Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I get what you are saying about inconvenience. I can give you one that might be a tad worse. I had a new fridge being delivered by Home Depot and they had just called to say that they would be arriving within the hour. That hour comes and goes, then a little while later I get another call saying that the truck had been in an accident and was laying on it's side in the ditch beside the highway off ramp. I was to be it's next delivery. So now I have no fridge at home because my old one (that was still working) had been picked up earlier that morning. My food was packed in a couple of coolers. Home Depot decided that they couldn't guarantee that the fridge was not damaged so they had to get me another one which took 6 days.

All companies contract out delivery now. My feeling is that what has happened with you is a one off. I would call back and speak to someone else....a manager perhaps. I have had 2 issues with my past deliveries from Lowes (not exactly related to the actual delivery) and speaking with a manager the issues were dealt with easily. One situation was a damaged appliance and the manager knew right away what most likely had occurred. She told me right up front that it may take a while to fix. It took 6-7 weeks but she kept calling me along the way to let me know that she had not forgotten about it.

brutal! i hope things can be solved soon, and that not all your food spoils. is it cold enough outside that you could keep stuff out there?

earlier this year we had a new bathtub delivered. we bought it at Rona. we hired a contractor to replace our current tub, which was hardly deep enough to soak your feet. hah. we scheduled delivery for a couple days before the work was supposed to start, just to make sure everything could go smoothly for the actual install.

the delivery happened exactly as scheduled, and everything seemed fine. that is, until our contractor arrived and found a huge crack through the tub. who knows if it was already damaged or somehow damaged during transit. it took us almost a whole day to resolve the problem, because the location we bought the tub from was out of stock and other locations were not being helpful. It ended up getting resolved (not by rona, but by home depot), but we paid a contractor for a whole day of basically standing around.

so frustrating, but i don’t have the skills or tools to pick up major appliances or furniture myself.
[/QUOTE]
LOL...the fridge thing was many years back.

brutal! i hope things can be solved soon, and that not all your food spoils. is it cold enough outside that you could keep stuff out there?

earlier this year we had a new bathtub delivered. we bought it at Rona. we hired a contractor to replace our current tub, which was hardly deep enough to soak your feet. hah. we scheduled delivery for a couple days before the work was supposed to start, just to make sure everything could go smoothly for the actual install.

the delivery happened exactly as scheduled, and everything seemed fine. that is, until our contractor arrived and found a huge crack through the tub. who knows if it was already damaged or somehow damaged during transit. it took us almost a whole day to resolve the problem, because the location we bought the tub from was out of stock and other locations were not being helpful. It ended up getting resolved (not by rona, but by home depot), but we paid a contractor for a whole day of basically standing around.

so frustrating, but i don’t have the skills or tools to pick up major appliances or furniture myself.
LOL...the fridge thing was many years back.
[/QUOTE]

hahahaha that’s what i get for trying to participate in a conversation and entertain a toddler at the same time!!

So I don't think we'll be able to afford a southern vacation over March break this year but we still have the week off and I'd like to look at doing something a little closer to home. I see that I can use airmiles for a few things in Toronto, we could take the train (no flying! kiddo would be happy) and as long as we have a hotel with an indoor pool we could swim and enjoy the time. I could get tickets to the aquarium, maybe we could check out the ROM (kiddo was super into dinosaurs at one point), see the CN tower and he says he wants some Toronto "merch". I'm just not sure. Other option is to drive to Niagara Falls and stay at one of those places with an indoor water park. But then I have to drive.

So for those TO peeps, do you think we could fill a few days? I don't think it will be much warmer than Ottawa in March, but hopefully it will be nicer, and we'll get to take the subway and stuff :) My kid likes to be busy, I like to not have to cook :)

Great suggestions from Mel. Also check out Toronto CityPass. It get you the tower. Aquirium. ROM Science center and some others to goto over 7 days. All for half price. Great value for checking out the city

So I don't think we'll be able to afford a southern vacation over March break this year but we still have the week off and I'd like to look at doing something a little closer to home. I see that I can use airmiles for a few things in Toronto, we could take the train (no flying! kiddo would be happy) and as long as we have a hotel with an indoor pool we could swim and enjoy the time. I could get tickets to the aquarium, maybe we could check out the ROM (kiddo was super into dinosaurs at one point), see the CN tower and he says he wants some Toronto "merch". I'm just not sure. Other option is to drive to Niagara Falls and stay at one of those places with an indoor water park. But then I have to drive.

So for those TO peeps, do you think we could fill a few days? I don't think it will be much warmer than Ottawa in March, but hopefully it will be nicer, and we'll get to take the subway and stuff :) My kid likes to be busy, I like to not have to cook :)
Stay at the Sheraton (across from city hall) they have an indoor/outdoor pool. It's fun to swim outside in the winter. Not sure if the Toronto City Pass is on AM but it covers a lot of really fun things to do and it's a total bargain even if you have to purchase it.

Just my opinion but Niagara Falls is not that fun. The indoor waterparks are VERY high priced and packed to the rafters on MB.

Thanks for all the tips! I think I have some ideas now :) and can use Airmiles for a few things to make it cheaper. I will probably end up paying for the hotel, but should earn some airmiles on that ;) The City Pass looks interesting, just not sure how to get to a few of the places on transit so I'll have to see if it is worth it. And trying to figure out a food budget. I think he might enjoy the Medieval Times dinner as well, and it's on airmiles. Train is only $152 including tax! I suspect I can do the whole trip for less than airfare to Florida :)

@ElCray , what I find unusual about the flyer is that offer Flamingo chicken 600-800g 3/$20 (buy 3 get 100AM) is on page 3 and at the bottom of page 10 they have another offer for the same chicken 550g-1.2kg for $11.79. I will need to be very careful to make sure I pick up the correct boxes.

I enlarged and read the fine print on the $11.79 offer. It is for different types of chicken than the burgers/strips/nuggets in the AM offer.

A Staycation!!!!!! How fun. We used to do those with the boys when they were younger before their big sister moved to the big city. We would head to Edmonton, stay at a hotel with a great pool and water slides and just do things that we can't do in our little city. I would plan it to go see the Monster trucks or one time we went to see the Oiler's play ( which is just as expensive or more then going to disney :crazy2: :scared1: it was a one time thing and I won't do that again ) go to the West Ed mall and the Telus Center. It was such a needed break from the monotony of winter. Have fun planning!

I would say Toronto zoo is a must see and you can get tix on airmiles. We are 2.5 hours away and squeeze in 4-6 trips a year . They may have educational programs running that week as well to look into .
Science Center?

[/QUOTE]

Wonderful advice. Love the Sheraton and my kids call Nfalls Vegas north so tacky and expensive lol

Stay at the Sheraton (across from city hall) they have an indoor/outdoor pool. It's fun to swim outside in the winter. Not sure if the Toronto City Pass is on AM but it covers a lot of really fun things to do and it's a total bargain even if you have to purchase it.

Just my opinion but Niagara Falls is not that fun. The indoor waterparks are VERY high priced and packed to the rafters on MB.

I would say Toronto zoo is a must see and you can get tix on airmiles. We are 2.5 hours away and squeeze in 4-6 trips a year . They may have educational programs running that week as well to look into .
Science Center?

I think we may go to the zoo this summer, I'd probably drive and stay one night at a hotel nearby. We'll see I guess. But good to know they have tickets on airmiles!

Thanks for all the tips! I think I have some ideas now :) and can use Airmiles for a few things to make it cheaper. I will probably end up paying for the hotel, but should earn some airmiles on that ;) The City Pass looks interesting, just not sure how to get to a few of the places on transit so I'll have to see if it is worth it. And trying to figure out a food budget. I think he might enjoy the Medieval Times dinner as well, and it's on airmiles. Train is only $152 including tax! I suspect I can do the whole trip for less than airfare to Florida :)
So as bad as everyone talks about transit its not bad in TO. Now I wouldnt donthe zoo on it. But all the others yes including science center. Plus there is uber. Also ìf child is underb12 transit is free.

So as bad as everyone talks about transit its not bad in TO. Now I wouldnt donthe zoo on it. But all the others yes including science center. Plus there is uber. Also ìf child is underb12 transit is free.
YES! I agree on TTC being a great way to get around the city ! They have a great little feature on their website that lets you plan out a trip and it spits out several options of how to get where ever you'd like to go! You son might enjoy just hopping around the city for a bit. Fun fact-- you can stick your coat in your suitcase when you get to Union and not even need to go outside to get to a LOT VIA the PATH (that can be a bit of a challenge though since it's underground and signage is abysmal! You will need to get a PRESTO card for both of you but as mort mentioned your son's will be free. I stick mine in a Donald Duck luggage tag, clip it on my purse and pretend I'm using a Magic Band :rotfl2:

TTC TRIP PLANNER

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter