Advice on resale or direct for adding on…

emiller

Earning My Ears
We purchased 150 Direct at GFV last summer. The plan was always to buy more, either at direct or resale.
We stayed at the Yacht club and loved it so have found a 100 point contracted, fully loaded at the Beach Club for $125 per point. Total $12,500, obviously 2042 expiry and matches our UY. Is this a good deal?
Would you go for this or we would look to buy another 100-150 points direct this summer either Riv or potentially Poly 2.0?
We’re in our late 20s and have 2 children so plan to go to Disney for a long time.
Thanks

I would have a hard time buying a 2042 resort but to be fair, they are not at the top of my list either.

Those points won’t be good at RIV, VDH, CFW and potentially future resorts

And, your VGF points won’t be good there until 7 months which could limit whether you can extend a stay

But, if BCV is a place to want to stay and 18 years is worth it, then it can be a good deal.

I tend to agree with Sandisw on a lot of things, so again - my opinion only ...

In addition to what she said:

Yacht Club is not BCV; make sure you're also ok with the location of the villas building, the walk to SAB and the restaurants, the (no) views, etc. (otoh, super short walk to Epcot)

You're in your late 20s - when BCV expires, you'll be younger than (or maybe the same age as) I was when we first bought into DVC. And while your kids are young, your time is pretty flexible so maybe you can try out a stay at BCV before committing. There will continue to be resale contracts for sale. (But for right now, that is a decent deal)

SAB - I say this a lot on these boards - can be challenging with younger kids and people who aren't strong swimmers. The little slide is across the walkway at the pirate ship, and kids taking the big slide need to enter across the walkway to end up in the big pool. The lazy river is all deep, and I have personally helped adults and kids to an exit point because they couldn't get there themselves. (former lifeguard). My youngest is 8 and a good swimmer, only back in 2022 did we really feel like we could enjoy all that SAB has to offer. And they like it, but they are happy anywhere there's a slide. 🤷‍♀️

(That said, when we want to do something different from our home resorts, we look at BCV/BWV first.)

We purchased 150 Direct at GFV last summer. The plan was always to buy more, either at direct or resale.
We stayed at the Yacht club and loved it so have found a 100 point contracted, fully loaded at the Beach Club for $125 per point. Total $12,500, obviously 2042 expiry and matches our UY. Is this a good deal?
Would you go for this or we would look to buy another 100-150 points direct this summer either Riv or potentially Poly 2.0?
We’re in our late 20s and have 2 children so plan to go to Disney for a long time.
Thanks
Do not buy 2042 resort unless you have the money and can live with the value loss. I am 30 and our family is exact same with two young girls. I love those resorts but after several spreadsheets, BWV and BC offer terrible value for someone looking at the 20 year window. Granted, hard for finance mindset to get pass the "I love it though" but it is important to point out that it was often bottom 5 in value for resale. I would rent points there in the near term or try the 7 month window. I would buy where you want elsewhere resale.... my SAP finalist for a family like yours /mine was Saratoga, Copper Creek, BLT, GrandFLo, and Poly. Not exact order but those offer decent value and have their own advantages. I settled on BLT because of lower dues and decent contract length with close access to MK (family favorite). CCV was the best value on my chart all in but I just prefer a couple other resorts.

Direct with benefits is nice and sometimes the better deal but you already have member benefits now so not sure that matters. Only thing that would sway me is if you wanted more points to combine with those 150 for trying newer resorts because 150 on those future point charts won't get you much. I like split stays, so I would just use the 150 for newer resorts and buy cheap resale to stay elsewhere. Financially at our age, I am not able to afford tons of direct points so I would have opted for more points now resale to get us on vacation and when the time comes buy more direct if needed. Lots of life on these resale contracts but 2042 is coming quick and our kids will be college age before long.... maybe you do not need to vacation after 2042 to disney anyway.

Most people say buy with your heart and that is true... I just think that ignores reality of money and reality would tell me to buy points elsewhere (non 2042) and rent those out some years to get BC resort instead that year. You get the same benefit almost but not tied to a contract that is currently aging out and still priced high imo for the life left.

We bought BCV and are very happy with it because that's where we want to stay on some of our trips and I don't want to keep fingers crossed at the 7-month mark to get in there. Sure, it expires in nearly two decades, but... so what? We also bought VGF direct for the long game and keeping blue-card eligibility.

Price wise, yep, that's a good BCV price for a relatively small contract.

If you're not set on being at BCV then yes, you could find other longer term contracts at lower prices. But if BCV is what your heart is set on then it's a good price. Enjoy the heck out of it for 17-18 more years. Lots can change in that time.

This is super personal: I’m not opposed to buying 2042 resorts, but for me to consider it the price needs to be much (much!) lower than current prices. That price is very close to other good resorts with more years (decades) left.

Just my opinion but you've already got all of the direct benefits from your 150 pts, so unless being able to use newly acquired points at 7 months at future resorts is important to you, I personally would be buying resale wherever it is I wanted to stay, including RIV (though I'd really want to get a great price for RIV due to the restrictions.) For Poly if you're wanting 1BRs I'd want to wait and see what happens with the association/tower, if OK with studios I'd just pull the trigger on resale Poly 1.0 points.

I'm looking at this sort of thing myself, and for us the 2042s are out of the picture. Just don't see the value there compared to other offerings. That being said if I was really in love with one and significantly valued the 11 month booking advantage, I'd probably still do it knowing and accepting that we would keep until the end with zero residual value.

Not bad at all. Look back on what you paid for that Yacht Club stay. This is a vacation savings plan. You love the resort. Nice points chart. Plenty of years left to enjoy that home resort advantage. In 2042 those dues drop off and guaranteed some other new or refurbished DVC acquired location will tempt you to restock points.

It's an excellent price for a fully loaded BC. We bought in this year and although we are older we have a young child and honestly 18 years feels kinda perfect for that particular contract. The pool is for him and to be close to epcot and HS and we also got a pretty sweet price at the end (long story look for the thread someday!) that made it worthwhile.

If you want to stay at BCV on points you need to own points there - its a difficult reservation to secure for non-owners - not impossible, but if that is where you and your kids want to stay, you'll want the insurance of owning. If the math works out (very basically: dues + (point cost/years)) < cash reservation at Y&BC) I'd buy enough to stay there, even if it will expire when you are still young - your kids will be in college before it does and you'll have gotten the value out of it.

I will also say that I'm another who is not a fan of SAB with kids - with very young kids its great, then there are a few years where its really a difficult pool - the sight lines are horrible, the slide entrance is far away, you can't keep an eye on kids who get independent, the "lazy river" is deep and really not lazy. Then that passes - but about that time your kids want a "real" waterpark and SAB is too small, its slide is too small, and can we go to Blizzard Beach, Mom. Add in the "walk through the lobby in your swimsuit to reach the pool" part of the deal, and SAB is not my thing. BUT...BCV popularity shows me that plenty of people don't share my opinions.

Not sure how old your kids are but I have three at 7 and under. I agree that Beach club make little sense financially, but I don’t care, and I’m up to 300 pts at Beach club.
The memories of the vacations we’ve taken at Beach Club, once or twice a year, over the last 4 years have been the greatest of any resort we’ve stayed at(and we’ve stayed at all dvc resorts except Saratoga).
Walking out of your room in the morning and strolling into Epcot, late night swims at storm along bay with the kids, taking the skyliner to Hollywood studios in the morning and then coming back to Beach club room for kids naps, then hitting Epcot for pizza dinner at via Napoli. For me Beach Club is magical and in 18 years i won’t care that my initial spend for 300 points has evaporated, because at worse I’m still paying substantially less than Disney rack rates, and getting 2 bedroom villas.

My wife wants beach club,

we can’t make the cost benefits work out…. BCV will expire just about the same time we want to retire ….

for us BLT Poly and RIV makes more sense for use time wise …. And we have points at all three

your kids are going to be in college and your going to find yourself buying in again while paying for school.

if you are open to RIV direct, it is a really nice location and hotel …. If you don’t mind being tied to one resort, resale riveria could be nice

Not sure how old your kids are but I have three at 7 and under. I agree that Beach club make little sense financially, but I don’t care, and I’m up to 300 pts at Beach club.
The memories of the vacations we’ve taken at Beach Club, once or twice a year, over the last 4 years have been the greatest of any resort we’ve stayed at(and we’ve stayed at all dvc resorts except Saratoga).
Walking out of your room in the morning and strolling into Epcot, late night swims at storm along bay with the kids, taking the skyliner to Hollywood studios in the morning and then coming back to Beach club room for kids naps, then hitting Epcot for pizza dinner at via Napoli. For me Beach Club is magical and in 18 years i won’t care that my initial spend for 300 points has evaporated, because at worse I’m still paying substantially less than Disney rack rates, and getting 2 bedroom villas.

I think it makes fine sense financially if you would stay at the Y&BC if you didn't own DVC. The cheapest room nights at BC according to Mousesavers in 2023 were $543 a night (no discounts but Mousesavers does include tax). The cheapest studio for 2023, if you had spent $125 a point, works out to around $220 (the simplified calculation). You'd have to be getting GREAT room discounts dependably.....and none of this factors in inflation (or, to be fair, time value of money on your investment) Its still a great deal if what you want to do is stay at the Beach Club - and don't mind the difference between hotel and timeshare.

It doesn't make sense if you are happy anywhere at Disney and plan to be taking DVC vacations in 2043.

I think it makes fine sense financially if you would stay at the Y&BC if you didn't own DVC. The cheapest room nights at BC according to Mousesavers in 2023 were $543 a night (no discounts but Mousesavers does include tax). The cheapest studio for 2023, if you had spent $125 a point, works out to around $220 (the simplified calculation). You'd have to be getting GREAT room discounts dependably.....and none of this factors in inflation (or, to be fair, time value of money on your investment) Its still a great deal if what you want to do is stay at the Beach Club - and don't mind the difference between hotel and timeshare.

It doesn't make sense if you are happy anywhere at Disney and plan to be taking DVC vacations in 2043.
The price per point v the number of year you can use them really makes it a no brainer to look else where, since the purchase price is going to be much less than the dues….

This isn’t a huge difference in price pre point between BCV and any other resort, some with double the life

I'm nearing mid 30s, and we just bought a BWV contract this spring. We already have 320 points elsewhere with a longer expiry, and really wanted something around Crescent Lake, so we didn't mind the 2042 expiration. I just booked our first stay - a 2 bedroom over wine and dine weekend, which I never would've been able to do without owning there.
Had I seen a 100pts BCV contract at that price in my UY, I would have absolutely purchased it. Is it the most economical DVC purchase? No. But if it's where you want to stay, then it's absolutely worth it.
We've been able to use our BLT points to book a stay at BCV before, but it takes a lot of stalking, and often upgrading from a studio to a 1 bedroom.

The price per point v the number of year you can use them really makes it a no brainer to look else where, since the purchase price is going to be much less than the dues….

This isn’t a huge difference in price pre point between BCV and any other resort, some with double the life

Only if your goal is "staying on property" - not if you root goal is "to stay at the Y&BC." If you would pay cash for the Y&BC, buying a BCV contract still makes sense. If you want a deal on vacations - I would avoid WDW all together. If you want a cheap timeshare, there are better options - even in and near Orlando. Let's face it, none of us are making the best possible financial decision when we buy DVC - or go to WDW.

Moreover, not everyone buys DVC to use for more than the 18 years left on the contract. People buy cause their kids are that age, they buy because they are newly retired. I really don't care if there is any life on my contract in 2042 - I'm old and frankly, we don't use the points we have - we will long be past Disney when the points expire. I have other 'assets' to pass to my kids.

It may be financially unwise to buy a few hundred points in a 2042 as your only home resort. For a second, relatively small resale contract I don't think you should be dissuaded from a 2042 resort you love. Besides, addonitis is real. You'll be buying another hundred or so points at a third resort in a few years anyway.

Everyone has made such valid points, I feel even more torn. If we add on now, I just know we will end up adding on again as our boys get older. Add-on-Itis is a real thing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter