Alaska 2017 Disney vs RCI

JSMT

Earning My Ears
I am trying to decide what to book for Alaska 2017 for an extended family trip. We have done three disney cruises: Alaska, Panama Canal, and Western Caribbean. We loved our Alaska trip in summer 2013. In 2017, we would have 6 adults, 2 8yr boys, 2 3yr girls, and 1 18m boy. I have a hold on oceanview Disney rooms. Also have a quote on RCI 7 night southbound trip, which is similar price but for balcony rooms. There is the option to add a few days on land with RCI. I am worried about RCI for younger kids (especially <3years). I am worried about missing all the things we love about DCL. Anyone with experience with Alaska on Radiance of the Seas? (Cross posted in DCL and RCI subgroups)

We are also trying to decide whether to do Radiance or Disney for our Alaska 2017 cruise. We put a deposit down on DCL but with the prices, are seriously considering making the jump to RCI. We could do a junior suite for about $1000 less than our 5B balcony on Disney. I'm not sure though if $1000 is enough to make the jump. Our son will be 7 next year.

I am looking at summer 2018 for Alaska. I have been looking at DCL and RCCL 2017 for comparison. RCCL is so much cheaper. Plus, they have a one way itinerary, which would allow us to do land stuff in Alaska. How much stuff is there to do on the RCCL ships in Alaska? We have only been on Fantasy, but I have a good idea what's on Wonder. It doesn't look like any of the one-way RCCL itineraries have the ships with the theaters. I thought that would be good. We have been on the same class as the RCCL Alaska ships, but it was either before DS or when he was younger. I wonder what the kids clubs are like on these.

I can let you know later this summer, as we will be sailing the Radiance on June 10th. Our group has kids aged 2, 8, 11, 13 and 14. We chose the Radiance over the Wonder due to the 1 way itinerary and the cheaper price.

We just got off the Radiance on Friday. We had mixed feelings about the ship, especially in regard to kids activities. The 2 teens were not impressed, and preferred to hang with each other and the adults the entire trip. The 8 & 10 year olds liked the kids club very much and my 2.5 year old toddler hated the nursery. He was always the only toddler there, and the space was so small and dreary compared to the nursery on the Magic.

All week we kept saying to ourselves, "we miss Disney". We did love Alaska, and will sail Royal again, but probably only on the newer ships.

Thank you for reporting back! This is good to know. I think we are going to stick with Disney for our Alaska cruise for now and try RCCL when my son is a little older. Although it sounds like the 8-10 year olds really enjoyed the clubs.

We just did Alaska on RCI Explorer in June. My 12 DD loved it as did we. I also have to say every cruise is different. We've been on RC ships where the kids club was excellent and others where my daughter hated it. I really believe so much of it has to do with the mix of people on the ship. Sometimes there are a lot of kids, other times maybe only very small kids. If you're more concerned about your kids having a guaranteed good time, then go with Disney. If you're more interested in pricing, do RC.

I say since you have the kiddos you might want to splurge, once they hit the teen mark then it's Royal Caribbean sailing from there!

We are sailing the northbound in two weeks... We don't have kids though, its just my husband and I, my mother in law and my sister in law. Worried I won't like it as much as the DCL 2014 Alaska we took but we are hitting up Denali once we debark in Anchorage so.... We will see! :hyper:

We just got off the Radiance on Friday. We had mixed feelings about the ship, especially in regard to kids activities. The 2 teens were not impressed, and preferred to hang with each other and the adults the entire trip. The 8 & 10 year olds liked the kids club very much and my 2.5 year old toddler hated the nursery. He was always the only toddler there, and the space was so small and dreary compared to the nursery on the Magic.

All week we kept saying to ourselves, "we miss Disney". We did love Alaska, and will sail Royal again, but probably only on the newer ships.

This. We were on the Explorer of the Seas the same week (we were in port beside you several times). My girls are 11, 13. My 13 yo liked the teen club but only because she could play the wii in there. My 11 yo did not like it. I felt there was a big lack of kid appropriate activities for Alaska---it was too cool for swimming/flow rider/rock wall--though there were a few hearty souls that did these. The 2 times they showed kid appropriate movies (Zootopia and Star Wars Force Awakens) there were conflicts---first with our turn for the ice skating show, then with being in Juneau. I guess I expected them to have more for the kids to do during sea days. Other than one attempt at Origami and some board games being available there wasn't much. I did comment on this on our post cruise survey. They need to do better in areas where the water activities aren't really an option like Alaska. We loved Alaska though! We are trying Royal again next summer but in the Caribbean on a bigger ship. Hoping we have better luck because we like to cruise and can't do it as often as we want at Disney prices.

I am happy to read these reviews and feel better about booking Disney now for our Alaska cruise with a 6 year old. It is expensive but he doesn't have siblings (they are all college age now) to do things with so at least I know he will be entertained on Disney. Once he is a little older we can try another cruise line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter