Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Also I immediately used 4 of today's Sobey's gift cards to purchase Shell gas gift cards and had no issue whatsoever

!

I like the idea of using the gift card to buy shell gift cards. I am commuting into Toronto the next couple of months so they would be used quickly.

I bought 5 GC at Sobeys today and then went in to buy some raisin bread and saw they were handing out the Marvel thingies. So I ask the teller if we could get them for buying gift cards and he said yes, so I left the store with 22 of those thingies. Awesome! They immediately went into loot bags for my son's birthday party in the afternoon! Oh and the giftcards were the loadable ones. Also used my Amex to buy the cards, so today I just got 178$ off my cruise woohoo!

Lucky! Sobey's in Whitby refused to give the Marvel things with my gift card purchases. I have to admit it does say in Air Miles' T&C that one of the exclusions is the purchase of gift cards.

However, Foodland in Newcastle gave me 31 without my asking.

The Marvel things are very disappointing IMHO as a promo. I wouldn't ask for them. They didn't give me any. :)

At my Sobeys store (Barrhaven) they had to manually put $150 on a gift card but the 150AM did show on the receipt. Hope it works for everyone else :)

Just got home from Metro .. decided to buy the turkey for Christmas, a bunch of extra stuff we'll need because it was on sale, some of the Quaker Granola Bars (pretty decent deal 2 for $5.00, buy 4 get 20 AM PLUS there was a coupon for buy 4 get 1 free hanging on the shelf). Was all excited because we met the threshold spend just like we planned, $114.12 pre-tax .... got back out to the car and found the flyer that i had dropped. That was when i noticed it was spend $120 to get 100 AM NOT spend $100.00 get 100 AM. So we were $6.00 shy and that cost us 60 AM (did get a handful of those piddly Marvel things though from our fav cashier)

21698057_10211721441766434_2072066934_n.png

I feel your pain. So very frustrating. It's very rare that I get up to $100 in a grocery shop. I spread my shopping around so I never spend much at any one store.

I finally gave up waiting for airmiles to put my preferred flights on their site. I went ahead and booked 3 of the 5 needed through Aeroplan. DH has points he needs to use anyway. I will see if I can get my MIL to spring for the other two flights with her Aeroplan points (as a Christmas present). She won't use her points before Air Canada cuts their ties with Aeroplan in a few years.

Now I know I should have booked all the flights on the same day they were released. They will most likely show up later in the fall, I'm just too impatient to wait.

I went to Sobeys to get a gift card and then use it for some groceries. Girl at the cash had no idea how to sell me a $150 gift card and told me to go to guest services... so I had to do that first. A little annoying but the 150 AM showed on my receipt so phew! I got two more of the marvel things, and bought the case for them as one I got Thursday had already disappeared. Kiddo is enjoying them, I think they are silly, but hey, free stuff!

Hey @ottawamom did you guys have a good time at MNSSHP?

We had a blast. It poured rain from 3:00 till about 8:00 but we didn't let that hold us back. Did the rides I had booked FP for, ate dinner in the rain under an umbrella at Casey's corner (love their corn dog nuggets). By the time we did two more rides the rain had stopped, a little spitting every now and then. The stage show at the castle was postponed (I think they did it at midnight) but both parades and the fireworks went off without a hitch. Can't get the song from the parade out of my head. The line-ups for the rides were crazy until after 11:00 so we waited till then to ride BTM. Never did get on SDMT (but that's ok as we've done it many times)

We came home with 16lbs of candy in our backpacks. I hadn't been trick or treating in many, many decades so it was fun to do again.

I just got back yesterday from WDW with a good news story for you all. Like many of you here on this thread, I got a 7-day Canadian Resident pass from Air Miles, and had planned to use it to upgrade to an AP for this trip. Knowing I would be credited with $295.54 (thanks to the information from this thread :worship:) instead of $436.65 which is the value of a full priced 7-day pass, I was prepared to pay $534.10 US to upgrade to an AP. Considering I would have paid $548.10 for a 10-day park hopper anyway, and the Air Miles pass was "free" I thought this was a good use of my Air Miles and I could benefit from the AP discounts on food and merchandise (currently 20%) and the included Memory Maker, and I could talk myself into another trip or two within the year to really get my money's worth out of the pass. In short, I was really working the Disney math :D

When I got to Guest Services at MK with my Air Miles pass and my passport, the nice fellow at the window did some Disney math of his own and told me the balance would be $371 to upgrade that pass to an AP. I quickly gave him my VISA and signed it before he could change his mind, lol. I checked the VISA statement and that is really what I was charged, and I checked MyDisneyExperience account and I do indeed have a Platinum AP valid until Sept 2018. I don't know where he got the value that he credited me for that pass, I can't find anything worth $458 anywhere in the current price list :magnify:

I realize that this was an anomaly and no one should take what happened to me as routine but I just had to share my good fortune with you all. Thanks for the help with my Air Miles collecting :love1:

We had a blast. It poured rain from 3:00 till about 8:00 but we didn't let that hold us back. Did the rides I had booked FP for, ate dinner in the rain under an umbrella at Casey's corner (love their corn dog nuggets). By the time we did two more rides the rain had stopped, a little spitting every now and then. The stage show at the castle was postponed (I think they did it at midnight) but both parades and the fireworks went off without a hitch. Can't get the song from the parade out of my head. The line-ups for the rides were crazy until after 11:00 so we waited till then to ride BTM. Never did get on SDMT (but that's ok as we've done it many times)

We came home with 16lbs of candy in our backpacks. I hadn't been trick or treating in many, many decades so it was fun to do again.

awww glad you guys had a good time!

Any pointers? We're going on Nov. 1. I've never been.

Get there right at 4. Make fastpasses now for your time before 7:00pm. Line ups for candy will be longest when they first start. Some give out lots of candy, do those twice. No one will say anything when they see you going around a second or third time. The line ups for the rides definitely were shorter after the start of the parade at 11:15.

We had a backpack with us and would empty our trick or treat bag into it when it was getting full. When the backpack was full we were done with trick or treating. We watched the early parade in Frontierland although I imagine there was great viewing everywhere along the parade route. We watched the fireworks from just in front of the fenced off garden in front of Crystal Palace. Walked up to this spot with just a few moments to spare.

We stayed in the park right until the very end. I was hoping to see the Kiss Goodnight on the Castle but I think they were showing the show that was cancelled earlier in the evening.

We didn't do any character meet and greets those line ups looked long (and it wasn't a priority for us). You'll have a blast, I did. It was a lot of fun.

Get there right at 4. Make fastpasses now for your time before 7:00pm. Line ups for candy will be longest when they first start. Some give out lots of candy, do those twice. No one will say anything when they see you going around a second or third time. The line ups for the rides definitely were shorter after the start of the parade at 11:15.

We had a backpack with us and would empty our trick or treat bag into it when it was getting full. When the backpack was full we were done with trick or treating. We watched the early parade in Frontierland although I imagine there was great viewing everywhere along the parade route. We watched the fireworks from just in front of the fenced off garden in front of Crystal Palace. Walked up to this spot with just a few moments to spare.

We stayed in the park right until the very end. I was hoping to see the Kiss Goodnight on the Castle but I think they were showing the show that was cancelled earlier in the evening.

We didn't do any character meet and greets those line ups looked long (and it wasn't a priority for us). You'll have a blast, I did. It was a lot of fun.

We're not going to be using a normal day ticket, so I don't believe we can make fastpasses?

We're not going to be using a normal day ticket, so I don't believe we can make fastpasses?
Yes you can. However, you can only book FP+ from 4-7 so unless you actually get 4-5, 5-6 and 6-7 you will only be able to book 2.

Just make sure to link your party tickets in your MDE. I booked two starting at 3:15. We got in right at 4:00 and raced to our first FP before the time ran out. Second one was for 4:30 and then we picked up one more in the park once I'd done those two. I wasn't sure what direction we would want to go after our first two so I didn't prebook. After that one all FP were distributed for the day or I would have kept on going.

Just make sure to link your party tickets in your MDE. I booked two starting at 3:15. We got in right at 4:00 and raced to our first FP before the time ran out. Second one was for 4:30 and then we picked up one more in the park once I'd done those two. I wasn't sure what direction we would want to go after our first two so I didn't prebook. After that one all FP were distributed for the day or I would have kept on going.
Interesting how different people have different experiences. The system wouldn't allow us to book anything before 4pm. Perhaps it was just a glitch that day.

I just got back yesterday from WDW with a good news story for you all. Like many of you here on this thread, I got a 7-day Canadian Resident pass from Air Miles, and had planned to use it to upgrade to an AP for this trip. Knowing I would be credited with $295.54 (thanks to the information from this thread :worship:) instead of $436.65 which is the value of a full priced 7-day pass, I was prepared to pay $534.10 US to upgrade to an AP. Considering I would have paid $548.10 for a 10-day park hopper anyway, and the Air Miles pass was "free" I thought this was a good use of my Air Miles and I could benefit from the AP discounts on food and merchandise (currently 20%) and the included Memory Maker, and I could talk myself into another trip or two within the year to really get my money's worth out of the pass. In short, I was really working the Disney math :D

When I got to Guest Services at MK with my Air Miles pass and my passport, the nice fellow at the window did some Disney math of his own and told me the balance would be $371 to upgrade that pass to an AP. I quickly gave him my VISA and signed it before he could change his mind, lol. I checked the VISA statement and that is really what I was charged, and I checked MyDisneyExperience account and I do indeed have a Platinum AP valid until Sept 2018. I don't know where he got the value that he credited me for that pass, I can't find anything worth $458 anywhere in the current price list :magnify:

I realize that this was an anomaly and no one should take what happened to me as routine but I just had to share my good fortune with you all. Thanks for the help with my Air Miles collecting :love1:

Lucky you! I'm there in a couple of weeks, I may try to price out a couple upgrades and see what happens, maybe Disney has changed their mind on how to price our tickets, we can always hope.

The math: it looks like he credited you full gate price for your 7 Day ticket (current price $436.65 after tax + gate fee $21.30 after tax = $457.95). Platinum ap $829.64 - $457.95 = $371.69 owing.

It was worth it in the end, but oof it was painful getting those Sobeys gift cards. I went straight to cash register when I first got in the store to buy my first one. The first card didn't work, took just a minute for the guy to find another, ring me up, done. Not too bad. Did my shopping and then went to pay and buy another GC (had originally planned to just buy one, but changed my mind). So asked the guy for GC first, then will use it to pay for groceries. He started ringing in my groceries. "Wait, no, stop, GC first please." totally confused look on his face. Rings up GC, then immediately starts ringing in groceries. "Wait, no, stop, I need to pay for GC first.". Again he looks confused, then he cancels the whole order. Then he rings up GC (2nd time). I go to pay and it's for $1.50. Cancels that one. Rings it up again (3rd time), looks right, I pay. But there's another problem. AM didn't post, and the GC had no funds on it (didn't register properly). Manager comes. Voids initial transaction, re-rings up GC (4th time), finally gets its right. AM posted. But then I got home and realized that the AM from my first GC that I bought posted twice on my receipt, for 2 GC I have receipts totally 450 AM. Not sure if they'll actually post to my account, or if they'll realize the mistake.

I missed out on Blue Friday :sad: as we were doing a follow up appointment for the son and then travelling even farther to see the Daughter and her BF for the thanksgiving weekend. I don't think hubby would have been happy with me buying things to have tote back home. I seen there were a few things I could have taken advantage of. I did stop at a Safeway late Friday and picked up some body washx3 and shampoo X3 for the boys to use while we were down there and just leave at the daughters house for next time we visit. I scoop up 60 AM that way for around 45.00 with a few other things I needed to pick up. But there were a few things I maybe could have taken advantage of if we were at home. Oh well. I'll just keep hunting those AM!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter