After Hours MK

Thomasfouraker

Earning My Ears
I know there was a thread a few years back by GaDisneyDad14 for Magic Kingdom After Hours FAQ and Discussion.

I was looking for one for the 2023 year events but couldn't find one.

The first event is the 9th and this will be the first after hours since 2019 we have attended and will be our 5th ever. I have always been very pleased in the past and have no reason to expect otherwise. It seems like everything will remain the same with "Free" snacks and drinks. Hoping the train will be running during the event as well.

Anyone else attending on the 9th? We have a few day stay at the FW Campgrounds and the kids are really excited planning out our trip!

I know there was a thread a few years back by GaDisneyDad14 for Magic Kingdom After Hours FAQ and Discussion.

I was looking for one for the 2023 year events but couldn't find one.

The first event is the 9th and this will be the first after hours since 2019 we have attended and will be our 5th ever. I have always been very pleased in the past and have no reason to expect otherwise. It seems like everything will remain the same with "Free" snacks and drinks. Hoping the train will be running during the event as well.

Anyone else attending on the 9th? We have a few day stay at the FW Campgrounds and the kids are really excited planning out our trip!
We are going in March and haven't been in while. It would be great to restart or start a thread if there isn't one. We're really looking forward to it!

I’m attending on the 9th. I’ve been to a Villains After Hours and hope this one will be as just as great! We would love for the trains to be running as well. I doubt it will be, but hopefully I’m wrong!

I’ll be there on the 9th! We went to the Christmas party last year, which was pretty good, and we’ve been to AHs events in the past. We’re also going to HS on the 11th. I’m looking forward to both. I’m very cold-natured, so I hope I don’t freeze on the outdoor rides!

I’ll be there on the 16th - really looking forward to your impressions and plan to report back myself after our night. We did an AH event in late Jan 2020, and it was one of the best events - if not the best event - I’ve attended.

I'll also be there on Jan 16, this will be our first after hours event. Does anyone know if there is a complete list of attractions that will be available? We're hoping to hit certain favorites before the event begins if they will not be available after hours. Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to hearing reviews of this. We will be there in March, and trying to decide if it will be worth it for us. For those of you there tonight, let us know your thoughts tomorrow!

Okay I’m on the bus back to AKL, I got to the bus stop and was the only one at 1:39AM, one group came behind me and we got picked up at 1:49 and the bus left right away.

Here’s a play by play, I got into the park just before Enchantment so it was pretty hectic getting a party wristband. They are in each land and I did not have any wait to get line, the CM told me the closest was by Stich’s Great Escape so that’s where I went. I had no plans other than I wasn’t going to do Small World lol

10:08 Into Pooh queue, listed 15, almost walk on as there were less than 20 in line
10:11 onto Pooh, no line when I got off

10:18 into Dumbo, listed 5, super long queue to walk through
10:21 up in air on Dumbo, walked right on just with a few kids, CMs said we could stay on after if we wanted to

10:24 into Barnstormer, listed 5, walked right onto front row just me, people were choosing front row (you could pick) so I’m sure you could stay on in any other row other than front

10:30 tea cups looked empty and speedway looked almost walk on as well

10:35 into Peter Pan listed 10, fair amount of people waiting in interactive rooms
10:43 onto Peter Pan

Saw at least a dozen people in line for lantern photo, never passed by again to see if it went down

10:49 into Haunted Mansion queue, standby 13, just got cutoff from going inside but basically the only wait is for the preshow
10:56 onto buggy

No snacks in the areas I passed through, finally saw first snack cart by Liberty Tree Tavern, no wait

Water, sprite, Diet Coke, and coke in the pretty bottles
Ice cream included Mickey bars and I think the strawberry bar and ice cream sandwich
Freshly popped popcorn

I sat and ate half a Mickey bar, a little popcorn, and some Diet Coke, lingering only a few minutes

Saw another snack cart by jungle cruise, no line, JC listed 5 but I skipped as I’d be too awkward if it was just me on the boat

11:15 into Pirates, listed 5
11:16 walked onto Pirates, boat was mostly full

Saw another snack cart by Big Thunder, had I known BTMR was going to be closed ahead of time I might not have gotten tickets as I would have liked to have ridden that a few times

11:28 into Splash, listed 5
11:30 walked onto Splash in any row of my choosing, you could have a private log and no one was in the log ahead of or behind me

After Splash I took a bathroom break at the Splash bathrooms

Peter Pan listed 30 wow glad I rode, 7DMT 25, Astro Orbiter 10, Meet Mickey/Princesses 10, Pooh 10, all else was listed as 5

Saw another snack cart by Pecos Bills

Saw maybe two people in the Magic Carpets

More snack carts in hub by Adventureland and Tomorrowland

Lines for photopass in hub were maybe 2-3 parties deep, plenty of opportunities to take your own photos in front of the castle with no one in them

Another snack cart by Space Mountain, this was the busiest one I saw with maybe a dozen in line, still only a minute wait

11:58 into space mountain, listed 5
12:01 walked onto space, both sides open (I think right side is a shorter walk?), most cars were full despite walking on
12:05 off ride
12:08 back outside, it’s a long walk

Another quick bathroom break by space mountain

7DMT listed 35, Astro Orbiter listed 10 with maybe 30 people on the ground in the queue so I skipped (I have yet to do this one)

12:12 into buzz, listed 5, walked right on
12:18 off buzz

Speedway listed as 0, not sure if I’ve seen a 0 wait listed before, 7DMT back down to 25

12:20 back into space mountain queue, listed 5
12:24 onto space
12:27 off space
12:30 back outside

I noticed lots of solo guests throughout the park, and a surprising amount of runners (I myself did Dopey)

Still a line at the cart by space, I waited a minute at 12:31, it moves fast and I got another popcorn and a regular coke for the pretty bottle

12:36 into 7DMT queue, listed 25, extended through entire covered portion where the gems are
12:55 onto 7DMT they thankfully gave me my own row
12:57 off 7DMT

12:58 into 7DMT queue, listed 20, line looked a bit shorter maybe by 5 minutes and moved faster
1:12 onto 7DMT, less than 20 people behind me probably for two more carts

Character water art on the ground on the way out before going through the castle

Two photographers left on Main Street, one for castle shot and one for Christmas tree shot, Castle shot had maybe 6 parties in line

1:23 they closed the photo lines, I was in the castle line with two parties after me around

One more bathroom stop by fire station

1:33 left MK

1:38 to AKL bus stop, no one else there, one other group did come after me
1:49 AKL bus arrived
2:03 dropped off at Jambo, driver asked and we all were going to Jambo

The tree takedown crew was leaving as I got there, the Christmas tree is finally gone! Wonder if it’ll get taken down in MK tonight or if not because it was open so late

Overall thoughts:

I did 12 rides, I do regret doing Dumbo and Barnstormer as I don’t really care to ride those, I just wanted something that would be walk on at the start. I knew things like Peter Pan or Space Mountain would probably have longer lines at the start due to regular guests jumping at last minute, and I was on that side of the park.

I wish snack carts were on the AH guide as I seemed to be in the one part of the park without snack carts in the beginning.

Overall I don’t think this is worth the cost if you’re someone like me. I come a few times a year either solo or with one other person, so I typically use Genie+ in MK and am very good at using it. I can usually ride just about everything in one day, whereas there was nowhere near enough time to do everything during AH with the long queues to walk through and long walks between rides. I did have a slow start but even an extra half hour if I skipped Dumbo and Barnstormer would only have gotten me maybe two other rides, perhaps Jungle Cruise and another ride on something.

7DMT seemed to be longish all night, I doubt it was ever near walk on. Almost everything else was walk on because all the crowds were probably in line for 7DMT. I would NOT get in the queue until maybe 5 minutes before close so you can maximize your time doing other rides. If you want to ride multiple times or if you’d be heartbroken if it went down, certainly ride it earlier maybe halfway through AH to ensure regular guests are gone. But this was a big time suck for me (20 minutes for that first ride).

I can see AH being worth it if you hate Genie+ and staring at your phone, and want to be spontaneous. Or if you have a very short trip, I’d still do a day at MK and then finish it off with AH to repeat rides or hit what you couldn’t get to. It would also be good for groups where it’s harder to coordinate Genie+. If you have kids that want to ride the kid rides again and again, they would absolutely love this (as long as it’s not 7DMT).

I had no desire to eat more treats, so that wasn’t a huge value for me. This is definitely the type of event where it would be more fun with someone else as I was solo. The time absolutely flies and I probably spent more time walking through queues than on rides. I wish they’d shorten the queues up or let you shortcut to reride, perhaps if you asked they’d let you, I never saw anyone doing it on rides that were getting mostly filled.

An extra hour would help the value for this but it was already so late. Big thunder closing today for routine maintenance is a big bummer as it was definitely missed. I think deluxe evening hours are a much better option if you qualify, even though it’s shorter by an hour.

I walk at a decent speed and tried to do things in order based on location, to give a good idea of what you can get done. I didn’t really linger and still the time just flew by.

The park was quite empty even though this was sold out, the hub always had some people even when I left super late. You’d have to linger pretty long to be the last there, they don’t really push you out (before 1:30 at least) but they will stop you from backtracking.

Hope this is helpful! I hope this isn’t negative, I experienced no waits for most things, I just didn’t get through things as fast as I hoped and I don’t think the value is there for someone like me. But like I said above the value can definitely be there for certain people.

Last edited:
Awww, per Skyguy's photo above, only two restaurants are open during AH, and neither of them are Cosmic Ray's. I was hoping to dine with Sonny Eclipse...actually it may make sense to grab a bit to eat there around 9:30 and wait for the crowds to filter out.

How many times can one person ride the People Mover? Friends, we will find out.

I’m curious if anyone did this and EEH. Is this better than the EEH or does it just make sense to do the EEH if you’re staying at a Deluxe

I’m curious if anyone did this and EEH. Is this better than the EEH or does it just make sense to do the EEH if you’re staying at a Deluxe
Just depends if you want to shell out the extra for the AH tickets. The CMs were really on the ball ushering people out and not allowing people to jump in line at the last minute without a wristband. During EEH, rides like 7DMT and the mountains still have pretty decent lines for quite a while because guests are allowed to jump in line at one second to closing. I saw people turned away without the wristband a few minutes before 10:00 last night - a family trying to get on Magic Carpet with their two small children (and there were zero people in line, so would it have really been an issue?) around 9:55 were a little vocal. We did the tiki room first as we were cold and had been in the park for a few hours already. They turned away the group before us, and then we had to wait at a rope for 10:00 to hit. The only rides with any kind of wait were 7DMT and Peter Pan. We had ridden PP earlier, but the 30 minute line looked every bit of 30. We did ride 7DMT with a 25 minute wait, and it was 25 minutes almost exactly. You also get all the provided snacks and drinks you want if you can get value out of those. DS and I shared a Mickey Bar, Mickey ice cream sandwich, and a fruit bar. We had two waters and a Diet Coke, then we took a box of popcorn with us when we left for DH back at the room. Value is subjective. You will get more done at this with the three hours than you will at the EEH for sure - if you skip the shows and the only two (in our experience) longer wait lines, you can do almost everything else if you move with a purpose.

Thanks for the detailed reports/flyer pics!! We’re going Mon night - we did MK AH right before covid shut everything down, can’t wait to do this again. Sounds the same!

As with everything Disney, value is…yeah. It depends on your budget, your length of stay, how willing you are to spend time on your phone, and most of all, how valuable it is to spend time in an uncrowded park. I tend to stay Deluxe, and the first EEH I did, January 2022, were amazing. I did another one in mid Nov and was kind of annoyed at how long it took the lines/day guests to clear out, (even though it’s clearly a day guest prerogative to do this) compared with January. It felt like only about 45 min - an hour of empty park to me, which is why I jumped on AH tickets. I’ve honestly been waiting for them to add a few dates in April/May to justify a quick solo jaunt, as well!

We’re only there for a night, I’ll post more impressions afterwards, but lots of great info here and on various websites already:).

Thanks for the report @Disneyhanna
Sorry about BTMR. That would be a bummer for me too. I assume it it will be open for future AH nights and this was just a one off.

I saw people turned away without the wristband a few minutes before 10:00 last night - a family trying to get on Magic Carpet with their two small children (and there were zero people in line, so would it have really been an issue?) around 9:55 were a little vocal.
Did the park close at 10PM last night? If so, I'd be on the side of the family complaining.

Did the park close at 10PM last night? If so, I'd be on the side of the family complaining.
Yes. The ride was actually dark, like it was closed, but there were CMs standing at the entrance. The family approached;she asked for their wristband, and they showed their MBs. She said you need a wristband for the AH. They started to voice their opinions, but we were walking by to Tiki. I did notice them walking away after we walked through the turnstile to Tiki - which also was completely closed until 10pm. Roped off and all.

Thanks for the report @Disneyhanna
Sorry about BTMR. That would be a bummer for me too. I assume it it will be open for future AH nights and this was just a one off.
I believe it’s down for a little while for annual maintenance? I hadn’t traveled at this time so I didn’t realize this was the time it usually goes down, and I bought my ticket way before they gave the refurbishment dates. But should definitely be back open for later dates, I forget the exact timeframe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter