Airmiles Armchair Chatter

The more I read it over, the more it seems like AirMiles just copied and pasted something that might have come directly from Air Canada, into their template, then bookended it with their own contact info/statements.
Ideally we would change to a November trip. I was planning to run my first Disney race there at the Star Wars weekend, but I would try for the fall Wine and Dine (except it's sold out, but we would probably try to go at that time anyway). I would prefer to just cancel everything and get my cash and miles returned, but that wasn't an option listed in the email text, so I assume I have to call and ask.
Unfortunately both my husband (bakery manager at Sobeys) and myself (quality assurance technician at a company which makes medical devices - nothing that can help with this virus, but it's not like other diseases are on hold right now) are still working, so phone calls are going to be hard to make. I'm thinking I just wait and see if I get any more emails from AM detailing what their plans are for cancelled flights.
I'll wait a week or so and they should do something with my other flight by then. I'll call and let you know what they say. Check the Air Canada website re cancelled flights. They will allow you to rebook easily. You have to jump through hoops to get your money back but it can be done. My guess is AM will want to do the easier of the two.

THANK-YOU for doing your part to protect our communities and those who work in essential businesses. My mom (who will be 80 this July BTW) owns an M & M and mentioned that the day before yesterday she had someone come into the store talking about the amazing trip he'd just got home from and how he'd needed to go thru FOUR separate airports to get home from New Zealand. But no fears, he felt fine and didn't think he fit any categories on the sheet they gave him and he threw out as he walked out of Pearson. What is wrong with people?!?!?!?!?!
I wonder what some people are thinking too! I went grocery shopping today and saw a guy opened his car door in front of my car and spit onto the ground. Seriously?! What kind of common sense personal hygiene he is not getting during this state of emergency? I stared at him and shook my head while I was driving passed his car. I couldn’t believe what I saw! By the way, he was not Asian. So it’s not Asian culture in play here.

For those of you who redeemed miles for Universal & Disney tickets depending on how you handled those tickets this will either be good news or rather confusing!
This has appeared on the Airmiles site -thanks for the head's up @ilovetotravel1977 i figured this is a good place to share it as well.

First, excellent news for Universal tickets

What should I do if I’m holding Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?
Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets redeemed prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.
What should I do if I’m holding Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?

Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets redeemed prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

The news for Disney tickets is a tad more confusing Disney LAND - also excellent news
What should I do if I’m holding Disneyland California Resort or Walt Disney World Florida tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?
Disneyland California: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Disneyland California tickets redeemed prior to March 5, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Disney WORLD .. good grief, this is a tad messy! Does anyone NOT add them to your MDE as soon as you get them?!?!
Walt Disney World Florida: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Walt Disney World Florida tickets redeemed prior to March 5 that are NOT through “My Disney Experience” can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Alternatively, if your Walt Disney World Florida tickets have been connected to their “My Disney Experience,” these are not eligible for a refund; however, please note tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Guests can make changes themselves to further extend their dates on MyDisneyExperience.com or via the My Disney Experience app.
Thanks for posting, but I am raising my hand slowly.....I have a bunch of tickets that are not linked yet.

We waited 1hr 20 for our Walmart grocery pickup on Wednesday. Usually wait 15 mins max. I’m happy everyone else is using these pickup services instead of personally going into the store! However one of the Walmart employees kept trying to get people to open their window or car door and talk to them up close. He clearly doesn’t get what is going on... :sad2:

On the other hand with everything being out of stock - do people not usually grocery shop?! I’m not trying to order much more than my usual $100 per week for my husband and I but there is so little food in stock.

We are going to try Instacart this week to get groceries from Superstore delivered right to our home. Leaving instructions for them to just leave on our porch and not make contact with us.

We haven’t travelled and we are not sick but the less contact everyone has with each other, the better right now!

I received a similar email (2 actually, one for the flight down, one for the flight home) for our trip April 17 to 30th. The "schedule change" is a cancellation, yes. However, there was a bit more information provided in my email. More info, but less clarity?

We regret to inform you that AC1666 from Halifax, Stanfield Intl (YHZ) to Orlando, Orlando Intl (MCO) on April 17, 2020 has been cancelled due to the impacts of COVID-19, government travel advisories and/or health and safety concerns.

The full value of what you paid will become a future travel credit valid for 24 months. To store this value, if you booked with:

1. Air Canada: Visit https://www.aircanada.com/mybookings and enter your booking details. Select "Cancel Booking" and when you select confirm, any change fees will be waived.

2. A travel agency: They will process this for you on your behalf.

3. Air Canada Vacations: Your credit will be stored automatically.

4. Aeroplan: Visit https://www.aeroplan.com and select "Manage Your Bookings" to return the Aeroplan Miles into your account.

When you're ready to rebook within 24 months, if you booked with:

- Air Canada: Please call us and make sure to provide your original ticket number starting with "014".

- A travel agency: Please contact them directly.

- Air Canada Vacations: Please contact them directly.

- Aeroplan: You can rebook anytime at https://www.aeroplan.com.

AIR MILES Confirmation Code: ####

Airline Confirmation Code: ####

Please call us at 1-888-413-1311 or at 416-228-6627 and choose option 2. If we don't hear from you, your request may be denied, or you may be charged a fee.

So... do I call now? Or not? Final sentence says if we don't hear from you, but the phone and online messages all say they are only dealing with those who are trying to return to Canada or whose flights are within 36h from now.

I've received nothing and my flight is April 13 to Savannah. My flight doesn't even seem to exist anymore when I check for it although it still shows up when I check my booking.

Last edited:
We waited 1hr 20 for our Walmart grocery pickup on Wednesday. Usually wait 15 mins max. I’m happy everyone else is using these pickup services instead of personally going into the store! However one of the Walmart employees kept trying to get people to open their window or car door and talk to them up close. He clearly doesn’t get what is going on... :sad2:

On the other hand with everything being out of stock - do people not usually grocery shop?! I’m not trying to order much more than my usual $100 per week for my husband and I but there is so little food in stock.

We are going to try Instacart this week to get groceries from Superstore delivered right to our home. Leaving instructions for them to just leave on our porch and not make contact with us.

We haven’t travelled and we are not sick but the less contact everyone has with each other, the better right now!
I've read a few FB posts about people using Instacart and the delivery times were days later.....3-4-5 that sort of thing so don't wait until you need your groceries that day or the next day.

I was going to go to grocery delivery but I need to get out and do something other than walk around my neighbourhood. So my plan is to be at the store when it opens and I have my shopping planned out based on store layout. I went yesterday and the store was actually quiet....not as quiet as it should have been on a Friday at 8am but it was very easy to get through without being near people. LOL....I watched a woman cough(it was just a throat clearing cough) and literally every head within ear shot swivelled like the Exorcist.

My DD has been telling me that she is getting constant requests from her former manager at RCSS asking her to take a shift or two to help out. As the mama bear I have said no.....she spent 13 years in the store working literally day and night....so she owes them nothing. She agrees with me that she is doing her part keeping the supplies flowing to the stores right now....and she has also been jumping in with other categories placing orders and dealing with issues. I on the other hand am considering taking a temp position in the store but I have said I will ONLY work night crew stocking shelves so that I am not around other people.

I've received nothing and my flight is April 13 to Savannah. My flight doesn't even seem to exist anymore when I check for it although it still shows up when I check my booking.

Sorry to hear, I'm sure communication is spotty at best for many travel things.

On a good note, my AM Hotels booking with Pop Century was just as simple to cancel as I was hoping. (I was one who had previously booked with AoA using the new Hub and then cancelled and re-booked with Pop). I cancelled using the Hub this morning, and my 20,000 AM are back in my account already. Slowly working through getting all the individual pieces of our trip:

-AM booking of our 2 flights, which the email I shared is referencing. I'm just in a holding pattern, as @ottawamom pointed out the statement on their website.
-AM Hotel stay at Pop (cancelled smoothly, AM returned, waiting on the refund to appear on my card).
-3 days at the beginning of our trip booked directly with WDW (I'm not sure if I should cancel using MDE or just do nothing because I'm sure Disney will soon bulk cancel for groups of dates after Mar. 31)
-Race registration for the half marathon (RunDisney has said they will issue refunds to the original form of payment so I'm just waiting to see the refund appear on my card).
-1 CAN resident ticket redeemed with AM (not doing anything with this, since it's good until Dec. 31, 2020 and we are hoping we can use it by then.
-1 5-day date-specific ticket bought directly from Disney good for April 20th start. So... not sure about this, but I think it's best to wait until WDW comments on what they are doing for April. Hoping to convert it to dates for the fall, and use both tickets to go then.

Overall I know I have made out much better and with fewer costs and headaches than others.

Sorry to hear, I'm sure communication is spotty at best for many travel things.

On a good note, my AM Hotels booking with Pop Century was just as simple to cancel as I was hoping. (I was one who had previously booked with AoA using the new Hub and then cancelled and re-booked with Pop). I cancelled using the Hub this morning, and my 20,000 AM are back in my account already. Slowly working through getting all the individual pieces of our trip:

-AM booking of our 2 flights, which the email I shared is referencing. I'm just in a holding pattern, as @ottawamom pointed out the statement on their website.
-AM Hotel stay at Pop (cancelled smoothly, AM returned, waiting on the refund to appear on my card).
-3 days at the beginning of our trip booked directly with WDW (I'm not sure if I should cancel using MDE or just do nothing because I'm sure Disney will soon bulk cancel for groups of dates after Mar. 31)
-Race registration for the half marathon (RunDisney has said they will issue refunds to the original form of payment so I'm just waiting to see the refund appear on my card).
-1 CAN resident ticket redeemed with AM (not doing anything with this, since it's good until Dec. 31, 2020 and we are hoping we can use it by then.
-1 5-day date-specific ticket bought directly from Disney good for April 20th start. So... not sure about this, but I think it's best to wait until WDW comments on what they are doing for April. Hoping to convert it to dates for the fall, and use both tickets to go then.

Overall I know I have made out much better and with fewer costs and headaches than others.

My flight doesn't even exist anymore since it is a direct to Savannah flight which isn't one of the airports accepting international flights anymore. A friend who booked with me through Aeroplan was able to cancel on the aeroplan website and get their points back.

My flight is no longer showing as a booking on the AM site and the booking comes up with nothing on Air Canada. Holding pattern waiting to call. Glad your friend got the points back.

For those who have your wdw tickets, I wonder if disney will waive the “no fastpass bookings” rule if you need to move your dates out.

For those of you who redeemed miles for Universal & Disney tickets depending on how you handled those tickets this will either be good news or rather confusing!
This has appeared on the Airmiles site -thanks for the head's up @ilovetotravel1977 i figured this is a good place to share it as well.

First, excellent news for Universal tickets

The news for Disney tickets is a tad more confusing Disney LAND - also excellent news
What should I do if I’m holding Disneyland California Resort or Walt Disney World Florida tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?
Disneyland California: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Disneyland California tickets redeemed prior to March 5, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Disney WORLD .. good grief, this is a tad messy! Does anyone NOT add them to your MDE as soon as you get them?!?!
Walt Disney World Florida: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Walt Disney World Florida tickets redeemed prior to March 5 that are NOT through “My Disney Experience” can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Alternatively, if your Walt Disney World Florida tickets have been connected to their “My Disney Experience,” these are not eligible for a refund; however, please note tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Guests can make changes themselves to further extend their dates on MyDisneyExperience.com or via the My Disney Experience app.
Does anyone have an Air Miles address to return the Universal tickets to? I poked around but didnt see one, and live chat is closed til Monday...

Not sure exactly what is the logic here, but note starting tomorrow amazon is at least temporarily leaving airmilesshops:

ATTENTION: Starting March 23, 2020, and until further notice, Amazon will temporarily be unavailable through airmilesshops.ca due to the impact of COVID-19. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Not sure exactly what is the logic here, but note starting tomorrow amazon is at least temporarily leaving airmilesshops:

ATTENTION: Starting March 23, 2020, and until further notice, Amazon will temporarily be unavailable through airmilesshops.ca due to the impact of COVID-19. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Ack, probably because they don't need to entice anyone to shop at Amazon with so many retailers closed.

Not air miles related, but I must say, with having nothing to spend money on these days besides groceries and gas, I think I just might be able to pay off my mastercard over the next couple of months! No summer soccer fees, no summer camp fees, etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter