AKV Seclusion from main lodge

Our guide said the name of the new restaurant will be Sanaa and will seat 150. There will also be an additional Lounge area that will seat 24. :)

Interesting. Sanaa in Swahili means "to craft" or "to construct"....it implies skilled craftsmanship...more like art (at least as a verb). As a noun it literally means artwork (like a piece of artwork).

I finally talked to my guide today and I asked about the walking distance and the fact that some here have heard one must drive or take a bus to AKL. He said the distance from AKL to AKV via the walkway, most likely from the side entrance to side entrance (he is not sure about this one but he seems fairly certain we're not talking about the front entrance/lobby to front entrance/lobby -- which would add distance) it will be around 2,500 feet, or roughly a mile, along a sidewalk. He says in his mind it is roughly like the distance at Epcot from the UK pavilion to the Mexico pavilion.

He said the distance from AKL to AKV via the walkway, most likely from the side entrance to side entrance (he is not sure about this one but he seems fairly certain we're not talking about the front entrance/lobby to front entrance/lobby -- which would add distance) it will be around 2,500 feet, or roughly a mile, along a sidewalk. He says in his mind it is roughly like the distance at Epcot from the UK pavilion to the Mexico pavilion.

Ok that's it. How to improve AKV: offer golf cart rentals or provide a running tram to ferry guests over to the Lodge. Heaven knows a mile is way too far for any DVCer to walk. :rotfl2:

Ok that's it. How to improve AKV: offer golf cart rentals or provide a running tram to ferry guests over to the Lodge. Heaven knows a mile is way too far for any DVCer to walk. :rotfl2:

2500 feet is actualy more like a 1/2 mile (but still a 7-10 minute depending on one's level of hunger)! Skip the golf carts - Segway rentals!!!

Dirk

2500 feet is actualy more like a 1/2 mile (but still a 7-10 minute depending on one's level of hunger)! Skip the golf carts - Segway rentals!!!

Dirk

Hmm, I could add a little platform to the back of my powerchair. Already have the handlebars built-in. I could see a nice healthy little profit in a side job during my AKV visits: personal shuttle service for one. I could even do door-to-door. For families, well they can all don heelys and form a human chain. Makes great fun as long as you have a firm grip.

:moped: :drive:

Dirk
One of the few downsides to staying at AKL is that there is nowhere to walk. After stuffing myself at Boma, I want to take a long walk and currently there is no place to do that. A half-mile walk between buildings sounds about right -- similar to walking back to BWV from Epcot's IG.

And, I love the Segway idea!

I finally talked to my guide today and I ... He said the distance from AKL to AKV via the walkway, most likely from the side entrance to side entrance (he is not sure about this one but he seems fairly certain we're not talking about the front entrance/lobby to front entrance/lobby -- which would add distance) it will be around 2,500 feet along a sidewalk. He says in his mind it is roughly like the distance at Epcot from the UK pavilion to the Mexico pavilion.

Because there will be a parking garage on the first floor of the new AKV building, there will probably not be a side exit per say, but you will probably be able to exit as a pedestrian without having to scale a wall (and there will probably also be stairs exiting from the upper floors). If there is access from the end of the garage to the nearest AKL guest building, it does not appear to be more than a couple hundred feet away.

The speculation has been that this access to the closest point of the AKL may be limited to enhance the AKL guest experience on the first floor. Otherwise, I can hear the complaints now: "Not only did I get the parking view, but I was also on the hall where the DVC members kept racing their Segways back and forth as if the buffet was about to run out at Boma."

If this access is limited, then pedestrians would need to walk in front of that hallway (past about 16 rooms) to the lobby entrance.

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter