Airmiles Armchair Chatter

So can we use that, plus the spend $50 get 100, plus the L&G? Cause I'd be happy about that.

In the past they would have all worked together if you can get them to scan the email. The other two are automatic (L&G and S$50G100AM). I'm not certain if it will still work (I think they have been working on their system). Only way to know is to try and see what happens. I'm going to give it a go. I will report back as soon as I've shopped on Sunday.

I headed to the Sobeys store my husband works at (in Dartmouth, NS) at approx. 9:15 today and the store was pretty quiet. He told me that several of the Blue Friday items were not being recognized by the computers, so I reviewed my receipt carefully immediately after the shop. Only one item didn't work at the cash (the lysol wipes - we keep them as a backup cleaning option). So I went to the service desk before leaving, and received my 20 AM with little issue. I even warned a fellow shopper who had them in her cart to check if she needed to do the same, in case hers didn't work also - different scents).
My husband also said he (and other department managers at his store) felt a little taken by surprise by the Blue Friday items, so some items had not been well stocked ahead of time because of poor communication. Thankfully everything I wanted was available. But clearly here, and across Canada some stores are better informed and therefore can be better prepared!

My goal was to spend approx. 150 and receive 445 AM (Jumbo cereal, chewy bars, smart ones meals (trying these), hummus/dips, lysol wipes and the in-store-prepared fruit yogurts). However, I also decided to add in 10 Dipps for Halloween (thanks for the great suggestion, OttawaMom I think...) and a non-blue Friday cereal purchase which had 30 bonus points, and 3 MyOffers online loaded points deals.

My shopping included some stuff to prepare for my sisters arrival and stay with us for a week (yay) but amost everything I bought was on sale and/or had AM! I don't remember ever having such good AM ratios in the Atlantic flyer!!

Spent $182 before tax, netted 581 AM!!!!!!

Oh, and to the person above who was confused why their base miles was one higher than they expected (I think 6 instead of 5 for $100 spend?) it's likely you had spent an odd $19 earlier this week. Base points are awarded for every $20 spent from Sunday to Saturday. So if I spent $5 Mon, Tues, Wed, and then $25 Thurs, on the Thursday receipt I would get 2 AM. Hope that makes sense!

Oh, and to the person above who was confused why their base miles was one higher than they expected (I think 6 instead of 5 for $100 spend?) it's likely you had spent an odd $19 earlier this week. Base points are awarded for every $20 spent from Sunday to Saturday. So if I spent $5 Mon, Tues, Wed, and then $25 Thurs, on the Thursday receipt I would get 2 AM. Hope that makes sense!

Great shop!

That was me by the way. Thank you. I didn't realize the stores would add the under $20 shops up that way. I always thought it was every $20 spent right then and there.

I am so pumped right now. With all the pending miles owed to me, that should arrive by January at the latest, I'm only 950 short of 4 Universal Studio tickets and 4 Blue Man Group tickets. With the 9 month expiry I can't order them until late January/early February at the earliest regardless.

I really hope the Shop the Block bonus is 2,000 again (or more) this November. Hope STB happens this November! As long as the ticket prices don't increase in Jan/Feb I'll be able to order the tickets! :woohoo:

We have the airfare covered. Just waiting for the dates to be released. Oh, and for my husband to put in his vacation request for August 2019 now that he's technically within 1 year of his requested vacation time. Yes, he had better get that sorted and approved before I book the flights. :rotfl:

Well my Foodland shopping was a big bust for me. They didn't have in half the items for the Blue Friday sales and no blue stickers on the items that were Blue Friday. I spent $120 and only got 181 airmiles. Now I am sure that I could have bought more of the granola bars but I didn't need anymore of those. They didn't have any of the Bothwell cheese or the Melita coffee pods which was my big item to get me to the $100 required. I did spend enough to get the 100 bonus miles with the normal items that I can only get at that particular Foodland. Plus my family will be happy because even though there wasn't any bonus airmiles I did buy 5 boxes of the Nestle frozen treats.

Have ya ever heard that saying Shop till ya Drop...I was out of bed at 6 am and at Sobeys--Spend $132.47 with tax=805 airmiles,,School donation

At noon I headed back to Sobeys for my own personal shop spend $155.47=692 airmiles
This is where I got a road block--NO Prime chicken and I needed 10 boxes.
Manager of Mississauga store refused to give any rain checks for 1 day only blue friday deals.
OK
So off to Milton Sobeys
spend $114.60 = 304 airmiles BUT no Blue Friday 100 airmiles,,,
so we do the pass me from one cashier to another to a supervisor ,,by this point there were 5 people refusing to leave the store until they get there 100 airmiles posted and many arguments over how many times the spend a $100 coupon get 100 airmiles could be used was going on. Finally I was like I have 10 boxes of frozen chicken here so I started to write the supervisor's name on my receipt and she changed her mind and manually added the 100 airmiles to my card.I have never heard so much bad mouthing of a reward program as I heard at this store--really they all seem to hate airmiles.
Just a heads up Sobeys Milton has only a couple of Prime chicken nuggets left.
Just a note both of my Mississauga store receipts said *Blue Friday Offer*100 miles
Milton store did not.

I need some lunch and then I will decide if we are doing the granola bars for Halloween and go back out tonight.

A busy but productive day. 1901 airmiles
Hugs to all my airmile friends.
Mel

Last edited:
I had the same issue on the coupon - Terry Fox said no but I went to Stittsville and no prob. Terry Fox was woefully unprepared for Blue Friday - they really seemed to have no clue - do they even look at their own flyers?

Anyone go to the Oakville Sobeys (Maple Grove)? I was wondering what type of Bothwell cheese they had and if they have any Prime chicken strips?
Thanks
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
For those saying that the stores were not stocked well.....
My DD is a manager at a grocery store. I'm always giving her a hard time(jokingly) over things in her store that I need and the shelves are bare. She has told me that that there is a very serious shipping problem. Not enough trucks and drivers so they are constantly having trucks arrive days late therefore, a lot of empty shelves. This is an issue with the companies that supply the stores. She is very frustrated with the daily customer complaints....it's been going on for months with no end in sight.

Anyone go to the Oakville Sobeys (Maple Grove)? I was wondering what type of Bothwell cheese they had and if they have any Prime chicken strips?
Thanks
Hugs Mel
I was at Glen Abbey and there were tons of the chicken products. I bought the stuffed ones and some wings. I looked at the strips/nuggets and would say that there were not as many but still lots. Didn't even look at the cheese but have bought that one in the past and they usually have lots....but not a big variety, maybe 4 kinds.

Glen Abbey tends to be better stocked in general than Maple Grove. Also, MG staff are not too swift.

ETA: that cheese....I've bought pepper jack, white cheddar and I recall a med cheddar.

For those saying that the stores were not stocked well.....
My DD is a manager at a grocery store. I'm always giving her a hard time(jokingly) over things in her store that I need and the shelves are bare. She has told me that that there is a very serious shipping problem. Not enough trucks and drivers so they are constantly having trucks arrive days late therefore, a lot of empty shelves. This is an issue with the companies that supply the stores. She is very frustrated with the daily customer complaints....it's been going on for months with no end in sight.

Hugs to your daughter--it is a very difficult situation.
Hugs Mel

I was at Glen Abbey and there were tons of the chicken products. I bought the stuffed ones and some wings. I looked at the strips/nuggets and would say that there were not as many but still lots. Didn't even look at the cheese but have bought that one in the past and they usually have lots....but not a big variety, maybe 4 kinds.

Glen Abbey tends to be better stocked in general than Maple Grove. Also, MG staff are not too swift.

ETA: that cheese....I've bought pepper jack, white cheddar and I recall a med cheddar.

Thanks Hon
I may go out in a little while and have a look.
Thanks for posting.
Hugs Mel

In the past they would have all worked together if you can get them to scan the email. The other two are automatic (L&G and S$50G100AM). I'm not certain if it will still work (I think they have been working on their system). Only way to know is to try and see what happens. I'm going to give it a go. I will report back as soon as I've shopped on Sunday.
Thanks. I do plan to try. They have a few things in sale we always need

I stopped st Sobeys. Spent $132.17 about 20 of that was stuff with nonairmiles we needed. Got 526 airmiles and no issues with them showing on the receipt. I made the guy scan my card at the start so I could watch them. U am very happy though I had to improvise when the bothwell cheese we wanted wasn't there. And the big cereals weren't well marked so I didn't get them. We will be eating hot dogs and pepperoni for a while though :) and only over budget by $12!

RAndom Shoppers/No Frills question...if I use my PC points to buy something that I have a load and go promotion on to get points, will I actually get the points since I didn't spend the cash to buy it?

Shoppers, no you don't get points for the part of the purchase paid with pcoptimum points. Never have been able to.

No Frills, yes you can earn points when you pay with points, however not 100% sure if you are thinking about this weekend's threshold spend offer, but it should work.

Well I am pooped! Got a "call from one of my boys at school" (wink, wink), and then headed off to Sobeys, Shoppers and No Frills.
40 boxes of granola bars, plus ONE free (coupon buy 4 get 1 free, says 1 coupon per person, waaah!) 400 AM, 4 bags of chips 40AM, Mayo 30 AM, Bounty (have to give 3 x 3 kids to school) 50 AM, bagels 20AM + other misc = 132.32 shop before tax and 646 airmiles, woo! Also used my previously purchased gift cards and snuck in a 200$ gift card purchase for Disney for my cruise, nice.

Second transaction was for 142.97 (I'm sure I could have done 3, but those buggies aren't big enough and my freezer can't handle that much more right now), 12 boxes of Lipton chicken noudle soup (my kids would eat this every day if I let them), 150AM, cinnamon rolls 5 AM (mine!), 4 jumbo dogs 40 AM, 4 boxes of chicken burgers, 100AM+15L&G, 10 Smart ones for lunch next week for DHand I 50AM, croissants 10AM, total 480AM

Shoppers my moisturizer had a get a bunch of points for each 5$ spent, plus I had a coupon spent 75$ get 22500 points, total spend 160.05 (that darned bag), 56,900 PCpoints. Which my PC card will add a bunch of other points up to 13.5% back.

No Frills Iactually bought "meal food" and fruits and veggies, but they had their version of blue friday too, and were giving out 30,000 points, so I ended up getting another 32,900 points (plus whatever my credit card, plus the No Frills extra pts).

I'm exhausted but I "saved" money today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter