Alaska Cruise

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
We are heading out on an Alaskan cruise later this month, on Princess. I'm struggling with how to pack. Caribbean cruises, no problem, swim suits, flip flops and sundresses! I know we'll have to take layers, we're both checking a bag and taking a carry on but don't want to take stuff we don't need. For those of you who have been on one, what was something that you were really glad you took and anything you packed but didn't need? From what I've read, since people will be on excursions all day, the dining room dress is more casual. I do plan on taking maybe 2 nice (not formal) dresses to wear to dinner. Otherwise it will be dressy leggings with tunic tops. TIA!

I don’t have any big suggestions, except that the layers are definitely needed. We went in mid-august and out on deck in glacier bay required fleece jacket, hat and gloves.

Rain gear is also a must.

We went on an Alaskan cruise in May of 2014 and lucked out with our weather. We sailed through Glacier Bay and it was beautiful blue skies and 80 degrees. Crew member told us that the week before we wouldn’t have been doing that. We never took our winter coats out of our suitcase the whole trip. So bring it all cause you never know. We didn’t go to the main dining rooms at all for dinner cause my husband is such a picky eater. We only ate from the buffet service so we didn’t have to bring any fancy clothes. We never used the pools either.

We went a few years ago in early September. Obviously, check the weather before you pack. We generally dressed like we do during the fall season. During the day, layer. I would wear a shirt with a fleece or thermal and usually a light jacket. Make sure to take a lightweight rain jacket specifically, and I would take some sort of hat. A beanie is nice, but a baseball type hat is great if it is raining to pair with a hooded raincoat and keep the rain out of your eyes. Take a heavier coat if you have one like a lightweight down that doesn't take up much space. We actually wore shorts one day bc it was in the 80s and everyone was surprised at the temps. I believe I wore my lightweight jacket a couple of times, but mostly a fleece and rain jacket. I would also recommend that you take a pair of waterproof or waterr esistant shoes that are comfortable, because it was wet a couple of days. Light gloves were all I needed, and my husband never wore any.

The dress for dinner was definitely casual, with few wearing dresses in the evening, so I wouldn't pack much of that. We were on a Disney cruise. The Alaskan itinerary seemed different from other tropical itineraries in that most people were more focused on the excursions and less on the on-ship activities and events, including formal nights etc.

It was one of our favorite trips and you will have a great time. We loved it, and if you are cruising from Vancouver and can spend so time there to explore, I would recommend that as well.

When people say dress in layers, what they really mean is that the weather can go from 50 degrees and raining to 80 and sunny in the same day, so you'll want to pack for all scenarios. Shorts are unnecessary unless you plan to do a long hike in them, and flip flops/sandals are only needed if you plan on using the hot tubs or pools. Bring sturdy shoes; you will be walking a lot in port and almost definitely be walking on dirt trails at some point. Bonus points if those shoes are water resistant. Bring comfy jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts/sweaters, and a thin waterproof layer for shore days. Winter coats are definitely overkill. Gloves and hats are also not necessary. If you're doing a cruise in May and there is some sort of freak cold spell, there are also plenty of places in port to buy cheap hats and gloves.

For onboard, yes things are generally less formal, but princess will still have two elegant nights when men will need a collared shirt and slacks (jacket and tie optional), women will need dress pants and a nice top or a dress. Non-formal nights will still require long pants and possibly no t-shirts. What you said you're bringing sounds perfect.

We cruised with Princess in late August. Layers are a must, and definitely some sort of rain jacket and waterproof shoes/boots. I tend to be cold and did not bring shorts, swimsuit or sandals. There were times I sat on the deck wrapped in a blanket (provided by the ship) and only saw a handful of people in the pool all week.

We did a land and sea combination tour that included Denali National Park. If you happen to be doing that, know that it’s generally colder in the interior part of the state than on the coast. I wore a down vest, winter hat and scarf, and was glad I brought them. Temperature ranged from about 30 F to a high in the low 70s one day. While in Denali, it snowed enough to cause roads to be closed, and the tour buses delayed for several hours until they could clear them.

I have been to Alaska 3 times in June and July. May tends to be a little cooler than June/July so keep that in mind. But since I said that, it'll be a heat wave! (you're welcome, lol)

IDK if you are a fan of cold weather or not. As for me, I am one of those people that is always cold, and I definitely used my coats, hat, and gloves. I used the packable coats (32 degrees is a good one) and they worked great when you are layering up. Glove and hat really take up minimal room and you can pack them in shoes as a space saver. Agree with others that a rain jacket and waterproof shoes are a great way to go as well. For the ship for dinner, black pants were a staple for ease of packing.

The only thing I packed every time and never used was insect repellent. No idea if I just got lucky, but never needed it.

As for non clothing items, a really good pair of binoculars is great thing for an Alaskan cruise.

Have a wonderful trip! ⛴️

We cruised AK at the end of May last year. Basically everything those already said about layers. We brought hat and gloves and didn't need them. Our weather was pretty good but it could be hit or miss. We lived in Salomon low hiking shoes that were GoreTex when we were off the ship. These kept our feet a little warmer than regular shoes, plus there were occasional sprinkles so it gave some good traction. We also had nice wool socks that kept our feet warm. For pants, we both had on Kuhl soft-shell pants that had a fleece lining. Mine were the "frost" style from Kuhl. The temps were low-50's so these kept us warm. Plus if it did sprinkle they were weather resistant. We each had 2 pairs of these pants and just wore out for the excursions then changed.

Shoes were one thing I felt like we had less then we did on Caribbean cruises. Here I had 3 pairs of shoes; low hiking boots for port, tennis shoes for regular ship and a pair of dress shoes for at night. DH got away with just 2 pairs of shoes, his low hiking boots. Then he had a pair of all black Vans tie shoes and he'd wear around the ship during the day and also wear the same shoes to dinner (with dress pants).

If you have a set of binoculars you might want to pack those. We were surprised by how often we ended up using ours, being out on the balcony.

Lastly, if you are going into Glacier Bay and do the National Parks passport books, either take your book or some paper. The rangers will board and you could get the stamp.

Have a great trip!

Take some sort of rain protection, even if it's just a plastic poncho. Rain shoes/boots could also be a major blessing - wet feet are miserable and in cooler temps, wet shoes won't dry overnight.

The reality is the weather can vary so greatly in Alaska there is no way not to be be prepared for anything.
We hit heat waves on both our Alaska cruises. 70's. Spent most of my time outdoors in shorts and a Tee shirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter