Airport assistance for 2 people?

Which airport are you flying out of (home)?
In my experience with my late father, he just needed to be extra patient and allow plenty of time in case there aren't enough people nearby. You can also check with the Dis-ers to see if anyone happens to be arriving or departing the same days--I know I'd be happy to take a few minutes to help out if we ever overlapped. (I know the odds are very small, but hey!)

We had a terrible time with wheelchair assistance at MCO in December. Make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time. We were taking a shuttle from Caribbean and they drop you off at luggage. There are no wheelchairs down there and no one to help you. So someone who can walk long distances has to get themselves up to your airline check in counter to get a wheelchair and request assistance. Since I was the only one who didn‘t need a wheelchair out of the 3 people traveling it was a nightmare. The people at the airlines told me i could just take two wheelchairs downstairs and they would only request a pusher after I got them upstairs. How I was suppose to push 2 wheelchairs and the cart with all the luggage I don’t have any idea. My mom decided she would try walking while pushing the luggage thing while I pushed my aunt (who absolutely can’t walk on her own) . It took forever to get them both upstairs and we waited over 30 minutes for someone to come push them. We barely made our flight and missed pre boarding which made it a nightmare since my aunt requires the special wheelchair onto the plane.
If you are completely wheelchair dependent I would not recommend one of the bus shuttles to MCO as they all drop you off below and it is heck to get up to the check in area. Lots of backtracking and long distance to cover. Find someway that will drop you off upstairs.
We fly out from PDX and it is lovely there. I forget how spoiled we are with our airport here. MCO is a freaking nightmare.
Not trying to scare you, it is doable, and WDW is amazing for people in scooters and wheelchairs, but MCO is the worst. Just give yourself ample time.

What is your plan once you get to WDW? When you check into your hotel how do you plan to get to your room? What about the park?

What is your plan once you get to WDW? When you check into your hotel how do you plan to get to your room? What about the park?
Probably renting a scooter or wheelchair for length of trip. Either scooterbug via bell services or meet n greet with other vendors

Last edited:
Probably renting a scooter or wheelchair for length of trip. Either scooterbug via bell services or meet n greet with other vendors
The problem with a wheelchair is if you both need a wheelchair, who pushes? I haven't seen anyone in the park who's "self propelling" in a wheelchair. But I certainly hope that if someone on here has, or has seen it done, they'll post here. I know that there are 2 rides in MK where, if you have an ECV, you have to transfer to a wheelchair at the attraction and have someone else in your party push you through the queue to the ride. They're Pirates of the Carribbean and Winnie the Pooh. And as I was typing this, I think Alladdin's Magic Carpets may be another. I travel solo often, so unless a CM offers to push me, those rides are out.

We had a terrible time with wheelchair assistance at MCO in December. Make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time. We were taking a shuttle from Caribbean and they drop you off at luggage. There are no wheelchairs down there and no one to help you. So someone who can walk long distances has to get themselves up to your airline check in counter to get a wheelchair and request assistance. Since I was the only one who didn‘t need a wheelchair out of the 3 people traveling it was a nightmare. The people at the airlines told me i could just take two wheelchairs downstairs and they would only request a pusher after I got them upstairs. How I was suppose to push 2 wheelchairs and the cart with all the luggage I don’t have any idea. My mom decided she would try walking while pushing the luggage thing while I pushed my aunt (who absolutely can’t walk on her own) . It took forever to get them both upstairs and we waited over 30 minutes for someone to come push them. We barely made our flight and missed pre boarding which made it a nightmare since my aunt requires the special wheelchair onto the plane.
If you are completely wheelchair dependent I would not recommend one of the bus shuttles to MCO as they all drop you off below and it is heck to get up to the check in area. Lots of backtracking and long distance to cover. Find someway that will drop you off upstairs.
We fly out from PDX and it is lovely there. I forget how spoiled we are with our airport here. MCO is a freaking nightmare.
Not trying to scare you, it is doable, and WDW is amazing for people in scooters and wheelchairs, but MCO is the worst. Just give yourself ample time.
If you are completely wheelchair dependent, wouldn't you have a wheelchair with you at all times? Wheelchairs are considered medical and can be used, then put in the plane hold. To be honest, it sounds like your aunt needs to have her own device to use to get around? Or did she just choose to leave it at home to keep it from being damaged in transit?

If you are completely wheelchair dependent, wouldn't you have a wheelchair with you at all times? Wheelchairs are considered medical and can be used, then put in the plane hold. To be honest, it sounds like your aunt needs to have her own device to use to get around? Or did she just choose to leave it at home to keep it from being damaged in transit?
At home she can use a walker, in the house and to and from her car, but it takes forever for her to get from point a to b. For her to walk a block would easily take an hour. She uses a scooter when she is not using her walker around the house and when she goes to stores and things she just uses the scooters provided because it is easier for her. She doesn't have just a regular wheelchair.
We had a walker for her to use in the hotel room and to get from the shuttle drop off to the driveway of the Caribbean and then I picked up the scooter and drove it to her.

OK, for flying out, have you looked into whether your departure airport has an option for someone (without a ticket) to go through screening with you, in the event a wheelchair cannot be found?

When at MCO, when you leave, you may wish to get a ride that will take you somewhere other than where buses drop people off. That might make it easier to find a wheelchair.

Check your departure airport's website, they may have more information

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter