• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

@hdrolfe OMG seriously?!!? I just need that 1 air mile to post! This actually kinda humorous in a very annoying kind of way.
You could do a "Rewarding your Opinions" survey. They post pretty quickly and you get one mile even if you are disqualified from the survey. I haven't done one in awhile but I do remember they used to post very quickly.

I am actually hoping for cheerios again - both kids are eating them for breakfast now, and we are going through a ton!

me too!

mine gets a cereal mix as an afternoon snack at daycare. they call it grumpy snack, which i think is the cutest! anyways, now at home if he needs a little something i make him his own grumpy snack (mostly cheerios in a cup...) and he’s thrilled. i could use another 5 boxes.

Sobeys accumulates AM for the week. Shop Sunday to Saturday, these will post with Saturdays date the following Wednesday/Thursday.

Air Miles travel insurance question.

The only way I would get my miles back if I had to cancel would be if I had purchase their insurance at the time of booking, correct?

I REALLY hate buying TONS of travel insurance when I have a good plan with my MC and my work plan. BUT, I'll be forking out 5000 miles for our return flights this week for our December trip. Would you spend the extra couple hundred bucks to insure the miles?

Think about it this way. 5000AM is around $500. If you have to spend $250 to insure against that loss is it worth it? Depends on your risk level. I haven't ever had insurance on my flights and haven't ever had to cancel. If I were to take all the money I would have put into AM insurance over the years and never used it would more than pay for the AM lost. In other words I self finance my own loss.

Not everyone will look at it that way so you will need to make up your own mind.

@ottawamom, so you're saying you wouldn't bother on 5000 miles?

Now, next spring I will be forking out around 12,000 miles on three flights. Would you take out the insurance on that amount?

Edit to add: Just got off the phone with the insurance peeps. Said I don't need to take the full plan, can just do the non-medical plan. I guess I will have to see what they quote me. I mean, my passes are only good until Dec 31,2020 and we are going the first week of December. If I lose my miles on flights, I will lose them on the passes as well, which is even a bigger amount.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is it depends on how much the insurance is going to cost you? 12000 AM is worth $1263. I have no idea what the insurance cost would be on that. Lets say it's $300-400. Your insurance offsets risk of $800.

If you are in the habit of never getting insurance and mentally you put those savings aside, when you eventually have to cancel your risk is paid for with all the savings (not purchasing insurance) you have done over the years. Yes it's going to bite but I'm assuming if you have to cancel then something serious is going on and the $800 worth of AM lost is the least of your concerns.

Also if 12000AM is for 3 people, would the other 2 people still go if 1 couldn't or would all three stay home because 1 person couldn't go?

Bottom line no I wouldn't take out insurance on the flights that cost 12000AM because I know I'm going to use them. The insurance industry preys on your fears.

A lot to consider and everyone have differing levels of risk aversion. (I also don't get cancellation insurance when traveling during hurricane season).

@ottawamom, thanks for breaking it all down for me like that! So much easier to process when someone else explains their point of view.

On our first cruise I had a really bad sinus cold / ear pain and we still got on that plane. I was in agony for three days and couldn't hear at all out of one ear, but dang it the drinks still went down just the same LOL

And you're right about canceling. If it was for something drastic, air miles wouldn't even enter my mind.

That's just the way I rationalize my not purchasing AM cancellation insurance. Others will likely have a different opinion.

me too!

mine gets a cereal mix as an afternoon snack at daycare. they call it grumpy snack, which i think is the cutest! anyways, now at home if he needs a little something i make him his own grumpy snack (mostly cheerios in a cup...) and he’s thrilled. i could use another 5 boxes.
I’d be willing to bet the grumpy snack happens during the arsenic hours?

Hopes and wishes for this Blue Friday? Mine is things that don't have to go into the freezer and quantities of 4 not 5.

Hopes and wishes for this Blue Friday? Mine is things that don't have to go into the freezer and quantities of 4 not 5.
Same re freezer! We're going to town on freezer food this week to try and make room!!

I'd be up for unscented laundry detergent, toilet paper, and paper towels at a good price. It seems like they mark these items up with the bonus pretty often, and buying only for the bonus goes against my Air Miles shopping principles. ;)

I didn't see this posted. Rexall has the 100 am for the rexall, be better, etc promo this weekend. Pretty much the same as the others have been 17-19

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter