AKV-Kidani-how many dedicated 2BR vs. L/O?

ldo

DIS Veteran
how many AKV Kidani dedicated 2BR are there vs. 2BR lock outs? thanks, Elaine

From the DVC Resource Center sticky:

AKV - 46 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 140 Dedicated 2BR villas - 250 Lockoffs - 22 GVs. 134 villas within Jambo House at AKL (46 Dedicated Studios, 82 Lockoff 2BRs, 6 GVs) and 324 villas in Kidani Village (140 Dedicated 2BRs, 168 Lockoff 2BRs, 16 GVs) for a total of 458 Villas / 708 Max. Available

What is the difference between a dedicated 2 br & a 2br lock out? I understand what a lock out is (we used to have a 3br L/O, non DVC, 2br +1br) but what exactly does that mean in AKV? If we don't have a dedicated 2br are we missing out on any amenites? If we had the L/O would our kids have an outside access from their room?
:goodvibesThanks

What is the difference between a dedicated 2 br & a 2br lock out? I understand what a lock out is (we used to have a 3br L/O, non DVC, 2br +1br) but what exactly does that mean in AKV? If we don't have a dedicated 2br are we missing out on any amenites? If we had the L/O would our kids have an outside access from their room?
:goodvibesThanks

The L/O would indeed allow your kids to have an outside access from their room since the lockoff is a 1br + studio. The other difference is that the dedicated 2br have two beds in the second bedroom whereas the lockoff 2nd bedroom has a bed + pullout couch. Other than those two things, they are identical otherwise.

The L/O would indeed allow your kids to have an outside access from their room since the lockoff is a 1br + studio. The other difference is that the dedicated 2br have two beds in the second bedroom whereas the lockoff 2nd bedroom has a bed + pullout couch. Other than those two things, they are identical otherwise.

Exactly. Since the 2BR L/O is a studio-1BR combo, you also have a kitchenette in the studio portion.

The L/O can be a nice set up when you want to have a second entrance to the villa. It might me nice when traveling with people who might want a little extra privacy or who may tour the parks at different times. Of course, they would have to be willing to sleep on a sleeper sofa if there are more than a few people using that room.

So is there a way to insure that we'd get a dedicated 2BR or is that a "request noted but not guaranteed" sort of thing?

Also (not to hijack this thread) but I've been trying to figure out the overall differnces in Kidani vs. Jambo. From what I'm reading, Jambo was the 1st DVC @ AKL & is part of the main hotel building whereas Kidani was a separate building designed specifically for DVC. Are there 2 Br units in both? Any other differences? Do you just get what you get upon check in or do you book a specific building? The points calculator (on David's DVC rental website) doesn't make any distinction.

For resorts that have them dedicated 2BRs are a booking category and thus you can reserve one.

At AKV, you must choose your building when reserving. You can use amenities at both buildings when there but door to door walk is about 1/2 mile, can also take one of the buses or a shuttle between the two. Park buses stop first at Kidani and DD bus first at Jambo.

Jambo is the original AKL building where DVC is on the fifth floor (sixth for concierge) and the hotel is still the rest. It has no dedicated 2BRs, only lock-offs. All the smaller "value" rooms are at Jambo, same for concierge. other than the small number of values, the rooms are in the same size range as BWV, SSR, BCV, and VWL. The 1BR (and thus) 2BR master bath has a combined tub and shower not separate. Parking is in a lot across from the front of the building. It has three restaurants, Jiko (table service), Boma (buffet) and Mara (counter service). Pool area is excellent with lots of places to find shade. pool has small slide. Has the larger pool of the two resorts and a much larger store. It has 6 single story GVs which in my view are the best GVs on site (even have a pool table).

Kidani is all DVC rooms and has both dedicated and lock-off 2BRs. The studios are about the same size as Jambo but the 1BRs and 1BR side of a dedicated are 100 sq ft larger than Jambo's standard and savanna views. There is an extra bathroom in the 1BR and thus three in a 2BR. Separate tub and shower in the master bath. One advantage of a dedicated 2BR is that the balcony is one long balcony across the entire unit rather than having the wall that splits the 1BR balcony from the studio's. Only restaurant is Sanaa, table service, no breakfast, but one of the best at WDW for atmosphere and food. Pool is smaller than Jambo but it has the much longer slide and the area has an elaborate kid's water play area. Shade trees are still growing and finding shade can often be difficult. Kidani has a community hall, Jambo does not. It also has ideal under-building parking and with elevators along the wings, you can always park fairly close to your room. There are 16 two-story GVs , two of which are standard view.

My personal rule for choice of building: if getting a 1 or 2BR, go with Kidani; if getting a studio or GV go with Jambo.

For resorts that have them dedicateds are a booking category and thus you can reserve one.

At AKV, you must choose your building when reserving. You can use amenities at both buildings when there but door to door walk is about 1/2 mile, can also take one of the buses or a shuttle between the two. park buses stop first at Kidani and DD bus first at Jambo.

Jambo is the original AKL building where DVC is on the fifth floor (sixth for concierge) and the hotel is still the rest. It has no dedicated 2BRs, only lock-offs. All the smaller "value"rooms are at Jambo, same for concierge. other than the small number of values, the rooms are in the same size range as BWV, SSR, BCV, and VWL. The 1BR(and thus) 2BR master bath has a combined tub and shower not separate. Parking is in a lot across from the front of the building. It has three restaurants, Jiko (table service), Boma (buffet) and Mara (counter service). Pool area is excellent with lots of places to find shade. pool has small slide. Has the larger pool of the two resorts and a much larger store. It has 6 single story GVs which in my view are the best GVs on site (even have a pool table).

Kidani is all DVC rooms and has both dedicated and lock-off 2BRs. The studios are about the same size as Jambo but the 1BRs and 1BR side of a dedicated are 100 sq ft larger than Jambo's standard and savanna views. There is an extra bathroom in the 1BR and thus three in a 2BR. Separate tub and shower in the master bath. One advantage of a dedicated 2BR is that the balcony is one long balcony across the entire unit rather than having the wall that splits the 1BR balcony from the studio's. Only restaurant is Sanaa, table service, no breakfast, but one of the best at WDW for atmosphere and food. Pool is smaller than Jambo but it has the much longer slide and the area has an elaborate kid's water play area. Shade trees are still growing and finding can often be difficult. Kidani has a community jhall, Jmabo does not. t also has ideal under-building parking and with elevators along the wings, you can always park fairly close to your room. there are 16 two-story GVs , two of which are standard view.

My personal rule for choice of building: if getting a 1 or 2BR, go with Kidani; if getting a studio or GV go with Jambo.

Thank you for such a thorough explanation! That's just what I was looking for. :goodvibes

So is there a way to insure that we'd get a dedicated 2BR or is that a "request noted but not guaranteed" sort of thing?

Also (not to hijack this thread) but I've been trying to figure out the overall differnces in Kidani vs. Jambo. From what I'm reading, Jambo was the 1st DVC @ AKL & is part of the main hotel building whereas Kidani was a separate building designed specifically for DVC. Are there 2 Br units in both? Any other differences? Do you just get what you get upon check in or do you book a specific building? The points calculator (on David's DVC rental website) doesn't make any distinction.

As drusba pointed out, the dedicated vs. L/O rooms are specific room categories. So, for example when you book at Kidani, you need to choose the room category on the first page using online booking.

Having these as separate categories leads to one of the drawbacks of the two active waitlists rule. For example, let's say you just need a 2BR and don't care whether it's a dedicated or L/O. You could set up a WL for a 2 BR dedicated, but if a 2BR L/O comes available during the time of your WL, you wouldn't get it because it is a different booking category. So, you would have to waitlist both categories if you just want any kind of 2BR during the time you are waitlisting. Now, if you still just want a 2BR and don't care if it is a dedicated, L/O, savanna or standard, or even Kidani or Jambo, the limit on two WL's keeps you from doing all of the various possibilities. It would be nice if there was a way that the WL could be endtered as "2BR - any category". That way, whether a 2BR standard L/O or 2BR savanna dedicated opened during your WL timeframe, you would get something.

Obviously, with a resort that is so large, there are few times when some 2BR category is not available, but it would be nice to have a little more flexibility in the waitlist system.

I see. I've been using David's point calculator but it appears that it shows a limited list of possible choices available to book at AKV, probably to keep it simple.
It only lists: Value, Standard, Savannah, & Club under each heading of Studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV.
DVC points chart would then show ALL of the options? L/Os, etc.?

I'll go back to the sticky for more info. Thanks!

I see. I've been using David's point calculator but it appears that it shows a limited list of possible choices available to book at AKV, probably to keep it simple.
It only lists: Value, Standard, Savannah, & Club under each heading of Studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV.
DVC points chart would then show ALL of the options? L/Os, etc.?

I'll go back to the sticky for more info. Thanks!

Actually what David's is showing is exactly what the DVC point chart shows (go to top of this page at the right and click on "DVC Point Charts" and you will be able to get AKV's). That is because the points required for a standard view or, alternatively, savanna view room do not vary as to which building you are in or whether the room is dedicated or not. When a member goes on line to actually reserve a room, he first chooses the building he wants and then from a pull-down screen chooses the type of room, including for 2BRs at Kidani whether he wants a dedicated or lock-off. In essence if you choose a 2BR dedicated at Kidani with savanna view it will cost exactly the same as a 2BR lock-off at Jambo; likewise for standard view at both buildings

Actually what David's is showing is exactly what the DVC point chart shows (go to top of this page at the right and click on "DVC Point Charts" and you will be able to get AKV's). That is because the points required for a standard view or, alternatively, savanna view room do not vary as to which building you are in or whether the room is dedicated or not. When a member goes on line to actually reserve a room, he first chooses the building he wants and then from a pull-down screen chooses the type of room, including for 2BRs at Kidani whether he wants a dedicated or lock-off. In essence if you choose a 2BR dedicated at Kidani with savanna view it will cost exactly the same as a 2BR lock-off at Jambo; likewise for standard view at both buildings

Thank you!:thumbsup2 This is the part I don't have access to so that's why I was so confused.

For resorts that have them dedicated 2BRs are a booking category and thus you can reserve one.

There are times that you won't get exactly what you book, especially for busy times. We were given a L/O when I booked a dedicated. I was pretty upset since we have 2 little kids.

On the flip side, we had 2 thermostats. DH was able to crank up the AC without the kids putting on sweaters. I jammed the stroller between the lock-off doors so they could close it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter