AKLV vs OKW ?

goofydad621

DIS Veteran
Hey All
If you had a choice of a standard view 2 bedroom at AKLV or 2 bedroom at OKW which one would you pick and why? We might opt for a split stay but my DW is not big into wanting to switch rooms half way through vacation and I am leaning in that same feeling myself since we plan to do a week’s grocery shopping for 4 people and don’t want to have to pack up the food to move rooms.
We have stayed at AKL in a regular savannah view room before and my DW and DD loved the resort savannah view or not I don’t really remember that much of it as I had emergency Kidney stone surgery 2 days before leaving and was still not feeling very good so would like to explore it more. We have never stayed in the DVC side before.
We have stayed at OKW in a 1 bedroom and LOVED it so much that we are waiting for out contract to close and this will be our first trip on our own points not rented points.
So if you were not going to do a split stay what would you pick and why?
If we did a split stay what do you do with your perishable foods in between switching rooms if it turns into a few hours ?

Thanks
Goofydad621

I would stay at the AKL. There are more food options and I like how you don't have to walk outside to get to the lobby or to grab a bite to eat. I grew up staying at OKW and love the resort but it very large, very spread out and if you don't get in the right group of building you might have to get on a bus just to refill your mug. Happy planning!

Wow, thats a hard choice.
We love the huge space that a 2 bdrm at OKW offers. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the room and doing some cooking I would stay the whole time at OKW. If not, split the stay. AKV , Jambo house , is one of my favorite places. Even with a standard view there is so much to see/do around the resort. Bell services will transfer your luggage and store your groceries while waiting for your new room.

We have stayed at OKW in a 1 bedroom and LOVED it so much that we are waiting for out contract to close and this will be our first trip on our own points not rented points.

This statement tells me you should go with OKW. it sounds like an OKW stay is what convinced you to become DVC members, so why not kick off your membership with a stay there. There will be plenty of opportunity to stay at AKV in the future, so you're not going to be missing out on anything. You'll be preparing meals in your villa, so restaurants, quick service, and walk to mug refill should not come into account. Also, if you have any hesitation at all, avoid the split stay. It's easy and a hassle all at the same time. We've done split stay, and felt stressed on the day of the split, and felt like we couldn't truly settle into the first room because we knew we had to pack up again soon....but the actual resort change went so smoothly, it surprised us. But for a trip of a week or less, I would not put myself through the stress again.

How many in your party? Since you already know you love the 1 bedrooms at OKW, I'd say stay with the AKV/Kidani savanna view the whole trip. HATE moving. Those are out two favorite resorts too, but the savanna view at Kidani is pretty special, and there is so much to do at the resort.

If you don't have the points for the savanna view, I'd book OKW. Savanna view is the only reason I'd book AKV. OKW two bedroom is very large, very roomy and very comfortable.

I wouldn't do a split stay.

We love both resorts and the kitchens in both are a good size for cooking. Old Key West is roomier, but AKV Kidani has a third bathroom which OKW does not. If bathroom does not matter, go with OKW. I agree with everyone else, a split stay (especially with a bunch of food to move) is a pain for you and Resort staff.

Thanks Everybody

I think I would rather just stay at OKW and visit AKL and walk around there for an afternoon,

Thanks Again
Goofydad621

We are currently booked for a 2 bedroom at OKW in October, but are wait listed for a 2 bedroom at Kidani and hope that it comes through. We just love the atmosphere and restaurants at AKL.

Thanks Everybody

I think I would rather just stay at OKW and visit AKL and walk around there for an afternoon,

Thanks Again
Goofydad621

Good choice - we are going to OKW in 3.5 months, and can't wait to spend 13 amazing days enjoying our 1-bedroom and huge deck - if we stay at AKV, we only enjoy the savanna view, so if that's not an option, OKW is our favorite for long stays. We always buy groceries and eat in our villa, so having breakfast on our deck every morning, plus lunch and dinner is a better view in our opinion than any restaurant can offer, plus it's a lot more peaceful! Enjoy your stay - we always love to visit AKL while we're at WDW too, as well as the WL, but it's always nice to go 'home' to OKW.

I think you're making the right decision. Staying at OKW is so relaxing and enjoyable and the 2 bedroom is huge. AKV in a non-savannah view room is nice but I think it is better to visit AKL and its offerings and then come back to your nice spacious OKW villa at the end of the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter