Air travel policy updates

How certain do people feel about the end of the hotel and 14 day quarantine some time in July? Should I feel confident enough to book for the week of August 15 for my wife and I (both fully vaccinated). We want to use airmiles for room and flight out of Toronto. The room would be nonrefundable, the flights may be too.

Making dining reservations starting tomorrow...
Well, I have had the 1st 2 weeks booked at wdw postponed from last Aug. I just booked air too. We are fully vaccinated. But everything I booked is refundable.
I would be very surprised if the quarantine isn’t dropped. But I would wait till official word in the upcoming days if what I was booking isn’t refundable.

Posted this in the Land Border thread as well:

Next steps on easing travel restrictions will be revealed by Monday: Minister LeBlanc

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/b...ions-will-be-revealed-monday-minister-leblanc
Pretty much what they’ve been saying about dropping quarantine for fully vaccinated travellers.
My opinion, they need to open both ways, for US travellers who are fully vaccinated too. If we loose another tourism summer season I think many businesses won’t survive. Speaking from BC where we rely heavily on tourism.

I wish they’d drop the 72 hr testing for returning home, and just do the airport or land border rapid test upon re-entering. For fully vaccinated.

I wish they’d drop the 72 hr testing for returning home, and just do the airport or land border rapid test upon re-entering. For fully vaccinated.

But they need to bring back direct flights too. Having a connecting flight doesn't help anyone as you would have to be tested at first point of entry into Canada. If tested positive, then you still need to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel at your own expense.

Edit to add: maybe it would be better to connect in the US somewhere (i.e., Boston) and then fly into Canada?

I am wondering if they will do the requirements when airports opened up again. I am also wondering if they will have two different sets of requirements for those who are fully vaccinated vs non vaccinated?

I am hopeful that they will do the testing and quarantine that happened when the airports were allowing travel again. There was testing initially at the airport, then you were to isolate at your home until you received the results from that test, daily self monitoring with another test required on day 6-7.

We are crossing our fingers that all this " talk " is a step in a more positive direction.

I am hopeful that they will do the testing and quarantine that happened when the airports were allowing travel again. There was testing initially at the airport, then you were to isolate at your home until you received the results from that test, daily self monitoring with another test required on day 6-7.

But this needs to be at your home airport, not the first airport you land at in Canada because that won't help anyone.

@ilovetotravel1977 I agree. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

It seems there is pressure everywhere they turn. There are so many changes daily, just in the different provinces alone. The pressure is mounting since we are hitting high targets of first vaccinations, and now our second shots are also on the rise.

I really hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to get really bright now.

Pretty much what they’ve been saying about dropping quarantine for fully vaccinated travellers.
My opinion, they need to open both ways, for US travellers who are fully vaccinated too. If we loose another tourism summer season I think many businesses won’t survive. Speaking from BC where we rely heavily on tourism.

Agreed. Get rid of the testing for vaccinated people! At some point we need to trust the vaccines.

I am wondering if they will do the requirements when airports opened up again. I am also wondering if they will have two different sets of requirements for those who are fully vaccinated vs non vaccinated?

We are crossing our fingers that all this " talk " is a step in a more positive direction.
I hope we don’t have to do another test 6-7 days after return. For fully vaccinated people. It’s a bit much having to do testing 72 hrs before travel, then again on arrival and again after 6-7 days! I hope we just have to do airport test!
I do think there will be separate requirements for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated. So far the talk is only about fully vaccinated.

But they need to bring back direct flights too. Having a connecting flight doesn't help anyone as you would have to be tested at first point of entry into Canada. If tested positive, then you still need to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel at your own expense.

Edit to add: maybe it would be better to connect in the US somewhere (i.e., Boston) and then fly into Canada?
I’m flying on Alaska, so direct MCO-Seattle, then YVR. So my home airport.

Technically, Canada accepts more than just PCR tests for entry…there’s a whole list. For example, the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test is an NAAT test that’s acceptable.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
I just phoned Walgreens on Vineland & Appoluka and they said people are using Uber for drive thru testing. Since many of us don’t have cars at wdw.
But what was worrisome is they guarantee results 3-4 days after testing. 4 days will be too late. How long did it take you for results? I don’t like that they don’t guarantee results in 3 days. So if we get tested Wednesday I would need results Friday for travel Saturday. A little nerve wracking. And August will be busy travel season.

We have a trip planned for October to Disneyland but we've decided that unless they either drop the testing requirement or make it easily available at the airport we're not going. It's not worth the stress, it's supposed to be a vacation! My son is only 9 so he won't be vaccinated by then.

Perhaps if we were going for 2 full weeks or something it might be different but for a 5 day trip, nope.

I just phoned Walgreens on Vineland & Appoluka and they said people are using Uber for drive thru testing. Since many of us don’t have cars at wdw.
But what was worrisome is they guarantee results 3-4 days after testing. 4 days will be too late. How long did it take you for results? I don’t like that they don’t guarantee results in 3 days. So if we get tested Wednesday I would need results Friday for travel Saturday. A little nerve wracking. And August will be busy travel season.

We got tested around 10am on Friday, got results back around 12:30pm, so less than three hours later. The trick is to not ask. If you ask, they will give you the worst case scenario party line. And if you ask, they will tell you the tests cost money too, and that you have to have state ID. However, none of that is the case in reality.

We booked the pricey rapid PCR tests at MCO as a backup in case we didn’t get results back in time, then cancelled the appts once we had our Walgreens results.

We got tested around 10am on Friday, got results back around 12:30pm, so less than three hours later. The trick is to not ask. If you ask, they will give you the worst case scenario party line. And if you ask, they will tell you the tests cost money too, and that you have to have state ID. However, none of that is the case in reality.

We booked the pricey rapid PCR tests at MCO as a backup in case we didn’t get results back in time, then cancelled the appts once we had our Walgreens results.
That’s reassuring. I didn’t know MCO had testing! The things I’m learning! How much is MCO test? Do you have to pay in advance? That’s a great idea to have a back up.
This testing 72 hrs ahead then again when you land is totally pointless. Hope it changes! So it’s ok to test day of travel? Doesn’t have to be 72 hrs before?
thanks!

Speaking from experience, I would never EVER recommend the MCO testing. It is run by AdventHealth and it is quite frankly unreliable. I had an appointment 2 weeks ago -- booked my PCR test online well in advance (you do not pay in advance). Showed up 3+ hours before my flight to give plenty of time and was asked at check-in 'can you do an antigen test?'. Uhm NO that's why I booked a PCR test...ya we don't have any kits, the manufacturer didn't send any this morning. How do you NOT have a reserve of tests esp since you require appointments for PCR testing? I wont continue with the words that came screaming out of my mouth. Needless to say I was then scrambling to change my flight, find a 24hr testing facility and book yet another night at Disney. Learnt the hard way to not take what is the most easy direct route when it comes to things like testing for travelling, esp within the US (I think the Cdn facilities that are setup at airports do a fine job).

I've done the pretravel test a few times; the timing is exactly 72hrs or less and it's based on your Cdn flight. So if you are flying home on a Thursday you have to test no earlier than Monday. If you flight out of MCO leaves at 1pm but your Cdn connector doesnt leave till 6pm....it's the 6pm time that you have to figure your test out for. So 6pm Monday evening or later... And they do the math; I've personally witnessed people being denied boarding because they were outside the time frame (ie the passenger had their test at 10.30am on the Monday yet we didnt depart till 6.15pm on Thursday -- she was not allowed to board). I've spoken with other passengers and someone saw a person get denied being only 14min off her testing time!

Speaking from experience, I would never EVER recommend the MCO testing. It is run by AdventHealth and it is quite frankly unreliable. I had an appointment 2 weeks ago -- booked my PCR test online well in advance (you do not pay in advance). Showed up 3+ hours before my flight to give plenty of time and was asked at check-in 'can you do an antigen test?'. Uhm NO that's why I booked a PCR test...ya we don't have any kits, the manufacturer didn't send any this morning. How do you NOT have a reserve of tests esp since you require appointments for PCR testing? I wont continue with the words that came screaming out of my mouth. Needless to say I was then scrambling to change my flight, find a 24hr testing facility and book yet another night at Disney. Learnt the hard way to not take what is the most easy direct route when it comes to things like testing for travelling, esp within the US (I think the Cdn facilities that are setup at airports do a fine job).

I've done the pretravel test a few times; the timing is exactly 72hrs or less and it's based on your Cdn flight. So if you are flying home on a Thursday you have to test no earlier than Monday. If you flight out of MCO leaves at 1pm but your Cdn connector doesnt leave till 6pm....it's the 6pm time that you have to figure your test out for. So 6pm Monday evening or later... And they do the math; I've personally witnessed people being denied boarding because they were outside the time frame (ie the passenger had their test at 10.30am on the Monday yet we didnt depart till 6.15pm on Thursday -- she was not allowed to board). I've spoken with other passengers and someone saw a person get denied being only 14min off her testing time!
:scared1: OMG that’s awful. And the 72 hours is ridiculous! What if your flight is delayed? Good to know about MCO testing. Can’t wait for this testing to be over. If fully vaccinated it’s really pointless. Especially having to do it twice coming home. Ugh

I really feel like they will have to reduce or eliminate at least some of the tests once the border opens. At least for fully vaccinated people.

They're obviously having issues at the current travel volume. I can't imagine what it would be like with a normal or increased volume of international travelers!

This is great information - thank you! A couple of questions - this is the Rapid ID Now test at Walgreens? And - did you have a rental car, and if not, how did you "drive through"?

I want to make sure I have the proper plan in place. Thanks!

This is great information - thank you! A couple of questions - this is the Rapid ID Now test at Walgreens? And - did you have a rental car, and if not, how did you "drive through"?

I want to make sure I have the proper plan in place. Thanks!
I phoned the closest one to WDW and pharmacy said a lot of people were using Uber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter