AKL with Free Dining, Free Tckets, and Free Memory Maker?

BigDogDaddy

Earning My Ears
If my family of 4, 2 kids under 9, wanted to stay at AKL with a Savannah view, it comes to about $6,800 for 2nd week of Dec 2014. The hotel only charge from Disney would be $4,165.88 with tax.

However, if I rent DVC points from David's at $14 per point, the entire package about equals the hotel only charge from Disney

$1568 studio
$1338 tix
$149 memory maker
$1086 DDP plus

or a total of $4,140 plus taxes.

Sounds like a heck of a deal. Am I missing something?

I have never rented points, or stayed DVC, but I do know that the Studios only have one queen bed and a pull out couch.

Will that be okay for your family?

I also realize that mousekeeping will only come every 4 days, but we typically keep a very neat room.

I would pass up any discount offer, but I've never seen a discount worth $2600.

Our kids would be fine with the sleeping arrangements, but I can see your point, some kids wouldn't be.

Sounds like you caught on to what many other people have discovered! Keep in mind that when you rent points you need to have your dining plan added to your reservation so you'll have to pay that fee upfront at the time of reservation. Also, you can rent points from DISboards as low as 10-12 per point. You may want to check the DVC rental boards.

I think a lot of people choose to book through Disney because maybe they don't have cash in hand at time of booking? So they make payments until their vacation. When you rent DVC you need to pay all upfront.

You can also look into rentals on redweek, which are often less than renting points from David's. I've gotten the Boardwalk Villas one bedroom over Christmas last minute for $200/night. Also I just returned from another stay at a one bedroom Boardwalk Villa (preferred view) that I rented on TUG for $850 total for 7 nights.

Just saying there are other options for renting DVC, and all are usually better than paying Disney prices. I even opted not to have housekeeping come in on our day 4 - just asked her for some more coffee and Palmolive. I actually clean the place a bit more when I arrive, and wash our towels. This time, though, the unit was amazing and clean. They have a vacuum, so I did run it once too (I'm very picky).

Still, if you find something you want go for it! I also find that the dining plan isn't what we like. We play it by ear.

We've rented points from David's several times and have always been happy, especially with the $$$ saved! We also book direct with Disney depending on where we want to stay and promotions in place. When there was free dining, Disney always won $$$$-wise. We find that even when we can get the typical 25%-30% off rates booking with Disney directly, the savings with David's are still there, but aren't quite as drastic.

The only issue with David's (for us b/c we are resort-changers ;) ) is that once you commit to a certain date range, you COMMIT. There is no modification to dates, room categories, etc. allowed. Everything is set in stone within the contract. That same contract is also a "pro" in our book too.... No one can sweep in and decide they want to cancel our reservation either without consequence.

Sounds like you caught on to what many other people have discovered! Keep in mind that when you rent points you need to have your dining plan added to your reservation so you'll have to pay that fee upfront at the time of reservation. Also, you can rent points from DISboards as low as 10-12 per point. You may want to check the DVC rental boards.

I think a lot of people choose to book through Disney because maybe they don't have cash in hand at time of booking? So they make payments until their vacation. When you rent DVC you need to pay all upfront.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but something iheartdisney123 surprised me. You can add the dining plan on if you rent points?

Yes, renters can add the dining plan. However, it needs to be done by the DVC member, but the credit card holder must be in the name of the the person on the reservation. So there are a few ways to do this 1) renter provides the member sell there credit card info, 2 ) three way call with DVC services and 3) renter cal purchase a disney gift card, provide that information to the member and then the member uses it to pay for dining. The third choice ensures that you credit card info is not given out.

I am not sure how David's rental works, but dining can be added up to 72 hours before check in though I would recommend having it set up long before that. So some could rent and later pay for dining if the member I'd ok with that.

I will suggest that if you want to do this, you should probably move fast at the 7 month window, availability will change. I did a quick peak and there is a day or two already not available for standard studio. (Though I do not know what your exact dates are. )

Good luck

We have rented points from David's. A wonderful experience. With David's you pay your DVC room upfront. You can add tickets and DDP later, thus breaking up the payment schedule. Remember, with booking direct with Disney Resorts, all payments are due 45 days prior to check in on a package.

Best of luck:goodvibes

I usually rent out some points once a year and to add on the Dining plan I do a conference call. I call into member services so the renter knows I have dialed them, then I put them on hold as I give MS my information. I then let MS know that my family member wants to add on the dining plan but I don't want to hear the credit card information so I then hang up. I ask if there are any issues that both MS or the renter call me back.

There is a very fine line on how to add as it does take a credit card. I never want to know that information from my renter, in the same breath, I don't want them to hear my log in information to MS.

Renting when done correctly and safely works for everyone involved.

We discovered DVC rentals earlier this year and are taking advantage for our December trip as well staying at AKL. Even with the Free Dining promo taking place right now through Disney, it was still a much better deal because we're getting Deluxe level accommodations.

We originally tried through a DVC rental company, but availability is in short supply and they weren't able to secure a reservation for our time slot. After doing a bit of research I discovered ****************. There is a forum dedicated to folks looking for rentals. On my first attempt I was able to connect with an owner with points available. They provided references and are providing proof of deed. Was able to get the points for less than the brokers charge. Vacation is now booked Dec 9 - 19. So excited!!!!

I've officially got the DVC bug....seriously considering buying in. Renting points this year will be a good test.

Hi there, I recently just came back from a ten night stay at AKL using DVC to rent points. Overall my boyfriend and I saved about $2,000 by booking through their site. It's a little bit more work to add magical express, purchase your tickets and attach the dining plan then it is booking directly through disney but the savings was well worth it for us. If you decide to add the dining plan on they require that you contact them at least 30 days before your trip so the DVC member can add the meal plan on for you. It's easy! We had a really great time

maybe i am missing something here, so please someone help me understand the value in renting dvc...here is my current trip:

Moderate stay, 6 days tickets, november trip with free dining: total is about $2500.

Now if i rent dvc points at the lowest possible room, it is AKL at $960 for a studio. Add a $900 for tickets and $900 for dining, it is $2800 total.

Isnt the studio considered a value room with a pull out couch as part of the sleeping arrangements?

Honestly, am i missing something?

maybe i am missing something here, so please someone help me understand the value in renting dvc...here is my current trip:

Moderate stay, 6 days tickets, november trip with free dining: total is about $2500.

Now if i rent dvc points at the lowest possible room, it is AKL at $960 for a studio. Add a $900 for tickets and $900 for dining, it is $2800 total.

Isnt the studio considered a value room with a pull out couch as part of the sleeping arrangements?

I don't think it is considered a value. It's still a deluxe resort. I haven't ever rented points, for me it hasn't worked out yet.

For 300 more you can be staying at a delux instead of a moderate. pay out of pocket for meals instead of a meal plan and would probably save that 300.

Something I haven't seen brought up yet...have you already checked availability? I know there aren't many studios available and they rent out FAST. We considered renting points before but could never get our desired dates/room choice (we would only do a studio due to the big cost difference with other room categories).
I know it is a FANTASTIC savings if you really want to stay deluxe! I hope you get what you want. Good Luck!

So we have rented from Davids several times. There are certainly ups and downs. If you are looking to rent a suite, it is absolutely worth it. If you like to stay in the deluxe accommodations, also worth it. It's a wash if you're comparing moderate resorts to the DVC rooms, and definitely not worth it if you are comparing the value hotels. For us, we like the deluxe rooms, and the benefit of having a one bedroom suite. For a week long stay its worth it for us. Davids has great customer service and they are really responsive to inquiries. However there are several downsides:
-you're subject to what they have on hand. Good luck trying to secure a one bedroom at Grand Floridian in the high seasons. If you don't book eleven months in advance you might not find what you want. You might not find what you want anyway. We've had a couple trips where our first choice was not available.
-you pay it upfront. So you need cash (or credit, yikes) on hand
-unless you have travel insurance, if something comes up and you have to cancel, you are out of luck with getting your money back.
-we just ran into this unexpected issue. We are AP holders, and I wanted to try to take advantage of the free Memory Maker deal during our trip. Because we booked through someone else's DVC, it can't be done. Bummer. Be mindful of possibly loosing out on other deals offered through Disney.
-you need to put a $99 down payment to submit your request. They are great about refunding it if they can't give you what you want, but it's a nerve-racking thing to do.

For us it works:
-great deal on a room that I would otherwise not get even with Disney's discounts.
-option to add dining (even though we don't. We don't eat enough to justify it) and Magic Express
-for advance planners you get some planning done early (sometimes super early) - love those check boxes!

But I highly suggest doing the math. Know exactly where you want to stay. If you're not picky, and you don't mind a moderate or a value, it's probably not a great deal. If you're a deluxe snob, such as yours truly, it absolutely will be worth it. Esp compared to rack rates (though most times you can apply some "discount".)

I believe it is more of a "trust" factor. Before purchasing DVC, I rented points but only from a friend. I would never rent from the Disboards even though I have been around since 2004 and know many of the members. I have seen enough people get burned to scare me away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter