*Airport Transportation - Best VALUE??

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
I know that it is cheaper to take Mears than to do, for example, Tiffany's Town Car. However, I am looking for opinions relating to VALUE.

Here's the situation: I am surprising my mom with a Christmas trip to the World, since this will be her first Christmas since my dad died. I want the trip to be special, but I am on a budget. So,

If you only had two people, and wanted to get roundtrip transportation to/from the airport, which transportation service would you use?

Mears
Tiffany Town Car
Disney Transportation
Other

Note: Information about costs and/or coupons would be greatly appreciated!!

I have used TTC for just two people (me and my DD) and found it to be a good value. You get so much more than just transportation from the airport. The driver meets you at the baggage claim area and helps you with your bags. One year a blizzard delayed our arrival by several hours. I called TTC to let them know when our new flight would be coming and the driver (Ronnie) was right there. Somehow, our luggage made it on a different flight and Ronnie knew all the guys in the lost luggage room -- we bypassed a long line of travelers.

Also, you can request a grocery store stop that can help add "value" to your trip. Finally, you don't have to stop at every other person's stop first before you FINALLY get to your resort. (I always seemed to be the last stop.)

I have done both Mears and TTC. I do have a little more fun money now than I did years back when we used Mears, but had I known about TTC (thanks to these boards) I think I would have switched over a long time ago.

Good luck making this a great trip for your mom.

I also would still use Tiffany - even though it costs a little more. The cost is $80 per round trip (plus a tip for the driver). There is a $5 coupon on their website and an $8 coupon in the back of the Passporter guidebook By the way - you have to *bring* the book and show it to the driver. You can't cut out the coupon. This is to prevent people from going to the bookstore and just stealing the coupon - this used to happen all of the time with the coupons in the back of Rita Aero's book.

I'm not sure what you mean by Disney Transportation. Mears is the "official" airport transportation from Disney -- you get a coupon for them with your reservations - but I'm not sure what their current rates are -- I think about $15 a person.

When are you going? For how long? Where are you staying? All of these factors determine what I would use. For example, if you were staying for a week outside of Disneyworld and could rent a car for about $80-$100 it might be more of a value to you than spending $80 on just round trip to and from the airport.

I think a car rental give you the best value for your money. For 2 people on a budget MEARS is OK.

A compact rental car is the best value for us. Mostly because eating off-site is a real money saver for my family. It was nice to be able to get out and shop, tour the resorts and see other inexpensive attractions when we werent in the park.

We used Disney transportation and our rental car and it was nice to get a break from the buses.

Sheila

The current round-trip cost of Mears transportation is $27 per adult. The round-trip cost of Tiffany is $80 plus tip (for up to 5 people). It is less expensive for my family of 3 to take Mears, but I still opt for the towncar service for the comfort and the ability to make a grocery stop.

I am so thankful for all the responses. Tarmand asked some questions, which I thought I would answer, so if anyone else has any feedback, they will have all the pertinent facts!

We are staying at the Dolphin (we got a great teacher rate, which makes it so very affordable!). We will be flying in on the evening of December 26th, and leaving on January 1st. So, I'm sure it will be really busy.

I mentioned Disney transportation, because when I was on one of those sites for Palm downloadable information, they had a link to transportation, and one of the possibilities was listed as "Disney Transportation", and it said that they had recently added the airport as a stop! Not sure if that is true...

Also, when people have posted rates above, with coupon information, are the rates with or without the coupons?

Thanks again for taking the time to give such great information!!!

the Coupon for TTC in the passporter or the Rita Aero Guide book is for $8. off,the printable one at the TTC site is $5. When I went Mar.2001 TCC was $80. round trip,paid at drop off,the Driver deducted the Coupon. So,I paid $72. But,I split the tip in 1/2 for each driver each way. So,$20.tip 1st driver got $10. return trip 2 driver got $10.

DisneyAHolic23,

I just did some quick research and see that for that period rental cars are pretty steep. I got a rate from Budget for $169.99 plus taxes and fees. For those rates, I personally would not rent a car. However, I would continue to watch rates and if they went down would jump on them. This is just my opinion. I really hate to be anywhere without my own transportation. We are going in September and are definitely renting a car. So, to answer your question, TTC does sound like the best value right now. But keep looking. As long as you don't absolutely hate driving, having a car gives you much more freedom. Also, Priceline may be a good alternative for you. I am not sure if I will try to use them for my trip because two of the five companies they deal with are outside of the airport and I want to get to WDW as quickly as possible.

You have plenty of time - I am sure whatever you decide will be wonderful!

I have also recently read something somewhere about new Disney airpot transfers. I have tried to find more info, but i have been unable to. I do know that in 1995, my son won a trip to WDW and a Disney driver was there inside the airport waiting for us and one other winner to take us to WDW.
Gerri

Any other town car/transportation ideas? Does anyone have any experience with Ibex?

Thanks again for all the information!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter