AKL Review

justhat

<font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick
We stayed at AKL from 12/27-12/31 and I loved the hotel and can't wait till we cans tay there again. We stayed in rooms 2507 (Arusha Savannah) and 2508 (Uzima Savannah). We called our requests in on 12/23 and got exactly what we asked for. Since we had to rooms, we wanted to be on different savannahs, but near each other, so that we could see the views from each savannah. We asked for Zebra Trail, one on Arusha and one on Uzima on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We were in a great location and there were feeding stations in front of 2507 and very close to 2508 so we always saw many animals. We took some great photos which I'll post a little later. For anyone requesting a certain room, I would recommend these 2 locations, but really anywhere on this floor is probably great. You're almost eye level to the animals and we were just a short walk from the lobby and restuarants. It was too cold to swim, but we were also very close to the pool.

My mom and fiancé were much less enthusiastic about the hotel, but still liked it a lot. Both of them are monorail people so since AKL doesn't have the monorail it's not as good to them. What may have contributed to this view was the horrible bus service we encountered practically every time we left the hotel. We never waited less than 20 minutes for a bus, and since others were waiting when we got there, the bus we wanted could not have just been there. On average, our wait times were 30-35 minutes and when a bus did finally come, it almost always stopped at AK to drop people off, even after AK closed it would stop there so people could get their cars out of the AK parking lot. This stop at AK would not have been bad if the buses ran more frequently, but since we had already been waiting 30 minutes, the last thing we wanted was to stop at AK. The bus service really messed up our plans on many occasions, especially in the mornings. Since MK, MGM, and AK all opened at 8 while we were there, EE was at 7am so we'd drag ourselves down to the bus stop between 6:45 and 7 each morning. We just couldn't get up early enough to be there right at 7, but as long as we beat in the offsite crowd we were happy. Well, this rarely happened for us because of the wait time for buses. Though we got to the bus stop on NYE at 6:45am, the MGM bus didn't come until 7:35. Then it stopped at AK to drop off and pick up people, then it went to MGM. Well, by the time we got there it was almost 8am and since so many people were there for NYE by 9:30am the park was pretty crowded and we had missed out on all that EE time. Though we didn't expect the bus to be there when we got to the bus stop, we thought we'd definitely be at the park by 7:30, but instead we were still waiting for the bus then. What made this worse was that they had AKL CMs at the bus stop that morning and the bus still took forever.

This happened again on 12/30 when we went to Epcot for a PS at Bistro de Paris. Our PS was for 6:30 so we were at the bus stop at 5:30pm. The Epcot bus did not arrive until 6:25pm. We told the bus drivers for every other park how long we had been waiting and they said a bus was on the way. If we had known it would take this long we would have taken the MGM bus and then taken the boat, which would have been faster even with the slow speed of that boat. When the bus finally got there, everyone complained to the driver who responded that he was on his break. I understand he needs a break and as a union leader totally support them, however they should have had another bus while one driver was on his break. He then stopped at AK to drop off and pick up people and waited there a few minutes before going on to Epcot. By the time we got to Bistro de Paris, it was after 7pm.

When we switched to the GF, however, we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus and their CM at the bus stop, who was there everyday, asked where people were going and called for a bus if one wasn't there. We ate dinner at the Yacht Club one night and the bus service there seemed fine too.

Also, we came back to nap on 12/30 around 1pm and the room had not yet been cleaned, so we hung the do not disturb sign and napped. When we got ready to leave for dinner we called housekeeping since they had left us a message and asked them to come clean the room. This was about 5:00pm and when we left our room at 5:15 they hadn't come, but we didn't expect immediate service nor did we need it done until we got back that night, which ended up being around 11:30pm. We got back and the room had not been touched so we called housekeeping and they said our room was marked as cleaned. Well it was not and we told them, but since it was so late, we just wanted towels so we could shower and go to bed and some glasses to drink some OJ the next morning. After 20 minutes we called again and another 15 minutes later a woman knocked at the door and handed us a bag with towels and glasses and left without saying a word. I know it was after midnight at this point, but we had asked for this to be done at 5pm so it was really not our fault.

Other than the transportation problems and one night of bad housekeeping, I loved this hotel and the views and amenities. I do understand why others have complained about long transportation times to the parks, but I hope that on our next stay there these bus issues will be resolved. Overall I would say it's a great place to stay and we'll be back there again.

Thanks for the report. :)

Sorry to hear you encountered a few snags with Housekeeping and the bus service! :(

Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing mixed reviews of the transportation. That is one reason we are splitting our stay. Thanks for the report. I hope to have better luck!

Sorry you had such bad transportation. We are booked to stay at AKL starting at the end of President's week so I am now worried about transportation that week. Can anyone who stayed at other resorts advise if they had transportation problems during the same time period. How was transportation from the moderates?

I was at GF 01/01-01/05. I thought the bus service I have always had at AKL was far better than GF. Of course, I was sick while I was there and maybe my patience was a little thin.

Never waited more than 10 minuites during this holiday period.

We had a good experience with the buses at AKL 12/8-12/14. We waited 5-15 minutes...but usually about 10. That seemed reasonable.

I don't know where the notion of "mixed reviews" for AKL transportation comes from because I generally see only excellent reviews. You had an extremely strange experience based on my 7 stays and the majority of posts here on the DIS...I don't think there's really anything to be fixed..But occasionally something is bound to happen...

Originally posted by mep319
Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing mixed reviews of the transportation. That is one reason we are splitting our stay. Thanks for the report. I hope to have better luck!

I bet you have a great time! We LOVED our stay at AKL. We also went to WL to have dinner at WC one night. That was great...and the lodge was gorgeous! It will be hard to decide between AKL and WL for our next trip ;)

Disney Cape Codder- We stayed at the AKL in April for 2 weeks and never waited more then 10 minutes for a bus the entire time and it was over Easter.

I too thought it was a fluke when we waited 30 minutes the first night to get a bus to MK, especially since it was about 9:30pm. Then the MGM bus the next morning took about 20 minutes, which I thought was the average time anyway so i wasn't too concerned. Then going to Epcot for dinner that night was a 35 minute bus wait. And things just got worse from there. I was very surprised as I have never encountered transportation problems at any other resort and since it s a deluxe hotel I thought they would have better service. This was also the busiest time of the year so I thought buses would run more frequently than they did to our hotel. What surprised me most though was that te CMs they had waiting at the bus stop on NYE didn't seem too concerned that we waited over 45 minutes for a bus. Icrowd so large had formed that when the bus did arrive there was standing room only and the driver announced that he had the most passengers ever on his morning bus--72 people! He was a very nice and friendly driver, however, and tried to makeup for how long we had been waiting, especially since it was only about 40 degrees that morning and we were all practically frozen. Since so many people were on tat bus, you'd think that the CMs would have called and asked where the bus was or to send another bus, but whenever someone asked them when the bus was coming they just said one was on the way, though they never called or radioed to check. Instead they chatted witheach other and seemed oblivious to the fact that over 70 people were waiting for one bus. During those 45 minutes a Downtown Disney bus pulled up and no one was at that stop and I don't even think the shops were open, but he said he couldn't switch to drive the herd of people to MGM.

With all of that said, however, it won't make us not want to stay there again as it is easily my favorite hotel. I loved waking up an seeing animals eating. I do still think that since the buses were bad all 4 days we were there that they do need to look into it since I could attribute 1-2 buses as a fluke, but not 4 days worth of buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter