Airmiles Armchair Chatter

We LOVE self-checkouts and wish more stores had them! Hubby is a tad anal when it comes to how things are bagged and has been doing that for as long as we've been a couple .. he wants things packed according to how he puts them away when we get home :P We've also been using our own bags since before that was a thing (but we're used to being called odd!) Grocery shopping has always been an adventure for us and when the kids were young that was our date night and when they added the excitement of scanning the stuff ourselves it became a game (again, we're aware that we're weird!)

We use them for all of our shopping, small and large trips, even the massive pre-Christmas ones, and never have any trouble paying with any method, some gift cards don't scan properly but just hit the little button to call the cashier over & poof, it's fixed! Sobey's is my FAVOURITE because you scan your AM card first and you know immediately if the bonus offers have worked or not and the one we use even says the price of everything you scan. It even takes your coupons!

We LOVE self-checkouts and wish more stores had them! Hubby is a tad anal when it comes to how things are bagged and has been doing that for as long as we've been a couple .. he wants things packed according to how he puts them away when we get home :P We've also been using our own bags since before that was a thing (but we're used to being called odd!) Grocery shopping has always been an adventure for us and when the kids were young that was our date night and when they added the excitement of scanning the stuff ourselves it became a game (again, we're aware that we're weird!)

We use them for all of our shopping, small and large trips, even the massive pre-Christmas ones, and never have any trouble paying with any method, some gift cards don't scan properly but just hit the little button to call the cashier over & poof, it's fixed! Sobey's is my FAVOURITE because you scan your AM card first and you know immediately if the bonus offers have worked or not and the one we use even says the price of everything you scan. It even takes your coupons!

Ummmmm..... I am quite a bit like your Hubby....and maybe even *worse*:o
I put everything on the conveyor belt how I want it bagged,,,cans altogether,,breads,buns together,,fruit and veggies separate,,,and meat has to be bagged separately. I hate when people push into my shopping space and get to close to me. I like to watch each item scanned and watch the cash register. I would love a self scanning system but alas my store doesn't have one yet. I still pay for bags BUT we are frequently short on plastic bags at my school so I end up donating them there.
Shopping is a fun activity for me,,always looking for savings....and airmiles.I do much better when I leave the sons at home :tilt:.
Hugs
Mel

I don't mind bagging my own groceries, I do so at FreshCo, Food Basics. I often have issues with the way they do it in the stores and will shuffle things myself at the car or when I put the bag in the cart. I guess I don't like the self checkouts because I feel they have removed a job from someone. My niece worked at Sobeys, another one worked at Farm Boy. The one has moved on to a bank, which I don't feel is the best place to be either. Banks are also moving so much to self doing. So many have removed those jobs that allow you to gain experience without needing a lot of education, jobs to have when you are starting out or whatever. Even in the McDonalds near me, they have the self order machines. I do use those when the line is long, however I am much slower at punching things in than the people working the cash! I guess I'm getting old :) I remember the old days when I had to go into the bank to deposit a cheque... now I take pictures of it with my phone and voila the money is in my account! Technology I guess :)

Oh boy. I'm like your hubby too. I do the same as Mel. I line everything up on the belt based on how I want it bagged (easier to put away) and the cashier ALWAYS screws it up! Like, why are you putting the apples with popsicles, granola bars and juice?! Just put all of the produce together, boxes pantry items together, drinks (I drive so I don't care if it's heavy to lift), canned/jarred goods...etc

Half the time I think I've left stuff at the store as I have no idea which bag it went into.

Well, that was exhausting to type LOL

*rant over*

Oh but in this family it starts the minute we walk in the store ... bags in the bottom, cold food in the "baby seat" cans on the right, boxes on the left, large items on the bottom .. cleaners & such get separated from the food by the bags (oh good lord we've got it bad!!)

Tomorrow is coffee & shopping day I'm excited already :P

I'm just happy if the bread gets home without getting squished (huge pet peeve of mine). I do agree, someone should really be instructing cashiers on the proper was to pack a grocery bag. Occasionally I have come across someone who really knows how to do it and I thank them for a job well done.

Ok after reading alohamom's response below add bruised bananas to the list of pet peeves.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I thought it was only me who organized my shopping for bagging!

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one LOL

I too prefer self checkouts because I am VERY picky about my produce and the last thing I want is a cashier picking up my gorgeous hand selected nectarines or bananas to see the code sticker and then throwing them down with the other groceries. I know they think I am weird when I ask them to hand it back to me so I can put it gently into a bag where I want it. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and I find it can be expensive so I dont want to come home with mushy apples or bruised bananas or whatever!

hahaha, I'm a picky bagger too. I have my bags categorized as to what goes where. Red bag with supported bottom- eggs. Purple bags - produce. Disney bags - treat food! Honestly I have been pulling the cardboard shipping boxes off the shelves and using those too. I don't bother with buying less than 24 boxes of KD anymore.

I wouldn't mind self-checkout if it was made easier for large cartloads. I never find myself in the store for under 10 items! There is always chaos when I use a self-checkout with a full cart, AM coupons to scan, items loaded on the app, it's Blue Friday, and naturally there are 2 cashiers in the entire store.

Oh my goodness, I thought it was only me who organized my shopping for bagging!

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one LOL

I too prefer self checkouts because I am VERY picky about my produce and the last thing I want is a cashier picking up my gorgeous hand selected nectarines or bananas to see the code sticker and then throwing them down with the other groceries. I know they think I am weird when I ask them to hand it back to me so I can put it gently into a bag where I want it. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and I find it can be expensive so I dont want to come home with mushy apples or bruised bananas or whatever!

Speaking of damaged fruit, the worst is when I have carefully taken the time to select nice and firm grapes, and the cashiers always want to put those in the bags first, then follow with canned goods or something along those lines, ignoring my grouping on the belt!!

I'm just happy if the bread gets home without getting squished (huge pet peeve of mine).

OMG! I once watched (in horror) the cashier literally squeeze my bread while tossing it in the bag. I said "well, you might as well give that back to me because now I am going to go and get a new one" and then holding the line up.

Now I just ask for the eggs and bread to go into their own bag with nothing else. Even if that means having to use one plastic bag for them. DH even squishes the bread by getting every last ounce of air out of the bag when closing it. Ugh. Like, like the bread breathe!

Wow. I didn't realize how much this is all really bothered me! LMAO

I wouldn't mind self-checkout if it was made easier for large cartloads. I never find myself in the store for under 10 items! There is always chaos when I use a self-checkout with a full cart, AM coupons to scan, items loaded on the app, it's Blue Friday, and naturally there are 2 cashiers in the entire store.

YES! THIS! My local Sobeys has installed self checkouts that are kind of like the ones at Walmart but I find there isnt enough room for a big shop and then if I shop at No Frills I find the conveyer belt is long enough but the bagging area is too tight beside the nest person and then I rush through getting outta there

Who knew we had so many issues with the grocery store (besides the lack of airmiles). I'm getting a good laugh reading all these responses (as I realize I'm not alone). If I read them out loud to DH he would just give me one of those eye rolling uh huh's!

So I decided to sign up for PC optimum and went today for my first shop. I don't normally do Shoppers, but they do have good sales from time to time. Anyway, my question: I had 2 offers, spend $50 and receive 15000 points or 20x the points, one or the other. I spent $50.12 before taxes and did not receive either offer. Any idea what I did wrong?

Once again, you guys are my people! :)

I always organize how things need to be bagged together. Frozen stuff first so it can all go in my koozie freezer reusable shopping bag. Bothers me so much when they put Tostitos or something in that bag and then all the frozen stuff split up into different bags.

Otherwise I'm just a regular person who doesn't want the bread, buns, eggs, etc. to be crushed or broken because they package things badly! I think the issue these days is the cashier has to scan and bag everything.. there used to be people who specifically bag your stuff!

I must admit FreshCo's only down side is you pack everything yourself. Feels very stressful at times. But they price match and have really cheap prices so I'll take it :)

So I decided to sign up for PC optimum and went today for my first shop. I don't normally do Shoppers, but they do have good sales from time to time. Anyway, my question: I had 2 offers, spend $50 and receive 15000 points or 20x the points, one or the other. I spent $50.12 before taxes and did not receive either offer. Any idea what I did wrong?
Where did you see the offers? Did they scan your optimum card? How many points does it show on your receipt?
I had 2 offers a few weeks ago. One was for using my PC mastercard, the other was the 20X's offer and they both went through.

i’d just contact them through the website because it sounds like you did everything right!

Where did you see the offers? Did they scan your optimum card? How many points does it show on your receipt?
I had 2 offers a few weeks ago. One was for using my PC mastercard, the other was the 20X's offer and they both went through.

Did you load the offers before you used them? You'll only receive one of those offers, not both (they don't stack). Did any points show up on your receipt? If they do, don't worry - sometimes they take a few hours to hit your account, but I've never had an issue with them actually posting. The nice thing is, if they are missing, it's easy to report missing points and get them with PC.

Did you load the offers before you used them? You'll only receive one of those offers, not both (they don't stack). Did any points show up on your receipt? If they do, don't worry - sometimes they take a few hours to hit your account, but I've never had an issue with them actually posting. The nice thing is, if they are missing, it's easy to report missing points and get them with PC.
Wasn't me that had the missing points it was Kitntrip.
I have never had to load a PC offer, they load automatically, at least for me. Is it different for others? Also, I did get both offers to stack however the 15000 was for using my PC MC on a $50 spend and the other was the 20X's offer. I was told by someone else they wouldn't stack but they sure did.

All offers were loaded to my card/app, I scanned it before I scanned my items. I did receive some points, but i did not receive either offer. Guess I'll just wait and see!

All offers were loaded to my card/app, I scanned it before I scanned my items. I did receive some points, but i did not receive either offer. Guess I'll just wait and see!

If you still have the offers in the app, do a screenshot. A bug from their system once precented posting points and they wouldn’t credit them unless I proved to them they had been loaded. Luckily, as soon as I saw they had not posted on my account I had taken screenshots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter