AKL Questions - Please help

franw

DIS Veteran
We are being bumped over to the AKL due to CBR renovations. Should I upgrade to a savannah or pool view. I am concerned about getting stuck with a parking lot view. Also I keep reading that the rooms are very dark. Is this true? How is the food at the AKL. Is the buffet fairly decent for breakfast? We have always stayed at the CBR and love its tropical feel. After some serious illnesses in the family, this trip is very special to us and I want it to be a great experience. Can someone give me some advise and calm my nerves. Thanks a bunch.

The buffet, Boma, is wonderful for both breakfast and dinner.

The AKL is wonderful!

Never stayed there (but trying to arrange it). From what I've heard, Savannah views are awesome & worth it. I've also heard a rental car is key at AKL. Anybody have thoughts on that?

I'm not sure which is my favorite resort, AKL or Poly. With my oldest, DD12, I don't mind letting her wander through AKL unattended, because I feel it's secure. (Haven't stayed at the Poly when she's been old enough to wander, yet!)

AKL is a beautiful hotel! The pool is wonderful, Boma's is the best. My DH even liked it and he *hates* buffets.

The lighting is dark; I have trouble seeing good to iron. I know. . . what are you doing ironning while on vacation!? It's just something I do after I clean the clothes. Having said that, both DH and I love the "feel" of the darker lighting; we find it very relaxing.

Enjoy your stay!

Lori

Since this sounds like a special trip I definately would upgrade to Savannah view! We stayed there this past February and it was such a unique hotel. We had a room on the 3rd floor of the zebra trail facing Arusha Savannah. The breakfast buffet is not only decent it has a huge amount of offerings. You really should try dinner too if you don't mind trying different things. As far as the rooms being dark I agree they are dim but that just adds to the whole theme to this resort. Regarding the buses we didn't rent a car and never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Didn't find the ride to the parks bad at all:D

If you can afford it, I would definately upgrade to a savannah view room...it is amazing. The entire resort is amazing..and I don't know why people keep saying it is dark.

The furniture in the rooms is hand carved in dark wood by people in Africa. The comforters are beautiful...greens/oranges, etc. The lobby is like a small art museum. The restaurants are excellent, Boma, the buffet restaurant is probably the best buffet on disney property.

The pool, hot tubs, childrens play area, pool bar..all wonderful.

The best thing there is the castmembers...spectacular.

Can't wait to go back!

People say the AKL is dark primarily because of the lack of light in comparison to the other resorts. It's not really due to people's opinions, because of the use of dark woods and furnishings the lobby and rooms ARE dark. Each room has 3 - 52 watt bulbs in the fixtures, so, you can well imagine what that does for the lighting atmosphere. If you want to read, I would suggest bringing higher wattage bulbs.

If you plan to spend a lot of 'resort' time, you might want to upgrade to savannah view. If you are commando park tourers the view becomes less important.

AKL is a great resort and it's my new favorite, I'm sure you'll love it either way.

Thanks to everyone for your information on the AKL. I think I will try to upgrade to a savannah view and I feel a lot better now about staying there. I know that it is an upgrade from a moderate hotel (CBR) to stay at the AKL but we have always had such a great time at the CBR and we have many fond family memories of staying there. We live in Colorado and the beauty of the palm trees and greenery are so different from here. Thanks again.

Franw,
I was quit hesitant to stay at AKL as well. But w/ the upgrade from CBr being so good I decided I would go for it. I wasn't feeling really positive about it though until I saw -"Tikiman's"- photos he put up. I don't know exactly how far back you will have to go but they are on the resort board. Take your time and look through back posts. Trust me once you see them you'll be so excited to go. They are truely the best pics I've seen and you'll wish you were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter