Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Yup, it was the entire Duck family that downgraded our Universal tickets. I had sent an email asking about this and received both a phone call and a written response saying no problem. However, since i didn't want to find out at the gate that it wouldn't actually work we had four 2 day 2 park tickets (not sure how they word that, but you get the idea) We had zero problem downgrading each to a one day 2 park ticket and received the difference on a gift card .. we ended up with about $400 according to my records that we used for all of our meals, extra snacks and a TON of souvenirs we would not have picked up. It was super easy and they gave us no grief over the fact that they came from Airmiles. I wouldn't hesitate to use Airmiles for this again but I'd probably still get 2 tickets to allow us "free" spending money.

Could you use the gift cards towards paying for your Universal hotel?

Flights are booked for our November WDW trip! I lucked out and they were only 5600 AM for the 2 of us. From Ottawa. A steal compared to our 9 night hotel stay which was over 17,000 AM. At it’s a Disney Springs Official hotel :) as we will need that 60 day Fastpass window if Galaxy’s Edge opens during or before our trip! *Fingers Crossed*

Got another Shell offer for January, fill up (25L +) 4 times for 100 AM. I have one more fill up with Petro before the 16th to earn a bonus 1000 points there that I plan to do next week. I don't drive much over Christmas/New Years so only filled up once the past two weeks! Not sure if I'll make it at Shell but we'll see if I can squeeze that in. Need the miles after all, new year, must get to Onyx.

Finally got Disney's site to work and the room discount with Canadian deal tickets and out of pocket dining is the best deal for us. At least if we want to stay Deluxe since I don't like to do too many table service any more, we've seen all the characters and kiddo is so picky it's hardly worth it. He'll eat chicken nuggets, salad, burgers and fries, but a buffet? Nah. I'm still debating a trip somewhere in April too but probably won't decide on that until I file my taxes in March. Maybe by March I'll have some airmiles and can use redtag deals to take a trip? Looking at Punta Cana. Even if I only have the AM I have now plus the STB bonus it would be $400 off. I'm sure by then I can come up with another $100 or so... if Sobeys etc will offer some good deals! Any way :) rambling now! We normally cruise but cruises won't be on Redtag for awhile. It might be fun to do an all inclusive. But it also might be too boring for kiddo.

Flights are booked for our November WDW trip! I lucked out and they were only 5600 AM for the 2 of us. From Ottawa. A steal compared to our 9 night hotel stay which was over 17,000 AM. At it’s a Disney Springs Official hotel :) as we will need that 60 day Fastpass window if Galaxy’s Edge opens during or before our trip! *Fingers Crossed*

Which hotel are you staying at? Disney Springs hotels are something I know nothing about!

Last edited:
I did online chat for the Mastercard 3 transactions for 500 BM and gave her 3 partners and the amounts. They asked for the amounts without tax...which I don't even know if I had the receipts still. So I just divided by 1.13 to take off the HST and hope it's right. She said she would be sending an email to their BMO internal staff and process the miles posting. But it could take 4 to 5 days to see it she said.

Did you have to pay a lot of taxes and hotel fees on top of the AM? This is something I keep going back and forth on...save dream miles for the hotel, or keep in cash miles to use for gas and groceries, then divert that money to my travel fund to go toward hotels.

Could you use the gift cards towards paying for your Universal hotel?
YUP! You can use their gift cards for almost everything. From their FAQs
Using Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards

Can I purchase theme park tickets with a gift card?
Yes, Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards may be used to purchase theme park tickets at the front gate of both Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure.

Can I use a gift card for a stay at one of the on-site hotels?
Yes, Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards may be applied toward room nights and other goods and services at any of the on-site hotels at Universal Orlando Resort.

Can I use a gift card to purchase vacation packages including hotel and theme park tickets through Universal Parks and Resort Vacations?
No, a gift card cannot be used to purchase vacation packages including hotel and theme park through Universal Parks and Resort Vacations at this time.

Can I purchase Blue Man Group show tickets with a gift card?
Yes, Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards may be used to purchase Blue Man Group show tickets at the Blue Man Group box office.

Can I use Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards to shop online?
No, Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards are not redeemable online at this time.

Can I use a Universal gift card to purchase additional Universal gift cards?
No, Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards cannot be used as payment to purchase other Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards.

Did you have to pay a lot of taxes and hotel fees on top of the AM? This is something I keep going back and forth on...save dream miles for the hotel, or keep in cash miles to use for gas and groceries, then divert that money to my travel fund to go toward hotels.
You do need to pay taxes & fees but you pay them up front, in CDN funds when you book. I don't recall ever thinking they were outrageous but since i don't have enough miles in either account to book a closet under the stairs (still in Harry Potter mode here :P ) I can't confirm this!!

I always like knowing there will be no extra charges when we check in and we've never had any troubles when using miles for hotels.

I did online chat for the Mastercard 3 transactions for 500 BM and gave her 3 partners and the amounts. They asked for the amounts without tax...which I don't even know if I had the receipts still. So I just divided by 1.13 to take off the HST and hope it's right. She said she would be sending an email to their BMO internal staff and process the miles posting. But it could take 4 to 5 days to see it she said.

Yup, did the chat for this today too. I don't have access to my statement for September so I am in the process of getting that from BMO so my transactions can be verified. What a $hit show.

Which hotel are you staying at? Disney Springs hotels are something I know nothing about!
Doubletree Walt Disney World! They have some added benefits even though they are not "Disney" hotels. There are 7 hotels that are part of this program. Free shuttle buses (not the usual Disney ones though), extra magic hours, and 60 day FP booking instead of 30!

I paid about $325 in taxes and fees and about $230 in the AM trip insurance. I worked hard for these AM so in my opinion I don't want to lose them. I had factored in the taxes & fees for my budget for this trip but the insurance was extra to that.

I just got 5 x 75AM posted for that November/December Sobeys shop 5 times for $100+ email. I know some people had different rewards or different thresholds. :)
My posted as well - same as you but there should be another 25 coming because we did all 5. Guess it will be a little bit later.

I just got 5 x 75AM posted for that November/December Sobeys shop 5 times for $100+ email. I know some people had different rewards or different thresholds. :)

With that and my December 23 Spend $150 get 150 receipt coupon posting today I'm up about 600AM! Woohoo!

My posted as well - same as you but there should be another 25 coming because we did all 5. Guess it will be a little bit later.

Oh thanks for posting that you got them!

I just checked and mine posted today too. I only did two shops over $100 at Sobeys because I was spreading my $$$ all over the place in December but I will take any extra AMs I can get!

upload_2019-1-3_8-7-13.png

I always say I wont go crazy spending for Christmas and then I always do!

I was just coming here to ask about this offer. I only received 2 of the 3 shops I did (will have to look at my receipts a little more closely to see if I had disqualifying items).

Rexall L&G ends today for anyone thinking of waiting to see what might pop up on Thursday.

Well, count me in as getting bit in the butt! My L&G was spend $25, get 25AM, so I decided to wait until today to see if AM L&G posted something better. Nothing so far. Now to decide if I want to still do the spend $50, get 80 email, or just wait until next week.

Well, count me in as getting bit in the butt! My L&G was spend $25, get 25AM, so I decided to wait until today to see if AM L&G posted something better. Nothing so far. Now to decide if I want to still do the spend $50, get 80 email, or just wait until next week.

yup, me too! i’m going to wait though. when the duck mentioned the flyers from last year looking similarly bleak at the start of the year, i remembered feeling this way so i looked at my earnings from last year. january was bleak! there isn’t a ton i need right now, so i’m going to just wait it out until we get some decent offers. the bean counters might be hoping shoppers will cave, but i’m stubborn and have some decently full cupboards! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter