Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I am going to get some LCBO gift cards at Sobeys. 2018 has been slow for me in AM Hunting. I am starting to worry about not being able to keep my Onyx status.

I am going to get some LCBO gift cards at Sobeys. 2018 has been slow for me in AM Hunting. I am starting to worry about not being able to keep my Onyx status.
Other than last years STB, which posted Feb 3rd, things didn't get into high gear until April. The month of March I only earn 156 miles but by the end of Dec I had earned over 18,000.

I agree with the others that this first quarter is always slow for airmiles . I look at it a little differently as well... if they want my buisiness then they can offer some worthwhile incentives. I’m happy to shop at less expensive stores until they do .

I was hoping to get the 1100 miles in JanuaryFebruary on my daughter's account so we would have enough for a discounted Disneyland ticket before they go back up, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.:(

But switching gears. PC has come out strong with some good deals. Today, Friday, if you buy their bacon for about 4.50 they give you 3000 points, so bacon for 1.50 good deal. Friday only

Two week in a row they've sent me a targeted spend offer, plus all my usual staples. I can earn the same amount of miles to pc plus this week. And I need to cash out about $70 worth of points anyways. Air Miles collecting might have to wait a few more weeks.

I was hoping to get the 1100 miles in JanuaryFebruary on my daughter's account so we would have enough for a discounted Disneyland ticket before they go back up, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.:(
The absolute last day the StB miles can post to your account is confusing since the BIG wording says (the FAQs are still up & you can read them StB FAQs )

Q: So, how does this all work?

A: In a nutshell, here’s how AIR MILES® Shop the Block™ works:

1. Use offers at participating Partners from November 14 to December 14, 2017.
  2. We’ll add up the number of offers you used and award your Bonus Miles in February 2018.
  • Use 3 different offers, get 300 Bonus Miles
  • Use 5 different offers, get 1,000 Bonus Miles
  • Use 7 different offers, get 2,000 Bonus Miles
BUT it also says:
Allow up to 90 days after the Event Period for Bonus Miles to be posted to your Account.

And that date is March 14th. SO it's a real toss up as to when they will post (and how accurate they will be this year!) HOWEVER in your case, wanting to redeem for DL tickets, during the last promo the discount tickets were available for a very long time after they could be bought directly from Disney so i wouldn't panic yet. They probably be available for a bit. Fingers crossed for you!!

Good Morning
I am going to try and visit Sobeys or Foodland and see if I can discover some of their in store specials.
So far I have the Dempsters bread (buy 2 at 2.99 each and get 25 airmiles) special and that's it.
Happy weekend shopping everyone.
Hugs Mel

Thanks for doing that! I am still on the fence about driving 50min to Foodland vs doing my grocery at IGA or Walmart this week. I do need bagels but driving to ON just for that that is not enough to justify gas extra cost.

OK, in an interesting twist to the what have now become useless targeted offers from Rexall , I only have 5 for both cards and they are exactly the same, oh and i have never bought ANY of those products! But my PC offers are ALL things i have bought (which isn't hard since i don't actually buy much there :P )

Thanks for doing that! I am still on the fence about driving 50min to Foodland vs doing my grocery at IGA or Walmart this week. I do need bagels but driving to ON just for that that is not enough to justify gas extra cost.
I was just at Foodland and they had all their brands of Special K on for 3.99 with 50 AM when you buy 3. All told, I spent $23 and got 101 AM's. Better than I would have got at Rexall.........are you listening Rexall???? ;)

The absolute last day the StB miles can post to your account is confusing since the BIG wording says (the FAQs are still up & you can read them StB FAQs )

Q: So, how does this all work?

A: In a nutshell, here’s how AIR MILES® Shop the Block™ works:

1. Use offers at participating Partners from November 14 to December 14, 2017.
  2. We’ll add up the number of offers you used and award your Bonus Miles in February 2018.
  • Use 3 different offers, get 300 Bonus Miles
  • Use 5 different offers, get 1,000 Bonus Miles
  • Use 7 different offers, get 2,000 Bonus Miles
BUT it also says:
Allow up to 90 days after the Event Period for Bonus Miles to be posted to your Account.

And that date is March 14th. SO it's a real toss up as to when they will post (and how accurate they will be this year!) HOWEVER in your case, wanting to redeem for DL tickets, during the last promo the discount tickets were available for a very long time after they could be bought directly from Disney so i wouldn't panic yet. They probably be available for a bit. Fingers crossed for you!!
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping (that they will have the tickets longer). Wish they would have the Sobeys or Foodland gift cards so I could stock up. I'm a single mom that went back to school to get my undergraduate degree so I don't have a lot of extra cash, but it's my daughter's 16th birthday in July and she really wants to go to Disneyland for her gift. I have enough Southwest points for one flight, and I just got an email from Scotia Bank that you can get $300 in travel rewards just for opening an account so I'm going to try that too. I also have enough Scotia Rewards for a $100 Disney card. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Other than last years STB, which posted Feb 3rd, things didn't get into high gear until April. The month of March I only earn 156 miles but by the end of Dec I had earned over 18,000.

I would not worry about it. There is lots of time in the year.

I agree with the others that this first quarter is always slow for airmiles . I look at it a little differently as well... if they want my buisiness then they can offer some worthwhile incentives. I’m happy to shop at less expensive stores until they do .

Thanks for the kind encouragement! I will keep my hopes high!! :love:

My shop at Foodland
I actually needed to pick up a few things.
Quaker Oatmeal (maple,brown sugar) packs buy one box at $2.99 get 5 airmiles
Oasis Smoothie (Strawberry/Banana) buy 2x $3.99 = 10 airmiles
Targeted --buy 1 box Prime chicken $7.00 = 15 airmiles
Dempster's Tortillas and one loaf of bread buy 2x $3.00 =25 airmiles
I wish I'd seen the Kellogg's special k--darn.
So not many air miles but I felt I only bought what I really needed.
total air miles 94

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Looks like the in-store specials at Foodland are the same ones as two weeks ago (Special K cereals, Smoothie and Quaker Oatmeal). I wonder when they will change them?

Metro (Ontario): Minute Rice 1.2/1.4kg is $6.49 with 10 airmiles, it's not in the flyer that I can see. Sobeys (Ontario) has it for $5.88 sale price and RCSS (Ontario) $5.98 for comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter