All fellow Michiganders that have driven.

kimba18

Earning My Ears
How was your drive down? I am really debating on doing the driving thing. We flew last time which was our first time (10/00) . We plan on going in Oct again this year and trying to figure if the kids can handle the drive down or not. I have a (will be) 1,4 and 8 year old. We have a full size utility vehicle. At what point in the drive did you find it was getting tough? Did you make any stops overnight or just go strait through? What time of day did you leave? Thanks for your input.

We have driven in the past, it wasn't to bad. I usually go with my sister brother-in-law and nephew. The first time we went nephew was 4, we took a lot of things for him to do in the car. I think my sister and I were more restless than he was. I live in Clarkston exit 89 on I-75. We usually tried to leave about 6 or no later than 7 in the morning, and always tried to get to at least Atlanta. I will say flying is so much better, but driving isn't bad. I have always found that the drive back in worse. With the trauma of having to leave Disney and all. I think it would really depend on how your kids so in the car on a long ride. If you can take things to keep them occupied it shouldn't be that bad.

:smooth:

We are driving from Wisconsin first week in April, and overnighting in Atlanta. We'll probably leave at 4am to get to Atlanta at a reasonable time for check - in. On the way back, however, we will be stopping in Atlanta one night, and Kentucky one night. Hopefully all will be smooth.

We drove for the first time from MI last month. I also think that flying is better, but the drive wasn't too bad. We left our house in Southfield at 10:45 p.m., and drove straight through. We actually planned on stopping in GA, but felt pretty good at the time about just finishing the trip. We stopped for dinner, which took longer than we planned. We arrived at WDW at 8:00 p.m., feeling overly tired and wishing that we had stopped earlier. We plan on driving again in July, but will definitely stop for the night this time. Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for your input. Decisions! Decisions! Especially with Spirit Airlines cyber specials for 49-69 one way out of metro. I really dread the thought of hauling strollers, carseats and my daughters and husbands Taekwondo gear (not to mention what we might have to go through because of their gear) through an airport. On the other hand I really dread screaming kids in a car for 22-24 hours. We might just have to plan a stop on the way down. You cant be in a hurry anyways when you have infant and toddler children. What routes did you guys take on the way down?

:smooth:

I'd stick with the main highways in October. They would be the most ice-free in late fall. I75 is a good road nearly all the way down from Michigan (We'll be traveling through Indianapolis, Chattanooga, Atlanta). By the way, I have planned my entire route on MS Streets and Trips 2002. It's awesome, provides the most updated construction information online, GPS, etc. One can plug in rest stops, how much gas you'll use, etc. and where you'll likely be at any time in the trip. It also identifies where all the rest areas are, gas stations, restaurants (5000 along my route alone !) hotels, hospitals and police stations (not that you'll need one, but it's good to know). The software is about $15. Money well spent. Happy travels !

Thanks Northwoods. Do I find that software in the local office supply? Definitely sounds very cool.

My brother drove down with his wife and two children last year and loved the drive. I'm the type of person, that I like to just get on a plane and be there in a few hours. The drive to Metro can be about all the drive I can handle!!!!;) :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter