Airmiles Armchair Chatter

In case anyone wants to see some of the masks I've been making over the last several weeks you can go check THIS POST

here's a teaser
a couple of Disney ones
View attachment 499070
Those are so cute. Are you using a pattern? I just went to fabricland and got some cotton to see what I can come up with. I can’t make clothes but can sew straight lines. I’m good at making pillows.

Those are so cute. Are you using a pattern? I just went to fabricland and got some cotton to see what I can come up with. I can’t make clothes but can sew straight lines. I’m good at making pillows.
Yup, i took forever studying youtube videos, cutting out patterns, trying mock-ups until i finally settled on one that fits well and is sorta easy to sew. It does have a fair number of round edges though but there are no darts, no fancy pieces to match, it's just one pattern piece.

Now if you are looking for masks that are JUST straight line sewing they are extremely easy! I made a ton of them -- hardest part is sewing the dang pleats (the main reason i looked for a different pattern) I can share either with you if you'd like

Here's a picture of the flat ones before they get pleated

Side note: I really miss Fabricland!!! I DID sew a lot of clothes for the kids, all the costumes and lots of home decorating things and they always had great deals!

Yup, i took forever studying youtube videos, cutting out patterns, trying mock-ups until i finally settled on one that fits well and is sorta easy to sew. It does have a fair number of round edges though but there are no darts, no fancy pieces to match, it's just one pattern piece.

Now if you are looking for masks that are JUST straight line sewing they are extremely easy! I made a ton of them -- hardest part is sewing the dang pleats (the main reason i looked for a different pattern) I can share either with you if you'd like

Here's a picture of the flat ones before they get pleated
View attachment 499314

Side note: I really miss Fabricland!!! I DID sew a lot of clothes for the kids, all the costumes and lots of home decorating things and they always had great deals!
I’ve just spent an hour on YouTube. I’ve got one to try. It’s a pleated one. My mom has now decided that she is doing her own groceries...she can’t take it anymore. Plus, she’s so picky about brands that if I bring an alternative she’s not happy. Anyway, she only has a couple of masks on hand and tried to search online for some....she’s not good searching so she found nothing. I was about to order her some that wouldn’t arrive until end of July and then I thought I should just make some. It looks like DD might have a bit of in class time come fall so she will need several masks. I’m thinking 2-3 per day.

Did you use only 2 layers or did you add a lining? The videos I watched were 50-50 on that. I don’t even know what to use for a lining anyway.

I’ve just spent an hour on YouTube. I’ve got one to try. It’s a pleated one. My mom has now decided that she is doing her own groceries...she can’t take it anymore. Plus, she’s so picky about brands that if I bring an alternative she’s not happy. Anyway, she only has a couple of masks on hand and tried to search online for some....she’s not good searching so she found nothing. I was about to order her some that wouldn’t arrive until end of July and then I thought I should just make some. It looks like DD might have a bit of in class time come fall so she will need several masks. I’m thinking 2-3 per day.

Did you use only 2 layers or did you add a lining? The videos I watched were 50-50 on that. I don’t even know what to use for a lining anyway.
The one i used for the pleated style is just a single piece of fabric -- 16" x 8" and the way i sew it, it becomes double layered, with a pocket to add a filter if the user wants to add one. SUPER EASY! I'll send the instructions in a PM if'n you'd like? Trust me, it's a very simple pattern that I've basically tweaked from several to become one that i can whip up in under 30 minutes (and that's only if my thread keeps breaking, like it tends to do 🤬) Straight seams, some ironing, even add in a nose wire to make sure my glasses don't fog up.

Me too and I need it for a Birthday gift otherwise I'd cancel and reorder.
Darn!
Same. Except it is for Father's Day. I'm not confident that it will be here, though. I'm going to have to have a backup plan.

Debbie
Me too,, my son's Birthday is on the 10th.
I just did a backup plan via airmiles,,ordered Starbucks online GC and then went through the drive thru and got a glass starbucks cup and a reusable water bottle with my stars which were going to fade into the night by July 7th. I got a $50.00 gift card with the airmiles. I also redeemed a bunch of airmiles for Uber eats vouchers for him,, thank-goodness I buy Birthday cards in bulk every year from Dollar Tree.
They lady in Starbucks was do you want a bag? ,, I was like hell yes I want a bag,,,actually I said politely YES Please it's the only wrapping I have.
See we can be creative when we have to be!
Hugs Hon
Mel

Totally off topic:

Gardeners, I need your advice! Since working from home, I have donned another hat...landscaper! LOL

I need to fill in some divots / holes in my backyard before I get my pool up and running. I don't need anyone twisting an ankle. What should I use? Soil and compost mixed? Soil and sand mixed? Should I add a bit of soil over the grass seed to protect it from birds? Holes are anywhere from 4-6 inches deep.

I mowed our lawn for the FIRST TIME EVER the other night and I found it very therapeutic. I can talk to myself and b!tch about people and no one can hear me LOL

Totally off topic:

Gardeners, I need your advice! Since working from home, I have donned another hat...landscaper! LOL

I need to fill in some divots / holes in my backyard before I get my pool up and running. I don't need anyone twisting an ankle. What should I use? Soil and compost mixed? Soil and sand mixed? Should I add a bit of soil over the grass seed to protect it from birds? Holes are anywhere from 4-6 inches deep.

I mowed our lawn for the FIRST TIME EVER the other night and I found it very therapeutic. I can talk to myself and b!tch about people and no one can hear me LOL
If they are small like you say then just reg black soil. Put some seed on top tamp down..dont worry about birds..but make sure you water..germinatenin 3 to 6 days..grass sprouts after 1 week

The one i used for the pleated style is just a single piece of fabric -- 16" x 8" and the way i sew it, it becomes double layered, with a pocket to add a filter if the user wants to add one. SUPER EASY! I'll send the instructions in a PM if'n you'd like? Trust me, it's a very simple pattern that I've basically tweaked from several to become one that i can whip up in under 30 minutes (and that's only if my thread keeps breaking, like it tends to do 🤬) Straight seams, some ironing, even add in a nose wire to make sure my glasses don't fog up.
One of the pieces of fabric I bought was only $4m so that was for the trial and error masks. I made 6 of them yesterday and didn't even use half the fabric. So I made two of the pleated ones that you iron the 2 pleats right across. That was super easy and probably only took me 30 minutes.....the first one was a bit fiddley. I found that the measurements were too large so I made another one slightly smaller. I also made one adding in a wire at the nose. Then I searched a little more on Youtube and found another pleated style that was much more fitted. You don't iron the pleats on the sides...you gather the sides into 3 smaller pleats, pin them and then also add a tiny pleat under the chin. This one fit much better so I made another one adding in the wire and shortening the ear elastics. This seems to be the winner with at my house...I just need to find the perfect length for the elastic. I will send my samples over to my mom to try to see which style and size she prefers. I will have to make my moms with two different fabrics because she will never remember which side is the outside.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that I used a pipe cleaner for the nose wire......it might rust??? I also have some floral wire that I could try not sure if that would be better.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that I used a pipe cleaner for the nose wire......it might rust??? I also have some floral wire that I could try not sure if that would be better.
The mask pattern that I found adds a separate slot for the wire so that it can be removed. I tried to be a dressmaker and mix 3 different patterns together to get one I liked but that was an epic fail so I will go back to using just one or two of the patterns to get what I want. I had no elastic at the time so I used string that has to be tied but my family doesn't like that one but now my sister found me some elastic so I will go and try to make more masks today. She even found some elastic that is attached to toggles so nothing has to be tied but I will have to figure out how to attach it to the masks so that 1) they work and 2) they actually fit nicely.
One of my patterns does suggest using the floral wire and that is what I have so I would go with that.

One of the pieces of fabric I bought was only $4m so that was for the trial and error masks. I made 6 of them yesterday and didn't even use half the fabric. So I made two of the pleated ones that you iron the 2 pleats right across. That was super easy and probably only took me 30 minutes.....the first one was a bit fiddley. I found that the measurements were too large so I made another one slightly smaller. I also made one adding in a wire at the nose. Then I searched a little more on Youtube and found another pleated style that was much more fitted. You don't iron the pleats on the sides...you gather the sides into 3 smaller pleats, pin them and then also add a tiny pleat under the chin. This one fit much better so I made another one adding in the wire and shortening the ear elastics. This seems to be the winner with at my house...I just need to find the perfect length for the elastic. I will send my samples over to my mom to try to see which style and size she prefers. I will have to make my moms with two different fabrics because she will never remember which side is the outside.

I was using floral wire at first (the girls made alllll of the flowers for their wedding and I still have everything in my basement, 5 years later 🤦‍♀️) but I then stumbled across a package of wires at dollarama that are cut into long pieces in amongst the craft supplies. I fold them in half, fold the 2 cut ends over and then twist the entire thing together. Since it's coated I don't need to worry about rusting. I used ties instead of elastic, cut up some old undershirts and then pulled into tshirt yarn (Google it, super easy) it's soft, has a bit of give and allows for a much better fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter