Airline prices are too tempting....Should I take a chance and book for August?

Aysel

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I was already planning a trip in August before all of this happened. I was on the lookout for a good deal on flights then everything hit and the prices went way down. Is August far enough away that I can take this chance?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I was already planning a trip in August before all of this happened. I was on the lookout for a good deal on flights then everything hit and the prices went way down. Is August far enough away that I can take this chance?

Thanks in advance!
We already had a trip booked for August when we canceled our trip this week. I used the voucher to book Aug flights for our trip 15-22 when the price dropped by 50%. If we aren’t able to go, we aren’t. I don’t know that I’d be booking *new* flights though...

I would book and buy "any reason" insurance for cancellation. Disney still offering 30 day cancellation should be fine to make a call in July if you are going then based on the situation at that time.

I don't think anybody can say what's gonna happen by Aug. I hope they're open, as we have a trip booked at the end of Aug, but we booked ours back in Jan, before there was even any hint that there might be cancelations. I've been holding off on changing any of our plans, but I also know that as the clock ticks down, it's going to be less and less likely I can recoup what's already been paid out if they're not back to standard operations by then. At this point, it's all a gamble. We've already got money in, so I'm leaving it as is, but if you haven't booked anything, it might be better to just hold off.

Hard to say - Disneyland Shanghai is STILL not fully open yet and China says they've had their outbreak under control for almost a month now and that's 3 months after the shutdown.
Extrapolating to our Disney - that would put a partial open around June/July.
CDC's current guidelines are to restrict groups to no more than 50 through MAY.
We'll know more in about 2 weeks which is when we're supposed to "catch up" with the infection rates in Iran and Italy. If we don't then the restrictions are working - if not...

We booked our August trip back in Nov 2019. We rented points and payed the cancel for any reason policy for $190 when we rented the points. Just in case something came up. We are not canceling yet. Just booked airfare last week through Southwest. I wasn't going to to go through any other airlines because I know with Southwest you can change dates with no change fee or cancel pretty easily.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
I love me a good bargain.

Those prices are crazy low. I can fly out there with the same flights and people for $200 less - FOR FIRST CLASS (flew Economy last time).

What I would do is book the flights and get the insurance on the flights only.

Disney will refund you in full if you cancel up to 30 days in advance. I would imagine by late June or early July you'd know if you need to cancel.

Now, that said, keep in mind that clinical trials on animals for COVID-19 is only just now happening, and we are at least still between 8-14 months (or longer) away from a vaccine for humans. Something to keep in mind.

I don't think I'd book anything outside of maybe Southwest right now, because their cancellation/refund policies are so generous. They just give dollar credit toward other flights, but I could find a way to use it within 12 months, so that's not so bad. I know most other airlines are not so easy to cancel without penalty.

They are already testing the first vaccines, so it is possible that we will have something by year's end but very unlikely that we will have something by August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter