who had to sit there waiting while the teacher tried to deal with them. They were also told to not hit back if they special students hit or kicked or bit them- I told my DD she was not to just stand there taking it and I would deal with the school if she got in trouble.
So while in many situations it can be good for all there can also be a negative side to this issue and each class needs to be looked at individually.
Hannathy, what you are talking about is a totally different creature. OP is talking about an inclusion class. What your child had was 3 ESE students that were mainstreamed fulltime with only a paraprofessional for support. I would not like that situation myself. Because there was no ESE teacher present there was insufficient controls for the ESE children. There really was no one to remove the student disrupting the class. Unfortuantely some parents of ESE kids who need to be in a self-contained classroom absolutely refuse to allow it and it is very difficult for the school system to place them into LRE (least restrictive enviroment). Inclusion is not always the least restrictive enviroment.

Hannathy, what you are talking about is a totally different creature. OP is talking about an inclusion class. What your child had was 3 ESE students that were mainstreamed fulltime with only a paraprofessional for support. I would not like that situation myself. Because there was no ESE teacher present there was insufficient controls for the ESE children. There really was no one to remove the student disrupting the class. Unfortuantely some parents of ESE kids who need to be in a self-contained classroom absolutely refuse to allow it and it is very difficult for the school system to place them into LRE (least restrictive enviroment). Inclusion is not always the least restrictive enviroment.

Thanks you beat me to it! That is definately the case!

No, you are not right. Not at all.

And whatever school system you are in, I wish they did it that way where we are.

Sandra

First of all, I have to say that your kids are beautiful. My kids have repaired cleft lips and palates. My oldest is adopted from Korea, he is 20. My youngest is adopted from The Phillipines, he is 17.

I think an all inclusive class is better.

I drive a school bus, and everyone rides the same bus.

The one thing only I need to clarify is that she may not know what ESE is...
The acronym is Exceptional Student Education. Meaning Special Needs....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter