Advise picking parks to visit

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just don't see the point of getting park hoppers with little kids but maybe I'm wrong here.

My plan is to spend morning + lunch at the parks, then head back to the hotel to rest and pool time (and some days mornings at the hotel + afternoon at the parks so that we can see the fireworks).

We are new visitors so it's not like we can go to a park just for 2 hours and head straight to our favorite ride. We don't know any rides and we don't know where anything is located hahaha

I don't see us having the energy to visit 2 different parks per day
I think park hoppers are great depending on where you are staying. We always get park hoppers or AP as we stay at BWV so we can easily walk to Epcot or DHS in the evening. I find Epcot has more space for my girls to explore in the evenings when the crowds may be higher than MK. Also, we typically go over the holidays so the girls can watch the storytellers after they wake up from their nap.

One additional thought regarding park hoppers. When it was just DW and I, we always did park hoppers and absolutely swore by them. Even the first trip with DD, we had them, though that was March 2020 and we checked out mere days before the Covid shutdown. However, with the park pass system we just don't feel that park hoppers are worth it for us.

The main reason for that is that DW is a teacher and, as such, we are limited to going over spring break, summer break(we do NOT go over summer when it is so hot and humid, we live in TX, we get enough of that as it is), Thanksgiving break, and Christmas break.

Since these are all busier times and we eat dinner at table service restaurants each night, we don't want to run the risk of missing a reservation because we are not able to get into the second park in the afternoon. We actually have been during the holiday time period before when parks did reach capacity even before park pass reservations/reduced capacity, so we just don't personally feel that it is worth the risk of not being able to make a reservation due to capacity. Going in February like you are, I doubt it will be as big an issue but that is just our perspective on the matter.

I just don't see the point of getting park hoppers with little kids but maybe I'm wrong here.
If I were taking care of a 1.5, 4, and 6 year old child in a WDW park, I would not be able to take a resort break and then return to a park, whether it's the original park or a new park. That said, I try to rope drop and prefer to not to push my kids too much as park experiences can be overwhelming.

If I were taking care of a 1.5, 4, and 6 year old child in a WDW park, I would not be able to take a resort break and then return to a park, whether it's the original park or a new park. That said, I try to rope drop and prefer to not to push my kids too much as park experiences can be overwhelming.
We have a 4 and 2 yo and we usually park hop in the evening. My girls pass out after 4-5 attractions but can only sleep in the stroller. After they wake up we go back to another park and let them run around. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way. Just depends on how you like to visit the parks

We have a 4 and 2 yo and we usually park hop in the evening. My girls pass out after 4-5 attractions but can only sleep in the stroller. After they wake up we go back to another park and let them run around. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way. Just depends on how you like to visit the parks
I agree, no right or wrong. We used hopper when our kids were little. Even when I went with them as the only adult, we would hop. Disney makes it easy with the busses.

I agree, no right or wrong. We used hopper when our kids were little. Even when I went with them as the only adult, we would hop. Disney makes it easy with the busses.
We own at BWV so we can easily walk to 2 parks and can return to the room from every park except for AK when the girls fall asleep in the stroller.

I guess I always grew up going to Epcot in the evening so that is what I know. My girls enjoy walking around Epcot in the evening so it works for us.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't want to spend the extra $$ on par k hoppers if most likely we won't use them

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't want to spend the extra $$ on par k hoppers if most likely we won't use them
I think your plan for not hopping is a good one. You can figure out how Disney works with your family this first trip together. And after you come back from the parks you can have pool time.
I was just reading a thread a couple above this one about pools and young kids and it made my heart smile.
DS is now 25, but when he was little like yours, it was all about the pool.
So partial days at the parks then some pool time sounds like a great setup for you while you all figure out what works best for your family.
There’s always future trips to be had if you want them, and as the kids grow, your way that you do Disney may change.
Have the best time!!!!

I think your plan for not hopping is a good one. You can figure out how Disney works with your family this first trip together. And after you come back from the parks you can have pool time.
I was just reading a thread a couple above this one about pools and young kids and it made my heart smile.
DS is now 25, but when he was little like yours, it was all about the pool.
So partial days at the parks then some pool time sounds like a great setup for you while you all figure out what works best for your family.
There’s always future trips to be had if you want them, and as the kids grow, your way that you do Disney may change.
Have the best time!!!!
Thanks!!!!! :)

Your plan seems like a good one, and you can always adjust the reservations for the parks if you find one is a hit with your family or if you didn't have enough time.

We usually do 6 park days each trip with a few rest days. We have a 2 year old.

2 MK
2 Epcot
1 AK
1 HS
And then adjust the reservation for the 2nd Epcot if we preferred a different park at that time or missed doing something

Hi everyone!

We are travelling in February with kids ages 1.5, 4, 6.

This is our first time visiting and would appreciate your help in picking which parks to visit. We have 7 day base tickets.
We are not interested in rollercoasters or scary rides as we don't want to split up during the day. Also, we will probably be doing just half days or taking a long break in the middle of the day as I don't think my kids will have the energy for a full day at the parks.

Which parks would you recommend for the 7 days?
I was thinking:

MK x3
AK x2
EPCOT x1
DHS x1

Thanks so much in advance!!
Hi, everyone. This is my first post here. Wow- I am floored here by all things Disney.
OP, Our first trip as a family was when my son was six years old. MK was by far his favorite park during our stay.

One great memory we have is of our son at the Crystal Palace. He was very shy and was adamant that he did not want to personally meet the characters. Well, that all changed when Winnie the Pooh and the gang strolled in. We have some great pictures from that day.

We are headed back in February. He is now a teenager but we still plan to spend time at MK. HS will be our other priority.

Best of luck on your trip!

Our kids are 14, 6 and 3 and our 3 year old has been to WDW 5 times. Do not book park hoppers if you’re planning on buying Genie+, esp. at HS. The LL return times jump into the afternoon for most rides. We did horseback riding (8 and up?) and pony rides (younger kids less than 48 inches) at Fort Wilderness lodge (not to be confused with Wilderness lodge) and didn’t head into Hs until the evening (booked Genie+ rides from 4 pm onwards).

February is not peak season so you could possibly stay late and ride rides with less waits. The morning advantage gives you just 2 rides now that lot of people avoiding Genie+ are lining up before park opening at the gates.

Check the stroller width requirements. Our six year old needs a stroller. A Joovy Caboose ultralight sit stand (you can add a padded seat) folds smaller than some of the single strollers. For the third child an umbrella stroller or a small GB pockit stroller would work and fold down to go into a bag. Definitely have a convertible diaper bag (ALLCAMP Zebra). We have a Colugo carrier.

Epcot has 7 rides for little ones - living with the land, spaceship earth, frozen, Remy, Gran Fiesta tour, figment, Nemo PLUS turtle talk with crush

We love the Skyliner and not having to fold the stroller (stroller policy has changed and too wide strollers are no longer allowed).

CADF37DD-AD9C-4F3B-A5B7-3280FF30B67B.jpeg

Last edited:
Five persons is too many to keep together all-day! You need to consider splitting up into two groups for at least part of the day. Dad could take the older kids in the afternoon, while Mom naps with the baby. Perhaps the older kids may want to try a roller coaster.

You will have lots to talk about when you reunite for dinner together.

-Paul

I guess I always grew up going to Epcot in the evening so that is what I know. My girls enjoy walking around Epcot in the evening so it works for us.
Epcot was usually a night park hop for us as well. Not sure why this had become our norm. Guardians threw a monkey wrench in that tradition.

I used to feel that way too but lately with the more recent additions there's more for the little ones. We all (including my less than 2 year old and 5 year old) rode MMRR and Toy Story Mania, and my oldest was able to do mostly every other ride (including Slinky, RoTR, Alien Swirling Saucers and ToT) with Rockn Rollercoaster being the exception. Plus they have the Disney JR characters at the Disney Jr Dance Party thing.
Since the addition of Toystory Land and Galaxy's Edge, HS has also become a park we spend ALOT of time in. My DH could walk around GE for hours just looking at all the details.

We just got back from a trip with a just turned 2yo, 7 yo and my older kids who have been multiple times. For us we were focused on the little guy because this would be the first trip he would understand more.

While we had a fabulous trip, I would say don't focus on any one child because what kept happeneing was that by the time I made it to something for him he was asleep, etc.

I started realizing I had to do early things for him and then while he napped in the stroller I could put us on the bigger rides.

Rider swap took way more time than I had anticipated. In the past we had Grammy, but she didn't join us on the trip.

Also, while for my older kids I would agree with everyone that AK is good for just a single day, we didn't take our time and see all the animals. A little one could spend 20 minutes just watching monkeys while you relax and eat mickey bars!

If I had more time I would definitely give AK 2 days like this, because it will be a very relaxing park for all of you that way.

DAY 1 breakfast at Rainforest Cafe (my LO loooved eating here, it was not planned but was the perfect start to our day) or Tusker not cheap but of all the character meals this has better food than the rest and the characters are cute in safari outfits, do the safari ride, see animals, take some time to eatch the street performers, little ones get up amd dance and move around, shows watch Lion King and grab lunch.

Day 2 do whichever breakfast you didnt get the first day, navi river, FOP if you want (rider swap took almost 1 hr for this because the preview shows alone are almost 15 minutes, ride almost 5, so our second half didnt go on despite paying for ILLs because we had a dinner ressie and weve done it tons of times - this is a sacrilege for many on this board), animal attractions, its tough to be a bug (1.5 yo might not wear 3d glasses and keep them on), petting zoo and DEFINITELTY do the Nemo show, play a carnival ride game, ride Dinosaur and Triceratops and then maybe grab lunch at Yak and Yeti before you leave. My kids love the duck but all their food is good even if you dont have adventurous eaters.

They also love the carnival games. There is one ball throwing game with wiffle balls that my lo could do. They are expensive but soon to be extinct and we love them.

Glad to answer any specific questions on other parks. My 2yo was 2y and 4 days on this trip.

We did a trip last year with a 8-month-old, 3-year-old and 7-year-old. We only did a single day in AK and regretted it, my older two could easily have spent 2 full days just wandering the animal trails and doing the different kid-friendly activities. Loved the affection section/train. They spent an hour playing in the boneyard playground alone and had a BLAST.

Epcot was also a big hit with our littles. They loved exploring the seas and had so much fun with all the kidcot stops in World Showcase.

HS was the hardest with them. There wasn't a ton for them to do and it is a harder park to navigate crowds IMO.

I'd do 2 x MK, 2 x Epcot 2 x AK and 1 HS

You don't need hoppers. Assuming your kids don't care about Star Wars, HS is def a one day park for little kids. Frozen singalong, Muppets, Buzz, Aliens, Belle show, maybe MMRR if you want to wait in line. And you're done. Don't do it on a weekend, as it is also the smallest and most crowded. Hollywood and Vine is the BEST at this age. And the food is pretty good.

AK doesn't have a lot of rides per se for kids, but it has a lot of filler, like the trails and the train and all of that. It's pretty amazing at this age.

I would leave the last day open to what you missed. Maybe book MK, but be flexible to swap to Epcot. Epcot is almost always available. It will depend on your kids. Mine would probably pick Epcot and make me ride Figment twice.

If you have a princess fan in the group, don't count out Epcot. You can see the princess appearances in the app, and they are special. My whole goal last trip was Aurora in France.

Last edited:
It's nearing February and I just want to chime in and vote for an extra day at Epcot. My kids are young and we all love it!

thanks for the reply!!
I don't think we will be spending a full day anywhere; most likely just the morning or just the afternoon. so it's more like 3 half days for MK
I am sure they will like to repeat their favorites :)
Yeah. I disagree with less days at MK. With your rides and ages, 3 days is perfect.
The other 3 is kinda tricky based on what you would all enjoy. I’m sure you’ll do your homework to figure out what to double up on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter