• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Trip Report - Aug 12-19 COMPLETE!

marcemch

Mouseketeer
We are back, and here is the beginning of the trip report, as promised. I'll review more (I kept notes on my notebook while we were there) as I recover from jet lag, and post the rest over the next day or so. My daughter, aged 9 and I traveled together. We have done 1 ABD trip prior to this one - Germany last summer.
Alaska is an incredible place - truly the last frontier, and the trip takes you back to another time and way of life that seems long ago to most of us in the lower 48, but is a way of life for many still in Alaska.

So here we go. Will post my summary comments/reflections on the trip at the end.

Day 1 (pre ABD)
Flew from Anchorage to Fairbanks early in the morning with great views of Mt. McKinley and surrounding mountains and glaciers. (We flew into Anchorage the night before, and got a reasonably priced hotel (Microtel) via AAA with a shuttle from the airport. Less than ½ the price that ABD wanted for an add on day at Sophie Station). We rented car in Fairbanks and drove direct to Chena Hot Springs – about 55 miles from Fairbanks. Very easy to find Chena Hot Spring Rd - the one dead end road that takes you there from Fairbanks. Very quiet road out there, but lots of construction so it took us longer than an hour to get there. Saw some moose on the way so we were very excited! Was easy to pull over and walk down the road to get pictures – it was like we had the road to ourselves. I liked that we got out into the Alaskan wilderness a bit separate from the main travel roads that the bus used.
Arrived at Chena Hot Springs just in time for the 11am Aurora Ice Museum tour. I had seen this written up on TripAdvisor.com, and it got great reviews, so thought it would be fun to check it out. Tickets are $15/adult and $8 for a child, plus another $15 if you want an Appletini served at the ice bar in a martini glass carved out of ice. So despite it being morning, I went for it, and at the end of the short “tour”, I sat on a bar stool carved of ice (with caribou hide covers), and sipped my appletini (no other drinks are served, because only alcohol can withstand the temps of 20 degrees). By the way, they supply hooded parkas, but if you go, you might want to bring your own gloves and hat. So my daughter watched wistfully, but I promised her she could eat the ice glass when we were done (you can keep the glass). She was excited because she got to go into a real igloo made of ice. We both liked the ice rooms where you could at one time rent for the night – big ice carved beds covered in animal furs. Interesting place – perhaps a bit cheesy by some standards, but I thought it was cool! (Pun intended).
We hung around Chena Hot Springs for awhile – there was a lot to do there. There was a moose walking around in the back, so that provided quite a bit of entertainment. They have horseback rides, ATVs, an indoor pool, dog sled demonstrations (perhaps rides?- in carts of course in the summer, not sleds). We had lunch there (they grow a lot of their own food – it was good!), shopped in their gift shop, and played on the playground. Oh yes, and of course their claim to fame, a nice outdoor hot springs – adults only. If you want to come up early to Fairbanks and want to have a more wilderness experience, you might want to look into this place. I think the rooms are very basic, but I know that kids would have a fun time here.
Drove back to Fairbanks and drove up the hill to Univ of Alaska Fairbanks campus to see the Museum of the North. I highly recommend this museum! It was really well done for kids and adults and not too overwhelming. A great intro to Alaska. I think admission was $10 for adults, and less for kids, and it’s worth it. I loved seeing the outlets they have in the parking lot so people can “plug” in their cars in the winter.
Then we went to Pioneer Park, as it was a beautiful day. We toured the steam ship (interesting dioramas of nearby Alaskan towns in the past), played mini golf (the course is in need of repair, but still fun), shopped, and ate a kind of dinner here. Also a playground here. The houses here, mostly now used for shops, were original Fairbanks log cabins that were moved here. Spent a few hours there – I guess it can be crowded when the tour buses come, but it was borderline deserted when we were there. This is also the place where the salmon bake happens in the evening, although we did not stay for that. I know I couldn’t eat $31 of salmon. Some folks on our tour went and seemed to like it.
Back to the airport to return our car and our guides, Jesse & Rae, were there to meet us promptly at 7pm as I had told ABD. The huge bus took the 4 of us back to the Sophie Station, and our adventure begins! We were given a list of activities available in Denali so we could start reviewing them and booking them in advance if we were interested. Many of the flight trips do fill up early.
Sophie Station was an apartment like hotel – small kitchen, bedroom and living room. It was fairly basic, but I thought it was nice just in terms of space. I always like to have space separate from where my daughter sleeps so I can do my own thing while she sleeps without waking her. Our room looked out over trees, and it was quiet, despite the hotel being on a somewhat busy (by Alaskan standards) street. We didn’t have dinner there, so cannot attest to their food – breakfast was fine, but nothing particularly special.

Day 2
Met in Sophie Station restaurant for welcome breakfast (buffet) at 8am. 23 total "Adventurers" on the trip. Two parties without children, and the kids were aged 9-16. One family had traveled to China with ABD, and two families met during the ABD trip to Costa Rica last year. Light rain when we left @ 9:30 – made a short stop at the Alaska Pipeline which was more interesting than I expected. Then rode through downtown Fairbanks for a quick history of the city, and on to Trailbreaker Kennels, which is near the airport on the river. Watched a video of Susan Butcher’s life and winning of the Itiderod, then had a nice lunch (veggie or meat lasagna, salad, bread, peach cobbler). It was still raining but we were inside the tents. After lunch, Dave Monson, Susan’s husband, told us about dog sledding and how they need to dress for the cold and how they care for the dogs on the trail. Two of the kids got to get fully attired in musher clothing. Then it was puppy time, and the rain stopped long enough for us to get to play with a few of them. Definitely a highlight of the trip for my daughter! Lots of good photo ops there, for sure! Back on the bus to head to Denali National Park, with a stop in the little river town of Nenena for a bathroom break an hour or so later and a quick look at a railroad museum, gift shops and a walk through the town. Saw the tripod that is placed on the frozen river in winter, and bets are placed as to the day and time it will break through. Winner(s) win the pot. Had a movie on the bus before and after the Nenana break. Arrived at Grande Denali Lodge around 4:30 – luggage delivered shortly. Nice location up on the hill by itself and a pretty good view from the room, but not really walkable to the Denali Village, unless you want a good hike. Basic motel room, and it was clean. Hotel has a nice bar, restaurant and gift shop and laundry facilities ($2 in quarters required for each). Still cloudy and rain every now and then.
Met an hour or so later to go to our welcome dinner at the Denali Education Center (part of Elderhostel), where a naturalist talked to us about the environmentand animal/plant life in Denali. Wine and Alaska brewed beer were offered complimentary to the adults. We had the place to ourselves. Dinner was chicken and veggie kebobs with rice, salad, fruit, and salmon (and hotdogs and macaroni & cheese for the kids – or they could eat adult food). After dinner, the kids made s’mores by the fire, then one of the guides from the Denali Ed center and an ABD guide took them down to the small beach area by the river where they played games and amused themselves for awhile throwing rocks into the river and climbing around the rocks. The adults met them down there after our carrot cake dessert and after dinner chatter, and enjoyed the fresh Denali Air. Back to the hotel around 8:30. Still light until 10:30!
Shuttle busses run from the hotel down to other parts of Denali village and the Denali Visitor Center and you get a schedule with the keys upon check in (of course you are already checked in by ABD guides). We could have booked private tours from the hotel, or done some trips through the Park Service that leave from the Visitor Center. If you want to do any of the flights you should book ahead as far as possible. I think many in our group were hesitating due to the weather, then when they tried to book the following morning, many trips were full.
Day 3
Breakfast at our leisure at the hotel buffet style. Better selection than at Sophie Station, but more crowded with tour bus people when we went so they were starting to get low on things. Staff gets a little confused that ABD folks can have anything and don’t need a voucher as other groups apparently do. Left for Jet Boating at 9am. Rainy ride on the jet boat – about a ½ hour-45 minute trip down the Nenana river. Did see a moose but otherwise not much wildlife, mainly due to the weather and lack of visibility. Jet boats enclosed and warm – traveled about 40 mph. Then went to the trapper’s property where they had two reindeer caged, and showed us the original cabin built by his grandfather in the 40s (not much bigger than a tool shed). Had hot chocolate and some sugar cake inside a tent area while the trapper talked to us about trapping for a living and surviving in the interior during Alaska’s winters. Very interesting perspective on a lifestyle that is very foreign to most of us - subsistence living! Then over to a sheltered area where they had pans and troughs set up for us to “pan” for gold. A few flakes of gold in every pan. Then we were driven to the Murie Education center for bathroom breaks, lunch (pre ordered bag lunches – wrap sandwiches, chips, fruit & dessert) and then a short hike where they taught us about tracking wolves. Nice view at the top of the trail. The guide was very knowledgeable about other aspects of the environment and could answer any question we had. Kids enjoyed finding blueberries and cranberries along the way. Afterward, we had the rest of the day on our own. Some stayed in the Visitor Center area to take park sponsored tours (the dog sledding one was popular), some to hike, and others returned on the bus to pick up tours leaving from the hotel or to hang at the hotel. (See above for info about Denali area shuttle buses). My daughter was tired, so we hung out at the hotel, taking naps, doing laundry, checking email (WiFi in lobby area, not rooms), shopping in the gift shop and enjoying a relaxing dinner at the hotel. We had the chowder which was not so good, and the fish & chips, which was pretty good, and enjoyed the great view.
If I could change one thing about the itinerary, it would be to add a day to the trip in Denali. A 1/2 day of free time really isn't much to truly appreciate the park.

Day 4
Met at 7:30 this morning because today was a big travel day. Rainy, foggy and cold again, but guides were upbeat as always and it didn’t get us down. After an hour or so, we stopped at the Veteran’s Memorial for a bathroom break (outhouses) and returned to the bus for the rest of the movie. Traveled through the suburb of Wasilla, saw the lake where Sarah Palin has her home, and then into Alaska Sourdough company for lunch. Across the street is Alaska Wildberry where we had a short time to shop after lunch. Kids loved the chocolate fountain, the large chocolate bars and the gigantic stuffed bears. And we got to pet the reindeer outside (reindeer are domesticated caribou). Big gift shop here with lots of selection!
Then a shorter drive down to Girdwood to the Aleskya Resort, our home for the next 4 nights. A beautiful drive down the Turnagain Arm (named because Captain Cook had to turn around due to the flats and shallow water). We stopped at Bird Point for some photos and a break, then arrived at the hotel around 4pm. Very nice hotel – we had a great view of the mountain and the tramway to the top. (Tramway is $18 pp so we didn’t take it). That evening was Junior Adventurer night, so the kids had dinner with the guides and played games outside and inside. A much needed ACTIVE break for the kids. Adults had two hours of peace and we enjoyed a nice dinner on ABD in the hotel Aurora restaurant. Afterwards, many of the kids and some of the adults checked out the hotel pool and hot tub. There is also a dry sauna there, as well as a spa.

Day 5
Our big day! Started at 8:30 after breakfast at the hotel – buffet style, but definitely the best food and widest choices, including an omlette bar, of the hotels so far. Another rainy morning for us, so we were concerned about the boat trip but headed down in the bus to Seward. Arrived 10ish, and boarded the catamaran boat Aialik Voyager. ABD boards first and the captain tells us about the land and area we are going to see. We were given our box lunches (choice of 4) then stake out our seats, because the boat holds 150 people, and they soon arrived. There is a lot of outside space too, so once we got going, most folks are in and out, and upstairs and downstairs, so it doesn’t feel too cramped. We left a little before noon (delayed a little as the boat awaited the train passengers), and many ABD folks ate their lunch before we left the dock. The first part of the trip is fairly smooth, and right away, we saw a sea otter playing in the bay. The weather improved greatly (finally, the SUN!) and we ended up seeing sea lions, seals, puffins, bald eagles and yes, WHALES! Got up close and personal to Hogate Glacier as well, and spent a little while there hoping to see it calve, but only saw small chunks of ice break away. It was really beautiful scenery every where. The guides worked with the Junior Adventures while on the boat to help them earn their Jr. Ranger badge as we were in Kenai National Park. After the boat ride, Rae took the 4 of them that worked on completing their book to the ranger station where they finished their workbooks with the ranger, said their pledge and got their pins. Some of the trip was a bit rough, so I was glad I had taken my Meclazine – it definitely works for me without making me sleepy (there were many folks napping on the boat – my guess is that they were the ones who took regular Dramamine!) I don’t think anyone in our group got sick.

We arrived back to the dock around 5:30 and took the bus over to the Alaska SeaLife Center just a mile away. This was built after the Exxon Valdez fiasco and is not only a museum and research center but a protection/rehabilitation center. We were given our own private tour after the museum had closed and got to see the two types of puffins up close a touch tank. In the underwater viewing area, they had set up tables and we had a pizza dinner (4 choices of pizza & salad) from a local pizzeria. Afterwards, the kids decorated starfish cookies for dessert and we all made little clay puffins. Everyone had fun with that. We had some free time to look around the museum and they even left the gift shop open for our group, so of course, we took advantage of that! We left around 8:30, and back to the hotel a little after 10– had a movie on the bus that was the exact length of the trip – well planned! A fun day – great pictures!

Day 6
Today was a slower paced day, but lots of fun. The weather pattern we’ve come to expect continued – rain in the morning, but clearing in the late morning/early afternoon. Today we started at 9:00 and drove down to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, which was back on the Anchorage-Seward Highway, but only about 20 miles away. It is a wonderful organization that helps to rescue wildlife in trouble, such as orphaned young, care for and rehabilitate them, and return them to the wild if possible. We spent a couple of hours there and as always, had our own private guides. We all got to pet a porcupine! Nice gift shop there that the ABDers supported well. Saw a grizzly bear, moose, bison, muskox, elk, caribou, owls and a bald eagle.

Back to the hotel for a salmon bake lunch. I was disappointed that we couldn’t eat outside, although the weather had cleared enough by then that it would have been okay. Instead we were in a hotel ballroom area – I have seen more than enough of those boring environs in my day, but understand they were concerned about the weather. Food was good, although it seemed as if they hadn’t prepared quite enough for our group. They almost ran out of salmon and did run out of the blueberry tart dessert before I got to try a piece. They made a special piece of salmon for the guides, since they had run out, and Rae, being the wonderful person she is, gave me a bite and it was WAY better than the pre-cooked ones (partly because it wasn’t cooked as much as the groups'). It was silver (coho) salmon. Overall, a yummy lunch.

In the afternoon, Rae took anyone who wanted to go on a hike – this was separate from the normal Disney itinerary, although IMHO, they should add it! Bus took us to Portage Glacier area, and we walked back (very pretty and easy walk) about 20 min to the glacier (I think this glacier was actually Byron Glacier). We all had a blast climbing around the snow and having a snowball fights. I bet my daughter would say it’s the best part of the trip. You don’t get to walk on a glacier every day! It was a beautiful area and I was SO glad we did it! The kids really needed some free play time. We stopped at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center there and it was very well done – I’d recommend going in to see the exhibits. Disney picked up the entrance fee for the exhibit area of the Visitor Center.

Dinner was on our own – my daughter and I took the hotel shuttle (although it’s not a bad walk) and went to Jack Spratt’s with two other families and had a very nice dinner. An eclectic menu – burgers, pasta, and salmon & halibut too – in case you haven’t had your fill yet. And a kids menu! I recommend it. Afterwards, more pool time and collapsing in the comfy beds after another fun day in Alaska!

:goodvibes Great report so far. I might take this tour sometime. I am thinking of a cruise tour first then another year taking the abd tour.

Wow! Thanks for all the info so far. I'm getting really excited for my trip now! Really looking forward, also, to your description of your day in Anchorage!

Sayhello

I forgot to say that like gayleaboone, we had no problem with mosquitoes. We were told there was a midsummer frost that killed many of them. I don't know if the same will be true in two weeks, but we definitely have more mosquitos in my backyard here in NC than we saw on the trip. Never used the bug spray I brought, and the guides have some if needed.

I forgot to say that like gayleaboone, we had no problem with mosquitoes. We were told there was a midsummer frost that killed many of them. I don't know if the same will be true in two weeks, but we definitely have more mosquitos in my backyard here in NC than we saw on the trip. Never used the bug spray I brought, and the guides have some if needed.

Same here. The only time we saw any mosquitos was at the Aleyaska when we were waiting for the shuttle to take us down to Girdword. Our mosqutios at home are smaller, but much, much more numerous.

Day 7
My daughter was thrilled that we weren’t departing until 10:30 this morning, so we enjoyed another breakfast at the hotel and had some time to walk around the grounds. Some of our group got up early and did a long hike along the Winner Trail behind the hotel. Had to miss it so my Sleeping Beauty could sleep in. We were told to eat breakfast late because lunch wouldn’t be served until 2ish.
We drove the short distance down to the Girdwood Train stop for the Alaska Railroad. We boarded the train at 11:15 and were happy that our group was assigned seats upstairs. The train was nice – seats with tables separating us, nice bathrooms, and a snack bar area (of course, the ABD guides brought along our snack stash ). We headed down along the Turnagain Arm towards Whittier – much the same scenery we have already seen on our drive to Seward, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, and Portage Glacier, but that’s okay as it is beautiful and the weather is nicer than it’s been before. It’s a slow train ride as the train makes multiple stops and we re-trace our route coming back to the drop off point for the raft ride. A representative from the rafting company comes on the train at one stop and we are given boots for the raft trip. We arrive around 2 and are bussed down to the put-in point for the raft trip. A lovely spot on the glacier made lake with a great view of Spencer glacier and the icebergs that have calved off. Lunch is set up quickly by the rafting company, and we all make our own sandwiches. There are other non-ABD folks from the train who are doing the raft trip as well, so they are having the lunch too. After lunch, we get lifejackets and ponchos to add to our fashionable boot attire. The ponchos were nice to keep over our laps on the raft, as there was one time when the very cold water splashed into the raft, so it kept our legs protected from getting wet. Our raft guide took us (we didn’t paddle) around the icebergs in the water in the lake, allowed us to touch the iceberg and grabbed a piece of ice from it – it was the clearest ice I’ve ever seen. It is COLD around those icebergs, for sure! We then headed down the Placer River, where there were occasional mild rapids. We saw a moose in the distance, and our guide told us more about the glacier and environment. This is a float trip vs. a white water rafting trip though, and it was a peaceful and scenic ride (except for the singing coming from the kids in our boat!). The ride lasted around 1 ½ hour, I believe, then we got back on the train at the put-in point down river. Train returned us to the next station where the bus picked us up to take us back to the hotel arriving around 5:30 or so.
Farewell dinner that night at the hotel in a nice room looking out over the pond and mountain at the hotel. A nice buffet dinner with some local specialties and wine and beer. Native Alaskans from the Native Heritage Center dance for our entertainment and we all bid each other a sad farewell.

Day 8
ABD had two buses to take folks to Anchorage Airport – I think the earliest is based on people’s flight departure times. One family had a very early departure so ABD arranged for private transportation prior to the first bus. It is about a 45 min-1hour trip back to the airport or downtown. If you have a later flight and don’t want to go to the airport, the bus will drop you off at the Anchorage Marriott (downtown), who will store your bags while you do other activities, which we chose because our flight didn’t leave until 7:30pm. They offered a 9 am and noon departure – we chose the latter. That gave us time in the morning to take the trails around the hotel, which we hadn’t had time to do, but are lovely. My dd also had to check out the game room, and while she was playing foosball, and I was sitting on the floor with my laptop, the building began to shake! It shook for over ½ a minute, and I kept thinking it felt like an earthquake, but that surely I’d hear people outside in the hallways getting excited if it were, so I figured it must be the vibration from the tram arriving. But no, it really was a 5.0 earthquake! This added to our Alaska excitement!
We arrived in Anchorage about 1pm. The Marriott downtown will store your luggage, but then you are responsible for getting to the airport. It was approx $20 incl tip, not incl the tip to the bellhops for the luggage and hailing a taxi. Downtown Anchorage has quite a few souvenir shops and some more upscale arts/crafts shops with goods made by Alaskan artists. So if you haven’t bought all your souvenirs/gifts for the folks back home, this is your opportunity! We walked the couple of blocks to the Visitor Center (the ABD guides had provided us with downtown Anchorage maps), inquired about a bike shop, then picked up some yummy sandwiches from Cafe 817 on 6th Ave., and rented bikes next to the Copper Whale Inn at the end of 5th Ave. Lots of restaurant opportunities in the area. We picked up the Tony Knowles trail - a protected biking/walking path and was a perfect bike ride for a pretty day. Occasional stopping points with signage/park benches , and I hear that at times you can see whales in the distance. We didn’t see any, but really enjoyed the bike ride along the nice, flat trail with beautiful views. After our bike ride, we checked out the visitor center and some of the shops, before heading back to the Marriott to get our bags and get a taxi to the airport. I think gayleaboone’s post said that a bus will take you to the Native Heritage Museum, which I would have liked to do, but not enough time. We arrived 2 hours ahead of time, which was more than enough time at that time of day.
If you take Delta, you are in the North Terminal and the restaurant options are VERY limited and crowded, so you might want to grab something before you leave Anchorage.

Homeward bound - we tearfully say goodbye to Alaska. Sit by the window on the plane if you can as the views coming into/going out of Anchorage (and Fairbanks) are awesome!
My reflections in a separate post.

:goodvibes Wow inspiring and awesome! Thanks for sharing the trip with us
I know the farewells are sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter