African Safaris - any tips or advice?

Yep, I'm with your wife! We stayed at Nayara Tented Camp in the rain forest of Costa Rica. The resort was designed by a firm that builds luxury tented camps in Africa....there was nothing "tent-like" about it.....it was incredible. Looks like the company you went with is essentially doing what our TA is doing....just on a grander scale. Everything is customizable. You're going to have a great time!

We're so far out that we can't even book our fights until October, but I've been watching them for a long time....and will book the first day we can as the price only goes one way after that...and it's up. We're able to fly direct on United from Newark to Cape Town...and again direct from Johannesburg to Newark. In country we're using AirLink to get from Cape Town up to the Kruger area and again from Kruger to Johannesburg. We have a trip in between this trip....to Panama this winter and I'm trying to focus on that and not overlook it...but it's hard because we've been looking forward to the South African trip since it got cancelled in May of 2020.

We're constantly checking airfare as well - we haven't booked the flight to/from Johannesburg yet, but we know we will be going through Newark as well on United. Hoping the price will dip a little bit - we'll jump on it at that point.

All the other flights (including Airlink to/from Victoria Falls and Mozambique) has been booked through the agency.

We're constantly checking airfare as well - we haven't booked the flight to/from Johannesburg yet, but we know we will be going through Newark as well on United. Hoping the price will dip a little bit - we'll jump on it at that point.

All the other flights (including Airlink to/from Victoria Falls and Mozambique) has been booked through the agency.

Yeah, I've been watching the dates for this September for months (for business) and they're crazy high for the two of us, but 11 months out, it's been at 10,600 RT for the two of us....which isn't awful for a 15 hour flight! If you guys are flying economy.....looking at google flights it's around 6K which says it's low for that route, about $2,300 cheaper than usual. It may not get much better.

DH and I have buying the fully refundable tickets from united lately....for the SA trip it runs about $1,000 more for RT business, but like $200-$300 for economy. That not only helps in case we had to cancel, but we've also found that if the price drops we rebook the cheaper seats. We just had this happen with flights we booked to Panama.

Right now, it's about $1,800 pp in economy (we're hoping to use miles to upgrade) for us through Newark (we're from Cleveland). When flights started showing up, they were closer to $1,500-$1,600 pp, so we're hoping it might dip a little.

Right now, it's about $1,800 pp in economy (we're hoping to use miles to upgrade) for us through Newark (we're from Cleveland). When flights started showing up, they were closer to $1,500-$1,600 pp, so we're hoping it might dip a little.
And as if on cue - I just checked the flight again and it dropped back down to like $1,520 each. Booking them now 👍

I’ve never quoted myself before - it’s kinda weird. 🤣

FYI,

We bought clothes in safari colors (tan, brown and olive green) and it turns out that it wasn't necessary at all even though the packing list they gave us specified that. We knew it was completely unnecessary when our Massai guides showed up at our final camp wearing brightly colored traditional clothes.

I'll be following along with this! My brother and I decided to take my mom to Africa next year. After a lot of discussion we finally landed on Tanzania and Zanzibar in May. We are in the very beginnings of planning and it will be just the 3 of us. But I'm already planning on going to Namibia and probably Bostwana) with my husband and son in a few years, so I need all the info and advice I can get!

During the summer of 2019, I took my family of 4 (me, DH, DS now 26, DD now 24) on a two week trip to London (3 days) and South Africa (9 days). It was a bucket list-last family vacation hoorah-college graduation trip. None of the guided tour trips I looked at did what we wanted to do or fit my $12,000 (total including flights for all 4 of us) budget. We wanted a mostly safari focused trip with lots of animal viewing time in multiple locations, so our chances of seeing everything were increased. The guys in the group wanted to play golf at least once. We also wanted a couple of cultural/educational experiences and to take a day to see the sights on the Panorama Route. We hired a guide for 2 days of private safari in lower Kruger Park from Hazyview (spent 5 days there at a Protea Hotel on credit card points). Then we drove up through the middle of Kruger, stayed in one of the national park tent camps (Tamboti), and rode with a Kruger guide for 2 days. The last 3 days we spent at an all inclusive safari camp in the Timbavati Reserve in the Greater Kruger Area (Shindzela) where we were pampered, and all but one of our game drives were private - just the 4 of us in the jeep. Our trip was AMAZING!!! We got to do exactly what we wanted to do, and we payed a whole lot less than we would have on a guided tour trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

We got the required shots and took malaria meds. We bought a new camera, a pair of binoculars, electricity converters, and an animal viewing guide before we left. We packed warm clothes and light coats as it was winter in South Africa when we went. We also got some SA Rand from AAA before we left so we had plenty of tip money. Our cell phone service was with Verizon. My DH researched different phone options with Verizon before we left. We had one person in our party do the $10 a day Travel Pass plan each day. Usually the two kids traded off. It wasn’t that expensive. If I think of any more tips, I’ll add them.

ETA: added a link to the Trip Report I did when we got back.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-would-you-do-with-2-weeks.3757869/post-61091111

Last edited:
So, my wife and I just put down a deposit on a true bucket list trip - we're taking our boys on a safari for our older son's college graduation and younger son's delayed (by a year) HS graduation presents. We're spending 8 days in Botswana at four different camps, plus two days at Victoria Falls and wrapping up with 4 days at aa beach resort in Mozambique.

We don't leave until next May, but are trying to figure out anything we will want to bring with us, plus how to pack lightly but enough to cover all of what we need. We know we'll need to get visas and malaria shots, but that is a while down the road.

Anyone done a safari tour? Any tips or tricks or general suggestions? Thanks. :)
Vic falls is absolutely amazing. Get the poncho if you have a camera. Lots of activities there like bungy jumps, micro lights and heli flips, but quite pricy. Devil’s pool if you’re brave. We visited in June and the water level was still good, but not super high May should be the same.

Safari’s are always good ;) Everyone will do their best to make sure you have a great time. Khaki clothes definitely not compulsory, but maybe don’t wear day glo ;) Bring layers, May can be chilly in Morning/Evening

Get a decent camera, but don’t forget to just be in the moment.

for a taste of Botswana read the No1 Ladies detective agency.
Enjoy the food, the meat in Bots and the seafood in Moz is amazing.

No advice, only good wishes....sounds amazing! Are you going with a tour company?

We have a similar bucket list trip next September to South Africa. We're going for 16 days...and while the 9 nights at three different safari lodges is in stone (many book out a full year in advance), we've played a bit with the first 7 nights in the Cape Town area. We're working with a travel advisor, but not doing a group tour. She's helped us set us accommodations, transportation and has set us up with excursions in the Cape Town area including historical tour, sea marine "safari", a wine tasting day when we stay at a resort/spa in Franschhoek (wine tasting region in SA). For the safari portion of the trip we've chosen lodges at three different game reserves in the Greater Kruger area.

We also looked at the Phinda reserve in South Africa and an option that included Botswana, but the lodges that interested us required flying in to their private airstrips and the "soft-sided" luggage deal. We're not big packers, but the luggage can't even have wheels, and without a place to stow another bag (because we're flying into Cape Town and out of Johannesburg), we couldn't figure out how it would work. This is our first trip to Africa and so we decided on a cushier trip for this first time.....figuring we're not going to hate it and will likely want to go back. There are some people on the Trip Advisor forums who go again and again....some must be fabulously wealthy as they're staying at incredibly expensive lodges. But...they say it's addicting
You will have an amazing time, which reserves will you be staying in?

Nothing to add other than I am soo jealous! I had a trip fully booked to Tanzania for a 5 day Serengeti safari and a climb up Mt Kilimanjaro. Alas, it was in fall 2020 and did not happen. Still trying to work out a time to rebook it.

Vic falls is absolutely amazing. Get the poncho if you have a camera. Lots of activities there like bungy jumps, micro lights and heli flips, but quite pricy. Devil’s pool if you’re brave. We visited in June and the water level was still good, but not super high May should be the same.

Safari’s are always good ;) Everyone will do their best to make sure you have a great time. Khaki clothes definitely not compulsory, but maybe don’t wear day glo ;) Bring layers, May can be chilly in Morning/Evening

Get a decent camera, but don’t forget to just be in the moment.

for a taste of Botswana read the No1 Ladies detective agency.
Enjoy the food, the meat in Bots and the seafood in Moz is amazing.
Thanks for the tips! My younger son really wants to do devil's pool, but I read somewhere that late May/June isn't a time when you can swim in it, but we'll see.

Timely post! I am about to put down our deposit for a twenty day trip in July to Kenya, Tanzania and then resting on the beach in Zanzibar! I recommend a good camera and wash and wear nylon type tops and bottoms. The people are amazing on the continent. Enjoy!

DH and I leave Jan 6 for 19 days in Southern Africa. Starting in/around Cape Town (wineries, Robben Island where Mandela was jailed, V&A waterfront). Then fly to Vic Falls/Chove NP. Then Rovos Rail for 4 days, stopping daily for safaris: Hwange NP, Matobo NP), to Soweto. Flying to Hoedspruit to stay at Kapama for game drives.

We have all the immunizations except malaria and given its complexity and the fact that there is not an outbreak now, opted not to do that. Just taking lots of DEET based spray.

We did buy tan/khaki/olive pants and tops but also have to "dress" for dinner on Rovos and at Vic Falls hotel - cocktail dresses, shirt and tie for men, nice shoes. Should be fun to get all that in our 44 pound luggage allowance!

Will report back in late January!

DH and I leave Jan 6 for 19 days in Southern Africa. Starting in/around Cape Town (wineries, Robben Island where Mandela was jailed, V&A waterfront). Then fly to Vic Falls/Chove NP. Then Rovos Rail for 4 days, stopping daily for safaris: Hwange NP, Matobo NP), to Soweto. Flying to Hoedspruit to stay at Kapama for game drives.
Where are you staying at Chobe NP (I assume that's what you meant above)?

Timbavati and Sabi Sands. Can't wait for this trip :).
Down south at the posh lodges ;) You will almost be guaranteed leopard sightings. Here in the middle it's a bit quieter but still have plenty to see. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter