Advice Needed!

NewRunner

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone!
I really need your advice! I am signed up to run the Rebel Challenge in January, but due to health reasons will be unable to complete this race. (I am having major surgery in December so it's completely out of the question). I now have the opportunity to run the Infinity Gauntlet challenge in November. The problem is....I am not ready. Because I wasn't feeling well, I haven't been training/running. Over the past few months, I have run a few times, but definitely not prepared enough. I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge in February and completed it with no problems. What I'm wondering is...can I start training now, and get in a few "long runs" (maybe 6 and 8 miles) and do the Avengers half? Is it possible? I would really like to earn my Coast to Coast medal. My health issues will not be affected by running, in any way. I am thinking I could try and just walk as much as needed but maybe this is a bad idea? I could walk the 10k and then take the half very slowly???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
THanks!
Becky

I'm going to move this over to the RunDisney subforum for more traffics :)

Hello everyone!
I really need your advice! I am signed up to run the Rebel Challenge in January, but due to health reasons will be unable to complete this race. (I am having major surgery in December so it's completely out of the question). I now have the opportunity to run the Infinity Gauntlet challenge in November. The problem is....I am not ready. Because I wasn't feeling well, I haven't been training/running. Over the past few months, I have run a few times, but definitely not prepared enough. I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge in February and completed it with no problems. What I'm wondering is...can I start training now, and get in a few "long runs" (maybe 6 and 8 miles) and do the Avengers half? Is it possible? I would really like to earn my Coast to Coast medal. My health issues will not be affected by running, in any way. I am thinking I could try and just walk as much as needed but maybe this is a bad idea? I could walk the 10k and then take the half very slowly???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
THanks!
Becky

I guess it is possible to do, but how hard it would be would depend on how experience you are as a runner before your health issue developed. If your Dr gives you the ok to try it then it really comes down to how you want to complete the challenge. Are you okay with saying you did it, but by walking, or would it mean more to you to complete the challenge later on after your procedures by running/racing it? With less than a month or so to go, just skip any tapper and try to get at least one 10 mile run in the weekend before the half. I would also advise at least 25 MPW. If you think you can do those two things, then I think you can run/walk the races just fine.

I think the human will/spirit allows us to do many things that we wouldn't think ourselves capable of accomplishing. For this reason, I think it is likely that you would be able to begin training in this short window and still be able to finish the challenge. I would qualify that by saying a lot of things can go wrong over the course of 19.3 miles for even the best prepared athletes, so it's certainly not a given.

I can't really recommend one way or the other whether you attempt the challenge or not, that is a much more personal decision. Good luck making the best decision for you.

Also if you're doing it to get a C2C you could always just do the half marathon as the challenge is not required. Of course that medals overall but it takes away the stress of running (or walking) two days in a row.

I think it doesn't hurt to try! And i bet you could do it. You have experience doing a half, well a challenge really, so you know what to expect. I think if you went in open to the idea of walking when needed that you'll be able to do it.

I ran my first half marathon less than 8 weeks after my first-ever 10k. If you've been running since GSC, you can likely train up to at minimum finish the race.

You'll definitely need to skip "taper" week and try to stretch yourself out to 10 miles the week before the half.

This is the plan I used and it really helped me get to Half distance (for finishing, not for setting the world ablaze with my epic speed):

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

If it were ME personally making this decision, I would follow the above plan and do weeks 3, 5, and 7 with week 8 being the Avengers half. I'd also swap Thursday longish run with the Saturday timed run to prep for the stress of the back-to-back. I would also plan next-to-zero park time for the Avengers trip.

And all of that being said, I would never do this unless a doctor signed off on it given that you'll be having major surgery after the race. And don't forget - with no proof of time, you'll likely be in the last corral for both races. You know your pace and overall conditioning. It would be a real shame to go out there undertrained and get swept, forfeiting the C2C medal - or worse, push yourself too hard and get hurt.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer or anything ... it's really just the short timeframe that makes me nervous! I'm not sure I would attempt a challenge with basically four weeks left to race day. Just the Half marathon? Sure. I think you can get ready to finish a half marathon in this time frame, given you've already run one.

As some others have said, if you set your mind to it you can achieve it. My question is how enjoyable would it be for you though? Are you going to feel satisfied with the expereince once you cross the finish line? If you have some foundation and can get in some miles in the next few weeks it is achievable, but it is going to hurt. These races are addicting and I totally get the desire to go for it, just make sure it is worth it to you. If you go I hope you have a good race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter