Alert to multiple ressie holders!

grumpyandbashful

DIS Veteran
I just called CRO to change the room type of a ressie for December. I am holding ressies at 2 resorts until a final decision is made. The CM told me "you have 2 rooms reserved" and told me it is against policy now to hold more than one ressie at a time - "everyone is doing this and then cancelling one last minute and holding rooms so that others can't have them". She put me on hold for several minutes, then when she came back on, she told me she had to speak with her supervisor, and that they would let me hold the 2 ressies, but that I would need to make a decision soon!!:eek: . She also told me that CRO was going to start cancelling multiple ressies when they are discovered. Her tone was rather harsh and unlike anything I've heard from CRO (usually the people I talk with are either very with it and friendly, or new and inexperienced, but friendly!).
Anyway, while on hold I decided to keep the YC and cancel the AKL reservation, since I decided we would rather be closer to Epcot at Christmastime. A little guilt involved, but at least I made my decision!:rolleyes: .
Just a warning that you might get a) denied, or b) a lecture if you try to book more than one resort at a time for the same trip.

Did you have a deposit on each of the rooms already. I don't see how they could cancel a room with a deposit on it!

Yes, I did have a deposit on each room. I am not sure what the policy would be. I'm of the impression that very soon they will not be allowing a 2nd ressie to be made (it shows up on the computer that you already have one for the same time).

I am just wondering... would it be okay if your party was split between two hotels to hold two reservations ?

I have two reservations with 2 deposits at 2 hotels I am going to be using both one ifs for my friend, How can they cancel it. I got the rooms for all of us. I think that they are right to limit the # of reservations so they can have a true reading of how full or empty a resort will be but what if you have two families traveling or you are taking more than one trip in 6 months? It doesn't seem right.

I've heard of others being told this also. I can't blame them. There are so many holding two ressies that by the time they decide it may be too late for others. Did you know what happens when you book a room with an AP rate and then decide later that you don't want that room? That room goes back into the system as a regular room and not available for an AP rate. Any room booked under a certain code or special rate will go back to a regular rate room if someone cancels it. I know that many may not agree with me but I'm glad they are doing something about multiple ressie holders. :D

It does seem that CRO's software has gotten some smarts added to it over the last year or so. In the past every call required me to tell them who I am, where I live, phones, everything.

This year they started to ask just for my last name and ZIP. They know me, they see my reservations. When AP rates came out for the fall I called to make a rez at POR. They saw and commented on my ASMo rez. I said it would probably be canceled.

Having the additional information has made them sloppy in a way... This trip includes two rooms and some friends travelling with us. After we speak for a few minutes the agent invariably calls me by the name of one of the friends accompanying us on this trip.... only reason I can come up with is alphabetical.

Holding two or three reservations for a few weeks while you firm up plans is one thing, holding them for months is another. I agree that CRO cannot begin to indescriminately cancel reservations, but based on my experience this year, they may begin refusing to book you in another resort for the same time period.

This will lead to the Katherine reservation, the Katy reservation, the Kate reservation, the Kathy reservation, etc... It's a business problem they need to solve. It's better than cancelation fees or demanding full payment further in advance.

Just thought I would add my support for this policy. The only problem I see with multiple ressies is that it uses up discounted rooms.

For example: Say at Poly there are 100 rooms set aside for the AP rate. Each time one is booked the number is reduced. If that room is then cancelled it is added back into to inventory at rack rate.

Yes, I was told the same thing by a very nice CM last year when I booked another ressie using a code. I didn't want to cancel my first ressie until I had the confirmation in my hand and saw all info was correct. She was okay about letting me keep both until then but she let me know they were cracking down on multiples. I really can't blame them for doing this. It's hard to know how many rooms are actually booked when we hold multiple ressies.

Let me get this straight. Let's say there were 100 rooms available for the Disney Club code last month, and another set of 100 rooms for the AP code. Does that mean that when we booked a room with the DC code (which came out a few weeks before the AP code), and then changed it when the AP codes came out, the DC code room couldn't be used by someone else ( who is a DC member)?

betterlatethannever, that is right. So even if someone only takes a day to make up their mind about which ressie they want, they will have already pulled one out of the system that would have been discounted. It makes no difference if you hold the room for 1 day or 3 months, it is still put back in the system under rack rate and therefore ruined for anyone else to have a chance at a good rate. I am happy they are going toput the one ressie policy in effect.:D

I understand the left hand, but I don't understand the right hand. What other hotels do not allow multiple reservations? I have reservations at 3 different hotels for our next trip. The cancelation policies range from 24 hours to 5 days for a full refund. Why is it any different with Disney? All I am saying is to turn it around and say "Radisson" or "Holiday Inn" when talking about Disney hotels.

As for the multiple reservations at different WDW hotels, I do not understand that either. Does that mean that I can not reserve 3 rooms for my family reunion? As stated before, what about friends and other family members rooms at different WDW hotels? This just doesn't seem right. (not mad, just confused)

I really do not understand the "once a room is reserved with XXX rate and the reservation is canceled, the room goes back to regular rate." I have heard/read this many times before, so I've always taken it as correct. But, in the past I have tried to get a room with my DC card and was unable to because there were not any more rooms available at that rate. But, low and behold a few weeks later I was able to get the room that I wanted with the DC rate. Where did that discounted room come from?

None of this is ment as flaming, I'm just really confused about policies.

I hate to open up a big can of worms, with everyone speculating what the policy is (I'm not sure myself!). I would assume that if, for instance, you need 3 rooms (at one or more resorts) for a family reunion, and intend to occupy and pay for all 3 rooms, there would not be a problem. The practice they (CRO) are trying to prevent is one family booking 2 or more resorts while making a final decision on where they want to stay. This is the first time I have been guilty of this practice - I booked both AKL and YC while trying to decide. I cancelled my AKL ressie today. Now that I know it takes a room out of the pool of AP-discounted rooms, I won't do this in the future!
Everyone may now hit me with a wet noodle.

When a ressie is made for multiple families that is under one person's name, they ask for the names of the occupants of each room. At least they did when I made a ressie for 3 AS rooms under my name. So, likely if multiple families are vacationing together they would be in the same resort. it is obvious that the person making the ressie isn't making a "back" up ressie. And if the families are staying in different resorts, they will have the names of the members of the parties which would signify that those are legit ressies. Although, I guess that would be a way around this policy.

So although this new policy doesn't eliminate multiple ressies for different resorts during the same time frame, it probably does deter it. As business gets increasingly tough at Disney, I'm sure they feel this is necessary to make accurate sales projections of resort business. I have to support that.

Originally posted by idontknow
All I am saying is to turn it around and say "Radisson" or "Holiday Inn" when talking about Disney hotels.

I believe those chains are franchised. Like McDonalds.....a different "owner" for each location.

I just booked a trip and got 5 rooms... They wanted to know who was staying in each room. Not just my name but the names of those using the other rooms. I didn't think anything of it till I read this thread. I think it's a good idea.

Same here, I booked four rooms and two campsites last Feb. and they did ask the names of everyone in each room. They said that I could still get the bill or I could give them one person out of each room's address and they would bill each room accordingly.

I also reserve 4 rooms for the same time period every year. I am always asked the names of occupants for each room.

I think it's a great idea to stop folks from holding reservations at 2, 3 or 4 resorts while they make up their mind.

Originally posted by idontknow
...I really do not understand the "once a room is reserved with XXX rate and the reservation is canceled, the room goes back to regular rate." I have heard/read this many times before, so I've always taken it as correct. But, in the past I have tried to get a room with my DC card and was unable to because there were not any more rooms available at that rate. But, low and behold a few weeks later I was able to get the room that I wanted with the DC rate. Where did that discounted room come from?...
Let me see if I can give you a general idea of what happens.

All Disney room discounts have quotas. That is there are only a certain number of rooms made available at any given discount (DC rates, AP, AAA, codes, etc). The number of rooms available at any given resort available for the discount is determined by the manager of the individual resort. It is based on projected occupancies. The lower the projected occupancy, the more discounted rooms are available. The higher the occupancy, the fewer (including no rooms at all for specific resorts) are available. This is why some discounts exclude certain resorts.

Once someone makes a discounted reservation with CRO/WDTC and puts a deposit on it, it is removed from the pool of available discounted rooms. If you should decide to cancel your discounted reservation after holding it for a while, that room goes back into the general pool of available rooms at rack rate.

Periodically, the resort managers review the ever-changing occupancy projections. If they see that bookings are still low and the discounted rooms are gone, they can and often do (but not automatically!) release more rooms to the available discounts. It is completely up to the resorts themselves as to whether or not to offer more discounted rooms. Once occupancy reaches certain levels (the norm is usually 75-80%) you will probably not see any further rooms released at discount.

I hope this quick tutorial helps some of you better understand what happens to the discounted rooms.

Disney has inflicted this on themselves in some ways... I make a rez at ASMo way early (seven, eight months out). So I KNOW I will have a place on property to rest my head.

DC Discounts come out. I move the rez to ASMu (because it seems Movies never has discounts). Finally they release the AP rates. Now I can get a deep discount at a moderate resort. I make that rez and consult with my group to find if the extra money is worth it (it was - I really like the shade available at the quiet pools in POR/AB).

Now I cancel the original rez at ASMu. If they would offer their best price first, I'd take it and stand pat. They can't do that. If they can get three people to take a rack rate room and not persue further discounts, my discounted, although now non-discounted because I've canceled, room can sit empty and Disney comes out even, maybe slightly ahead.

It's my hope that the enhancements in the reservation system will allow them to target repeat visitors more accurately. After a dozen trips I have never gotten a post card discount. I've heard that some get them after one visit.

We all want the same thing: to go to WDW a lot and do it as cheaply as possible. What would I do if I could not get any kind of discount? I'd still go, stay at the Movies and grump about the price a little bit.

The pricing of Disney rooms is almost as varied as the pricing of airfares... The airlines used to consistently reward early bookings, now they reward looking at the right websites at the right times ($118 RT available for three days, then it's gone again).

I'm always going to go, but I won't stop trying to save as much money as they will allow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter