Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I wonder if Air Miles would give miles back (without their insurance) if the travel ban was still going on? Especially if people booked prior to all of this happening?

I know I won't get my Air Canada vouchers back, for many reasons.

Hmmm, we've been tossing around the idea to get DD an iPad versus another Samsung tablet. She's had hers since she was six, and takes very good care of it. They have the 10.5" iPad Air 64GB on the merchandise site on sale from 9,690 down to 7,752 miles. They are $650 retail.

I have 12,620 Dream miles and I don't see any cruising in the near future (MAYBE this time next year).

How do I calculate if this sale price is a good deal or not? What's the formula again?
I think the formula is: 95 cash miles = 10$, so 7752/95=810$.

I think it's also worth noting that if you put your miles towards a cruise, the travel rate for dream miles is 909 miles = 100$. So using those same 7752 miles towards a cruise (7752/909), you'd be looking at 850$ worth of miles.

I'd say it's not a great value to get a 650$ item for 7752 miles. But that said, you might see value beyond the cost. Getting an expensive gift for your daughter that's going to be fun and useful right now might be worth more than saving your miles towards a future cruise?

So $wise it's not a great value, but the subjective part might make it worthwhile for you?
Now that is $650 not including tax? Add tax and might be close to AM

Anyone who is familiar with the new Beta version of the website. Where do I find the page that tells me how many AM I have collected this year towards my status. I know it must be there somewhere I just can't seem to find it.
I'm gonna beg forgiveness for 2 things here - one that this question slipped in and out of my sieve-brain without answering and two that someone else might have answered it and I've not noticed. Sorry on both of those things, no excuses because I'm sure we're all dealing with the same sense of overload.

I've been landing on the Beta site for close to a year now and I'm happy that i can finally do more than just poke around without getting redirected to the old one. To find your status you need to click on your Profile and then click on My Benefits and it will open the old site to the correct page.

Hopefully you find something a tad more hopeful that i did ... even if they actually start the Mega Miles promo I'm might be hard pressed to make ONYX this year. I'm going to miss my Rexall miles :(

So I went shopping at Sobeys today , spent $216 and I earned a whopping 10 regular miles and 30 bonus miles. Every mile counts. I had to shop for my family and a friend. She had sent me a list. I did make up my list by aisles so that made it easier. I found most stuff but no yeast (well except for pizza yeast) and no pure vanilla. The day hasn't come yet where I will resort to the artificial stuff. I will use other stuff in place of vanilla. I have actually used maple syrup for vanilla before. I do have bread machine yeast so I can still make bread. As for making Onyx this year I have collected 3203 air miles so far so over halfway there.

There is different kinds of yeast? Huh.

I don't even half 3k airmiles yet this year. I was hoping for Megamiles to get another couple thousand. Hopefully when things settle down we will all be able to get back to earning some miles! Until then, I will take what I can earn.

So I went shopping at Sobeys today , spent $216 and I earned a whopping 10 regular miles and 30 bonus miles. Every mile counts. I had to shop for my family and a friend. She had sent me a list. I did make up my list by aisles so that made it easier. I found most stuff but no yeast (well except for pizza yeast) and no pure vanilla. The day hasn't come yet where I will resort to the artificial stuff. I will use other stuff in place of vanilla. I have actually used maple syrup for vanilla before. I do have bread machine yeast so I can still make bread. As for making Onyx this year I have collected 3203 air miles so far so over halfway there.

Only traditional yeast at my IGA today (I’m looking for instant). For pure vanilla, check the organic aisle. If not, check Amazon.

Hmmm, we've been tossing around the idea to get DD an iPad versus another Samsung tablet. She's had hers since she was six, and takes very good care of it. They have the 10.5" iPad Air 64GB on the merchandise site on sale from 9,690 down to 7,752 miles. They are $650 retail.

I have 12,620 Dream miles and I don't see any cruising in the near future (MAYBE this time next year).

How do I calculate if this sale price is a good deal or not? What's the formula again?
Wait!! Is this for the dd two posts above you were saying is making more than you guys right now?? Lol. Keep the am for a trip!

This is a great idea of making a list for each isle,,thanks Hon'

I've ordered my Tuna from Amazon (Cloverleaf,,solid white albacore) and it looks like they are out of stock,,but I am hopeful it will come in soon,,I do have 3 cans so I should be good for 2 weeks. My problem with buying no name brands is they just aren't safe for me,,, as sometimes they are cross contaminated with shellfish,,(I am anaphylactic to shellfish).
If it doesn't come in a few weeks I'll try Shoppers/Metro/or Sobeys.
Family is also on the look out for me,,so that is nice.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Wait!! Is this for the dd two posts above you were saying is making more than you guys right now?? Lol. Keep the am for a trip!
That's my DD. LOL....my AM are MINE!!!! and usually all for WDW. That kid of mine spares no expense when it comes to buying the latest and greatest in tech....I then wait to get her old cast offs.

Talking about Onyx, I'm only 126 miles away. I would have had that a month ago if the world hadn't entered the Twilight Zone. I might make it after my next Amex bill....not sure though, I've hardly used it. I'm going to make an effort to pay all my bills online with either the Amex or MC. I know I can pay Bell but not sure about others. I normally pay them online but through the bank.

In my area (Ottawa) I’ve seen people find yeast at Bulk Barn! I’m pretty impressed with Bulk Barn’s procedures right now too by the way.

In my area (Ottawa) I’ve seen people find yeast at Bulk Barn! I’m pretty impressed with Bulk Barn’s procedures right now too by the way.

What? Bulk Barn is open? I did not realize they were.
What procedures are they following? Just curious as I shop there quite a bit and if I think it is safe I might just head over there the next time I venture out.

I just ordered from Staples.ca three bottles of Green Works Dilutable Multi-surface cleaner for my floors. $13 and no shipping costs. I can't seem to find this in any store, so when I saw it on Staples, I grabbed a few. I've been using Lysol Multi-surface, but it isn't good for pets. I use Green Works for my bathroom products and it's great. I also have the glass cleaner, but that doesn't work so well, too streaky.

What? Bulk Barn is open? I did not realize they were.
What procedures are they following? Just curious as I shop there quite a bit and if I think it is safe I might just head over there the next time I venture out.
I went last week to get hubby's tea bags after I got an email from them explaining how they're still open. You go in and you get a "personal shopper " who will go around and get the items you want while you stand at the end of the aisle. No reusable containers right now and they are maintaining strict social distancing between themselves. I had to put on gloves even though I wouldn't be touching anything myself. (Those ridiculous things that are like baggies!) I was really impressed. In and out quickly and I'll go back if I need anything they carry

@dancin Disney style what about your cellphone or cable bill? I can pay Virgin Mobile and Bell both with my credit card.
Cell is already paid via CC and my TV is on auto debit from my bank account. I've been debating cancelling the TV anyway. We have satellite and it is now only connected to 1 TV in the house. The other TV's have android and Netflix. I've still got a landline too....I should ditch that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter