Afraid of crowds at Christmas

Embrace the insanity! As others have said, it’s all about expectations and attitude. We just planned our third post Christmas to New Years trip. The crowds are unlike anything you have seen before, or will ever see again, and it is......fabulous, IF you have the right mind frame!

Morning EMHs and rope drops will still be incredibly productive, then you schedule your FP+ selections for the evenings. You’ll still get plenty done and you get to enjoy the parks and resorts in their Holiday finest.

If maximizing the number of rides and attractions you do is your number one priority you will be frustrated by the crowds. However, if you have a solid plan, enjoy soaking up the atmosphere, and can roll with the punches you WILL have a Magical time, unlike any other time of year can provide.

Oh, and the lack of summer heat is another plus plus!

We did that week last year for the 1st time. I was prepared for the worst but honestly it was not as bad as I thought it would be. We rope dropped just about everyday, used our fast passes starting about 11, then left about 1 or so, rested, ate, even swam a couple times, then would go back for the evenings. We were able to do everything we wanted. We did not go to a park on the 30th, did MK on the 31st for fireworks, and EPCOT on the 31st. EPOCT was crazy but super fun with the dance parties in World Showcase. I would do it again for sure!

You just have to know yourself. I can't do Black Friday shopping, or Times Square on New Year's Eve, or anything with crowds like that. Some people LOVE the excitement of those experiences but I just can't handle it and know it. Just be aware that it'll be nuts and either embrace it or avoid it.

We’ve been 3 times from 12/15-12/25 and it’s insane, but I embrace it. All 3 times we saw mk close around 11am due to capacity from 12/23-12/25 as we were leaving, but never had an issue returning after dinner.

Disney is actively working to get people to spread out their visits, because the weeks surrounding Christmas have been operationally challenging due to the crowds. Despite the blockout dates for certain APs, higher prices for one-day tickets, and higher prices for certain restaurants and hotel rooms, and widely publicized phased closures at the Magic Kingdom, it doesn't appear that these tactics have done much to curb demand.

For many Christmastime at Disney is just that special a period. I have a friend who will always go to Magic Kingdom on Christmas day, every year, and is sad any year he misses out on it.

Going for Christmas this year. Quite unexpectedly. The first step is to accept that there will be crowds. I suppose the second is to decide what you are willing to do in order to limit your exposure to crowds. For example we will be staying out of the Magic Kingdom on 12/24 and 12/25. There are going to be a lot of folks who feel that they HAVE to go to MK. We're going to Animal Kingdom for Christmas and have our dinner at Boma. It'll be crowded but not Magic Kingdom crowded. AK doesn't have a fireworks show or anything.

There will be fastpasses at the parks we go to, and plenty of things to do that don't involve going to parks.

I would love to go on Christmas day sometime, just for the experience! But my AP blocks out that date and I'm not willing to pay for it. Also, I go enough that I wouldn't really care about the attractions; I'd just like to see those crowds in person and BE IN DISNEY WORLD ON CHRISTMAS DAY! The combination of two of my favorite things sounds magical to me.

I booked for November 27th to December 6th, thinking it would be a bit slower... but the lack of hotel availability makes me worried it will be pretty crazy... I've only went in October, February & March before.

The first week in December is a GREAT time to go. Hotel availability has a lot to do with Pop Warner football and cheerleading going on during that time. I've been December 2-9 (ish) for 10 of the last 15 years and will be back this year!

When i go during the Holiday's I never plan on riding ANYTHING...its normally a zoo like crowd...I just go to "look" at everything...if i happened to come across a ride with little to no wait (unlikely) then i jump on it....but b prepared for the worse crowds of the year...BUT i also lived in Orlando for 25yrs so it wasn't a big deal for me not to ride anything...having said that...no way in the world would i plan and pay to arrive at WDW during the holidays...to crowded...to expensive!

When i go during the Holiday's I never plan on riding ANYTHING...its normally a zoo like crowd...I just go to "look" at everything...if i happened to come across a ride with little to no wait (unlikely) then i jump on it....but b prepared for the worse crowds of the year...BUT i also lived in Orlando for 25yrs so it wasn't a big deal for me not to ride anything...having said that...no way in the world would i plan and pay to arrive at WDW during the holidays...to crowded...to expensive!

Sums it up perfectly, IMO. The only reason to go is to see the decorations and enjoy the atmosphere. If that's you, I'm happy for you. Otherwise, there's no point in dealing with the pandemonium. For me, Christmas tradition is all about being at home with friends and family so -pass.

We’re planning to go Dec 15-22 (Sat-Sat) before Christmas. What do you think were looking at for crowd levels?

I saw some pictures posted here on Disboards showing how crowded it was in MK Christmas week this year. It was wall to wall people, based on that (and knowing from friends who have gone that time and hearing how insanely crowded it is) I personally would not go during that time.

But like others have said it is what you can tolerate - I go in August when the heat is unbearable to a lot of people. I personally can deal with the heat more than 10 crowd levels.

We were at WDW the last two Christmases when our son was a CM and coming down here for Christmas was the only way we were going to see him for the Holidays. While I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers, we didn't have a problem with going then. The key is to get there at opening, use FPs, and be prepared to "bug out" when the crowds reach the point in the day when you don't want to dodge and weave people. Manage your expectations, and you'll have lots of fun. The only time we saw it at "mad house" levels was right after the Christmas Parade on Christmas Day.

We were at WDW the last two Christmases when our son was a CM and coming down here for Christmas was the only way we were going to see him for the Holidays. While I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers, we didn't have a problem with going then. The key is to get there at opening, use FPs, and be prepared to "bug out" when the crowds reach the point in the day when you don't want to dodge and weave people. Manage your expectations, and you'll have lots of fun. The only time we saw it at "mad house" levels was right after the Christmas Parade on Christmas Day.
Completely agree!! Go in showing now fear, realistic expectations, and enjoy being at Disney. (FP also help greatly)

I'm going Christmas week too and my goal is to soak in the atmosphere and decorations rather than running to all the rides. I figure the rides will still be there any other time. I also don't plan on going to MK on Christmas Day and may avoid on Christmas Eve.

Define "Christmas time". If you're talking the time the Christmas decorations are up then crowds vary from quite manageable in early December to crazy starting on the 21st through New Year's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter