After a Sea World Visit, Why Do I Always Feel Like I Never Want To Go Back There?

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
It has been 4-5 years since our last Sea World visit. I am in San Diego right now at a beach house and we just went to SW last Friday. I doubt we would have gone to SW on this trip but my DS17 has his delightful girlfriend along and he pushed for a day at SW or USH (in addition to DLR ;)) and we settled on SW.

Once again, after we left SW I had the feeling again that I hope to never return there.

On the previous two SW visits it became clear to me that SW does not know how to do many things including food. They are very strict about what you can bring into the park (more strict than DLR) but then once you get inside they do not provide enough food outlets so you are forced to wait in a 30-45 minute line even at off-peak hours.

On our last visit we delayed lunch for our small kids until 3PM because of the horrendous lines and then finally bit the bullet and just waited it out because the lines never went down. This trip we took sandwiches in a cooler in our car and headed to the parking lot at lunch. When I saw those long food lines all afternoon - which I did - then I knew we got to avoid them. :cool1: SW has not fixed that in the last 5 years it would appear.

On the last trip the food issue was huge. Not this trip because of our sandwiches.

On this trip I spent a little time on the SWSD website beforehand. I had three issues this time.

First was they have a special offer going right now. It is an adults at kids price of $55 and with that you get two days at SW. Normal adult price is $65 and we had seven adults in our group if you count our five teens as adults. It was not 100% clear from their website if this special deal was available at the gate. So I called SWSD and they told me it was.

So we show up at the ticket booth and I tell her I need 7 adult tickets and she tells me it will be $65 per ticket. Nowhere did I see it posted on their gate prices the $55 deal. I then told her I had called SWSD and was told I could get the kid's price at the gate. Then she said we could get two day tix for $55. She was totally going to exploit my supposed ignorance on prices to get an extra $70 from me. Wow! So I told her I wanted the two day tix and she happily sold them to me for $55 each.

So I started the day with a bad feeling. Soon I got the second bad feeling.

On our previous SWSD trip they had just opened their new Atlantis ride. On that trip we showed up to the gates early and got in line right away. We got in line but it never moved. After waiting 30 minutes they told us the ride was not working and we would have to come back. We could continue to wait but they had no idea when it might be fixed. No return ticket or anything. So we decided to abandon the line. We did return in the afternoon when the line was over an hour long to try it again. After we waited another 30 minutes everyone decided we were too tired and so we left again without riding even though we invested 60 total minutes.

Now we come to this trip and I want to make sure we get on the Atlantis ride. So I wake up five - count 'em, five - teenagers early so we can get to the gates before opening. Have you tried recently to wake up five sleepy teenagers early? They were good sports but we were working against the laws of nature. Fortunately our beach house was only a five minute drive to SW.

Bottom line is we did manage to get to the park gates about five minutes before the 9AM opening. And we headed straight for Atlantis. But when we got there it became clear that Atlantis was not open. What? We then looked at our park map and it says that Atlantis does not open until 10AM in the summer! What? So we could have let the teens sleep another hour and still been in the same boat. That got me steamed but I had to roll with it as we were all there to have a good time.

I never saw anything about the 10AM opening on the SWSD website and just now re-checked and there was nothing there. :mad:

So we lost our early arrival advantage and went to Wild Arctic. Then we came back to Atlantis at 9:50AM. We were maybe the 100th people in line. 10AM comes and goes and the line does not move. At around 10AM they start sending ride vehicles around and around. But the line does not move. Finally at 10:30 the line starts to move and people are let on to ride. We get on the ride at 10:40 but were planning to see the 11AM Shamu show and now we may have a conflict.

We did the ride and everyone agreed that it was worth only a 10 minute wait max - not that great - and we will probably never ride it again. We waited 50 minutes even after our early arrival.

So now we are barely starting our day and I have three sour feelings about SW. The attempted over charge at the gate, the unannounced delayed opening of Atlantis, and then the ride operators appeared to not even try to get the ride going by the 10AM opening.

We get off the ride at 10:55AM and walk like crazy to the Shamu show where we had to sit way up top after arriving two minutes late.

And a bit sour is how I felt all day long. You know, you do not feel good about things but you are with your family and just suck it up. But wouldn't it be better for SW to make you actually feel good about being there? And open their key rides at park opening so you can ride it with a short line and feel like it was worth it to wake up and get there early?

My conclusion is that SW does not know how to do rides or food. They do know how to do good shows and we saw four of them. But the good shows were not enough to erase the sour start. I left SW feeling like I hope to never have to go back there again...

SWSD has such a beautiful setting and if they would go an extra mile here and there people like me who see how theme parks should be run (like DLR) would be more likely to return. Oh well. I will go elsewhere next time. Last time we were at USH it was clear they were trying really hard to improve their weak areas.

Wow - I was at SW last Friday, too, with 4 adults/1 child and experienced nothing like that. I've been on a Saturday and it's much worse than last Friday.

SW only has 3 major rides (Atlantis, Wild Artic, and Shipwreck Rapids), so, yep, they've got lines that get longer throughout the day. Even the kiddie rides can have 30+ minute waits in the afternoon. We skipped Atlantis this time, because when we got to it in late afternoon it had a 90 minute wait. I like the ride, sorry you didn't. I like the combo of wet/dry and the boat lift.

Food can be hit or miss - the Italian kitchen place, always long waits for not great food. Shipwreck Cafe, great food and lines that move. Same for the other place we ate. The brisket was wonderful! They both had 4 lines serving at peak times. We ate at 12:30 and again at 6 and had nothing like what you experienced.

The 11 Shamu show is the first of only 3 for the day - all 3 are bound to be packed. It's true, if you want a great spot for Shamu/dolphin/seal shows you need to be prepared to sit and wait, not show up late (though I get why you were late; same thing happened to me for one show Friday as well).

I agree that some of their ticket sellers leave something to be desired...we upgraded to annual passes and bought the dining plan for the day...and the guy didn't give us passholder discounts on the food, so we had to wait in line to fix it. But customer service was nice, apologetic, cheerful, and gave my inlaws the passholder discount on their food to compensate us a bit.

It's my opinion that if you're trying to see all that SW has to offer in a day you'll be disappointed. Everyone that's there is trying to do the same things - 3 rides and as many shows as they can squeeze in. Then there's the rest of it - aquariums, animal viewings (rays, dolphins, seals, etc.), meals...that will take up as much time as you choose to give them.

Hi Deb - it is not so much we were trying to "see everything" and were disappointed because we couldn't. We just wanted them to make us feel good about being there and, well, attempt to have available what they claim to have available. My DW worked there as a ticket seller in college and I myself lived in SD for 6 years. If you skip the rides and the food then SWSD is a great place. As I said, they do great shows and the setting there in Mission Bay is breathtaking.

When I lived in SD some 20 years ago they did not have rides. Now that they have them they should try harder to make them enjoyable. It looks to me like they are not serious about the rides.

Yes, there are just the three Shamu shows. And one is in the evening. So we needed to make either the 11AM or the 1PM as we did not know if we would be there into the evening. We usually shoot for the first show of the day because it is least crowded and not as hot. And we thought we would have plenty of time to get to the 11AM show with our 9AM arrival.

The shows were great. The exhibits and education was great. The weather was great that day as you must have experienced too - a little on the warm side for SD beaches but nice.

But going from an "OK" or "nice" theme park experience to one which really makes you feel good and want to return means the operator paying attention to all the details. Small details like being forced to wait a long time for food (which did not happen this time) can drag you down. When we went 4-5 years ago we checked several food sources and they were all very long. If we ever go back I will remember the Ship Wreck cafe as a better option but I think we will always do sandwiches in the future.

I called SW as well and they told us we could buy the adults at kid's prices + an extra day for $55 at the gate. Thanks for the heads up. I think we will try to buy and print the tickets on line before we leave.

I have also heard that SW food is bad and the lines are long. Our plan is to pack sandwiches in the car and eat in the parking lot. I'm glad to hear that worked for you.

The lines for Atlantis sound way too long. I think we will pass on that ride.

FWIW, I would also add that originally we were planning to go on Saturday but switched to Friday for reasons summarized by Astro above.

We did ride Shipwreck Rapids in the afternoon. It was posted as a 60 minute wait and it did take 65 minutes. No real complaints there. Be advised what I reminded my kids about before we went on this ride. It is not like Grizzly River Run at DCA where you might get wet. On Shipwreck Rapids you will get completely drenched. My kids did not entirely remember and then after we got off and we were all completely drenched they remembered. :laughing: They put you directly through a waterfall so there is no way to avoid it.

As we saved this for the last activity of the day we just headed straight back to the beach house to change into dry clothes after. :cool2:

And finally, I think it is really chintzy for SW to charge extra for the bucket ride and the tower ride. After $55 (or $65) those should be part of the experience. Total no brainer. With the extra charge it keeps the lines down, I guess. Once again, SW does not know how to do a theme park with rides. They should charge less and stick to shows.

We have visited a few times in combo with DLR and USH and really have never had a bad experience. Did Atlantis twice and since it was so d*** hot the soaking was appreciated. Did all the shows and loved them, still made it back to Anaheim by midnight for MM the next day.
My kids teen to early 20's do not sleep back 5AM during the regular school year so getting going early is never an issue.

For some reason never found food a problem, again this is during August. Maybe time to give up on SW for a bit.

Jack

I've only been to SW once (last summer) and didn't have any problems but you're right, it's not the same as being at a Disney park.

If you happen to find yourself making another unavoidable trip to SW in the future might I make a suggestion? Do the Shamu picnic. I think it was only $12/person so it's about the same price you would pay for food anyway plus the food was higher quality (imo) than the regular park food and we showed up 10 minutes before the show to get our reserved seats. We weren't in the splash zone (would't want soggy sandwiches) so we didn't have really close seats but the seats were good and I would definitely do it again if we go back.

I've only been to SW once (last summer) and didn't have any problems but you're right, it's not the same as being at a Disney park.

If you happen to find yourself making another unavoidable trip to SW in the future might I make a suggestion? Do the Shamu picnic. I think it was only $12/person so it's about the same price you would pay for food anyway plus the food was higher quality (imo) than the regular park food and we showed up 10 minutes before the show to get our reserved seats. We weren't in the splash zone (would't want soggy sandwiches) so we didn't have really close seats but the seats were good and I would definitely do it again if we go back.
Thanks. :)

I agree on the Shamu dining...if you find yourself ever back at SW, we always do the breakfast with Shamu. The food is not bad (typical buffet) and the up close whale/trainer interaction for an hour can't be beat...and then you can head right into the 11 am Shamu show and get great seats.

We actually love SW...but we don't go for the rides or the food really. Other than the breakfast, all we have ever eaten there is some ice cream in the mid afternoon---I take a few snacks in for the kids and we do the big breakfast, and ice cream later. We are usually done with the park by dinnertime.

Buying tickets online and printing them out ahead of time is a big plus too, I guess. Saves that one customer service interaction---guess I will keep doing that after reading your experience.

We go for the animal interaction and the shows...and save the rides for Disney. Sorry you had such a tough day!!!!

We did DLR for 2 days last summer, then SW for 2 days.. I left feeling like I should have taken the advice of a DIsser...do it in reverse- DLR after SW. After experiencing the awe of DLR, Sw was like being on another planet. I am glad we decided on 2 days for SW b/c we were able to see most of the shows. They do 2 things really good there-shows and landscaping. The gardening and landscaping is breathtaking! But the rides, while a lot of fun, are not organized well and have ridiculous waiting times! DItto what was mentioned by hydroguy. The food? I have not stopped complaining about it yet. Now, granted it IS theme park food. But how is it that DLR can get it right, but other parks cannot? We ate 2 meals in SW park, but after tasting the nuggets and mac/cheese my DD1 was eating I through it in the trash. yuck!!!We were fortunate to be staying at the Dana on Mission Bay, which was a few minutes walk (literally across the street) so we hiked back to the hotel for meals the next day.Food was waaaay better. My DD liked SW b/c she is a definite animal lover. Would I do it again??yes, b/c DD likes it. IF I were by myself... I would avoid it like the plague!!! As an aside, We went in AUgust last year while they were doing the SUmmer Nights promo. They had 2 awesome live bands playing near the entrance at night. DD really enjoyed dancing to the music and I must say they were really good bands. The highlight of our SD portion.

WOW! im so sad to hear that you dont like it. however it does make me wonder if you just dont have a interest in marine life and aquatics perhaps? because, forgive me for saying this its not meant to be rude, just an observation, it seems are picking out every possible bad thing you can think of to rag about, which does make me wonder if you just dont care enough about sea world to enjoy anything. you almost set yourself up for a bad trip that way. i am ABSOLUTELY in love with sea world. but i am and always have been interested in marine life and oceanography and actually am working towards my degree to become an animal trainer there. i have never had anythng about sea world i didnt like. ever, and ive been there ALOT. its been a while since ive been because of moving, but i will be there february, and, like disneyland, i love sea world so much, that pretty much nothing will turn me off to it. i think you are picking little things, anything you can, out to complain about it, but that says maybe there is a possibiliy its just not what your into and not your cup of tea, which is completely fine if your not into that thing. just remember you have to really REALLY want to do something, to enjoy every bit of it, or you may be disapponted.

WOW! im so sad to hear that you dont like it. however it does make me wonder if you just dont have a interest in marine life and aquatics perhaps? because, forgive me for saying this its not meant to be rude, just an observation, it seems are picking out every possible bad thing you can think of to rag about, which does make me wonder if you just dont care enough about sea world to enjoy anything. you almost set yourself up for a bad trip that way. i am ABSOLUTELY in love with sea world. but i am and always have been interested in marine life and oceanography and actually am working towards my degree to become an animal trainer there. i have never had anythng about sea world i didnt like. ever, and ive been there ALOT. its been a while since ive been because of moving, but i will be there february, and, like disneyland, i love sea world so much, that pretty much nothing will turn me off to it. i think you are picking little things, anything you can, out to complain about it, but that says maybe there is a possibiliy its just not what your into and not your cup of tea, which is completely fine if your not into that thing. just remember you have to really REALLY want to do something, to enjoy every bit of it, or you may be disapponted.
My DW used to work at SW (selling tickets) and at one time had her career plan to be a marine biologist and work with the whales or dolphins at SW or elsewhere. I lived in SD and SW was a fixture there like the famous SD zoo. I went lots of times. I used to enjoy SW more before the rides.

I think it is true I have higher standards now that I have a family and have to deal with the issue of hungry kids and disappointments when things are not running, etc. SW is competing with DLR these days and charging similar prices for admission (at least for single day). I think it is fair for me to compare how they do things and where they fall short. I think it is fair that if SW makes it so hard to bring food into the park and you have kids, that I think they should make food plentiful in the park and not make you a hostage to 30-45 minute lines for food.

That I have had the experiences I have had are worht sharing with other people. That is what these boards are for.

Like I said, when I was single these were non-issues. Now with four kids I look at things differently. :cool2:

My DW used to work at SW (selling tickets) and at one time had her career plan to be a marine biologist and work with the whales or dolphins at SW or elsewhere. I lived in SD and SW was a fixture there like the famous SD zoo. I went lots of times. I used to enjoy SW more before the rides.

I think it is true I have higher standards now that I have a family and have to deal with the issue of hungry kids and disappointments when things are not running, etc. SW is competing with DLR these days and charging similar prices for admission (at least for single day). I think it is fair for me to compare how they do things and where they fall short. I think it is fair that if SW makes it so hard to bring food into the park and you have kids, that I think they should make food plentiful in the park and not make you a hostage to 30-45 minute lines for food.

That I have had the experiences I have had are worht sharing with other people. That is what these boards are for.

Like I said, when I was single these were non-issues. Now with four kids I look at things differently. :cool2:

i DO understand the food issue. we went through this at six flags. MOST places were atleast half hour wait for food, but we walked around till we found something faster and ended up finding something with NO line at all. but usually at sea world it doesnt bother me at all because the price of park food so we usually leave the park and eat someone else. also a good tme for naps for the kiddos. then we go back later. it doesnt bother me cause park food is so pricey anyways. however i do like stopping at the smaller stands to get ice creams and drinks, ect. happy vacationing:)

Are you back home now Trey? Did you do a mini TR on your one day at DLR?
We did a day trip on Wed Aug 5. I really do not like day trips because you get so exhausted and it makes evenings less enjoyable. But they are better than no trip at all. :)

The trip was my DS17's idea. I was planning to skip DLR on this outing to SoCal but with DS17's GF with us he really wanted to go to DLR. At that point I lobbied for a 2-day trip but only one of our four kids wanted 2 days and everyone else wanted a day trip. I will add some comments here over the weekend. :goodvibes

And finally, I think it is really chintzy for SW to charge extra for the bucket ride and the tower ride. After $55 (or $65) those should be part of the experience. Total no brainer.

Ah see, I'm glad it's separate, b/c I'd never do it, and would feel that I'm losing money. :)

Trey did you get to see the Pets show?

Ah see, I'm glad it's separate, b/c I'd never do it, and would feel that I'm losing money. :)

Trey did you get to see the Pets show?
We did. The Pets show was a blast. Biff was hilarious.

We saw Shamu, the dolphin show, Pets (which is the sea lion show) and Cirque de la Mer. :)

We love SW and go often! At Disneyland one must know the parks and how to beat the crowds to enjoy it fully. Same is true at Sea World. You have to plan your day a bit for rides and shows to avoid long lines or having to sit way up high for a show.

We've been there so many times that crowds are never a problem. Even on a busy day I've never waited more than 20 minutes for Atlantis. Shipwreck Rapids gets a HUGE line mid afternoon on a sunny day. Don't ride it then!!!! Early morning both rides have almost no lines, same at night. Last visit we rode Atlantis round and round with zero line late at night the last 2 hours the park was open. Same with Rapids. Lots of fun!

Knowing the park and its crowd patterns makes for a great day. Same thing with Disneyland.

We love SW and go often! At Disneyland one must know the parks and how to beat the crowds to enjoy it fully. Same is true at Sea World. You have to plan your day a bit for rides and shows to avoid long lines or having to sit way up high for a show.

We've been there so many times that crowds are never a problem. Even on a busy day I've never waited more than 20 minutes for Atlantis. Shipwreck Rapids gets a HUGE line mid afternoon on a sunny day. Don't ride it then!!!! Early morning both rides have almost no lines, same at night. Last visit we rode Atlantis round and round with zero line late at night the last 2 hours the park was open. Same with Rapids. Lots of fun!

Knowing the park and its crowd patterns makes for a great day. Same thing with Disneyland.
Yes, but...

Where does one learn the crowd patterns? For DLR and WDW you can read about it online and/or buy software that will help you.

Where could I have found out about the delayed 10AM opening for Atlantis? I tried. That would have saved me a lot of frustration.

As far as food offerings, where can one learn about that and how to avoid incredibly long lines? Again, DLR and WDW are not bad in this regard but I can easily go online or buy a book and find guidance on how to reduce frustration at Disney parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter