All Stars vs. Courtyard DTD

rhodgkie

Earning My Ears
Can I get some advice from people in the know? I have ressies for 12/4-12/9 at All Star Sports. Have been there a couple of times and think it is fine, but nothing to write home about. I see that they have extended the Courtyard by Marriot DTD special to early December dates. Because we are staying on Fri and Sat night, we can't get the best rate for the whole stay, but can for 3 nights. So the end result is that it about same price between the two. I just wondered what people's opinion is between the two. I know that the All Star rooms are small and sometimes noisy.

I would appreciate any input--for the same price, where would you stay?

Thanks

Randall

I have stayed at both, most recently at Courtyard about 3 weeks ago. Rooms at Courtyard (tower for sure) are very large and clean. Good views of DTD, EPCOT and MK fireworks if room faces them. Bus service is nearly on par with WDW, you have to get out and board in Parking lot but not really too much further away than WDW busses (no cover for rain/ sun). Several Hotel Plaza resorts share bus so it can get crowded but so too the AS buses. Biggest benefit over AS is the proximity to Downtown (walking) and several dining options. AS food courts are ok, Courtyard has similar but smaller set-up. Sit down/ buffet restaraunt is next door.
AS gives you a little more "Disney" but at $25.00 (or even $89.00) a night you will not be disapointed in Courtyard.

I have the exact opposite opinion. If you were going to save a boatload of money by staying at the Courtyard, I'd say do it. BUT ... it's the same price for you as staying at the All Stars. IMO Disney resorts, even the All Stars, have the off-site hotels beat "hands down". I have stayed at the All Stars and the DTD Hilton on the same trip and preferred the All Stars! The Disney atmosphere, the fantastic food court, the refillable mugs and the superior bus transportation makes the All Stars get my vote :).

BTW, I almost always stay off-site for part of my trip to save money.

I have stayed at the Best Western DTD and at the All Star Music.

In my opinion, the All Stars make for a much better experience. I think staying at a Disney resort is a much more fulfilling experience. At $25 a night the Marriott is tough to pass up. Given that the total for your stay would be about the same I'd go with the All Stars. Just feels more Disney to me.

I have stayed at both Courtyard and Allstars and I would pick AS. the rooms are smaller but you are right in the middle of Disney. To me the courtyard is nothing but an old Howard Johnson, just my 2 cents.:D

Hi!!! Tough choice! I've stayed at both and liked both.

What I woudl find out right NOW is whether or not you will be right in the middle of POP WARNER!!!! Don't they stay at ASSp in the begining of Dec? Does anybody have those dates?

In that case, I would opt for the Courtyard. Big rooms, lots of room amenties, restaurants, arcade, playground, hot tub, kiddie pool. Really nice, full service hotel.

If Pop Warner won't be there, then I would do AS.

Wow, thanks for all the great comment--although you have left me more indecisive than ever! Well, I asked for comments! Thanks. Don't know what we'll do yet. I'm leaning toward Courtyard just because it would be different.

You didn't say if you have kids or not. If you are travelling with kids, the AS Resorts were designed for them. Nothing but fast food there and if cafeteria style suits you AS might be the place. Early December with Pop Warner is not best time to be at AS Sports unless you are part of it. I would choose Music or Movies over Sports at that time.
It comes down to your personal preferences, fast food and Disney theme or a little more "upscale" and a wide choice of convenient dining and a hot tub (none at AS).
Since I travel to Orlando area 1-2 times a month I stay at Marriots during business trips. I find them consitent and a cut above other chains. I also stay 2-3 times a year at WDW resorts and find the Deluxe sites consitent and very comfortable. Mods and Value seem to be different each time and are most suceptable to reductions in staff and service.
If you have never stayed on site, try the AS but don't judge the experience as the WDW best effort.

Last year I was in the same place as you are right now. Courtyard had an unbeatable deal - same one - and I found it too good to pass up. I heard some good comments about it and thought Marriotts are really nice, so why not? We came out slightly ahead of where we would have been had we stayed at Riverside. I still regret that decision.

The Marriott is just OK -I'll never stay there again even if it were priced less than the $25 we paid. I haven't stayed at the All Stars but it has to be better than the Marriott. I think it depends on your preferences. If you aren't going to be in your room a whole lot, the Marriott might do it for you. I found the rooms to need renovations- pretty dreary and not to the level of a regular Marriott - one of our rooms overlooked the highway, so not a nice view either. The pool was ok but just a pool. The food service was slow and overpriced. We ordered chicken soup and a burger and it took about 45 minutes to get it. The soup was Campbell's soup! I expect high prices at a food court, but also expect to get the food right away.

I have tried staying at DD hotels two times now and will never do it again! If I wanted to save some money, I'd only stay there for the $25 nights and transfer over to the All Stars afterwards. I love staying at Disney hotels - the landscaping, theming, service, etc. is truly part of the overall Disney experience. Just my opinion.

I have stayed at both and can offer an opinion. Go for the sports. The busses are better, pool nicer and cleaner, Disney experience on the whole much. much better.

Had many problems with Courtyard. Rooms are bigger and the buffet breakfast yummy but those are the only positive comments. Terrible front staff. Encountered many problems. Had reservations a year in advance, rooms not ready for 2 hours after check-in time. No compensation received even though we asked. No crib in room, as requested. When it finally came it was old and not safe with no bedding in it. When we would arrive back at hotel around 4PM to swim and then return later tot he parks, the beds would still not be made up! The pool area was dirty. NOT what I expected as a DTD Hotel. Had some laundry stolen. Our room was on a different floor and was the farthest from the machines as well. Was injured on property and was treated horribly by staff. Spent much time in emergency room and then treated badly on my return to the hotel. The staff all watched me hobble in on my newly-obtained crutches and didn't offer assitance. The entire bus experience was horrible. Too overpacked. People pushing and shoving, even though I had a baby in a carriage, and the bus driver justs sits and watches it all... with no intervention. The bus system didn't work well. It made lots of stops at other DTD Hotels as well. AK pick-up in poor location. was stranded there for too long with no bus.
The low price IS NOT WORTH ANY STAY THERE!! I was still treated poorly when I had to make follow-up calls as to my injury and insurance claims. Had to phone numerous times to even get ONE return call from their management. All settled now, but still leaves a bitter taste when I hear of Courtyard! UGH!! Transferred to DI for the remaider of my time in Disney ad GOT A FULL REFUND for the 4 nights we stayed at Marriott. NEVER EVER AGAIN!! It ruined our entire vacation and my birthday!
Go for the Sports!! The refillable mugs are a great value, as well as the food courts with lots of choices. The rooms are clean, staff efficient and pleasant. Themed pools are wonderful with nearby laundry facilities. You still get those cute Disney soaps and goodies there. Overall postive Disney Experience at the Value resorts.
Enjoy... Eileen
(just returned from 9 days (8/10-8/18) at the Swan.. talk about perfect!!)

We just got back from a stay at both ASMu and Courtyard DTD. I loved the Courtyard and would stay there again in a heartbeat! The rooms are large, great colors and we had great service. My daughter still laughs because I was excited they had feather pillows!! I had forgotten mine at home and didn't want to move to the ASMu and leave it behind! ;) We only rode the buses to DTD to try them out and then walked back. We will stay here again.

We also really like the ASMu as well. You are right in the magic of disney, the buses are always great, and the theming is fun. The rooms are smaller but we spend very little time in them. The pools are great. You can find quiet spots at the All Stars. My kids prefer these over the moderates.

Have stayed at ASMu and the Courtyard ($20). The reason you are hearing different reports about the Courtyard is that some people get the nice rooms and others get stuck in the yukky areas. We had connecting rooms in the old, drab, nasty section! Even though we saved quite a bit of money my DH said it made for the most depressing of room stays that we've had. The problem is, you really don't have much say over which rooms you get. We requested an area that seemed to get better reviews but they gave us the feeling "you get what you get" and that's what we got!
Also, the elevator was a scary adventure each time and the back door leading to the parking lot never really closed and we saw many people coming in the the room section of our building without ever using a room key to open the "security" door.
What I love is when other folks come back with their rave reviews and say that the people saying that it isn't so great are nuts. Can they not figure out that MAYBE we had totally different experiences?
My point is that it's a gamble--one that we wish we hadn't made.
The All Stars are just about guaranteed to be cheerful and clean.

"The All Stars are just about guaranteed to be cheerful and clean." posted by Belle5
Split a stay last December at AS Movies and AKL. Pop Warner was going on and maybe AS was overburdened. (Not limited to AS Sports, overfllow was to other AS) Several incidents- first and worst was a backed up toilet upon entering room. Second and only less severe due to December weather was a faulty ac unit. Movies was still relatively new, maybe experiencing stat-up issues. (We were moved form 101 Dalmations area to Herbie) Third Pop Warner kids lacked supervision and were quite annoying later at night with extreme running, noise ect...
The point is there are no guarantees, WDW experiences similar problems to other chains, especially at there low end properties.

I've stayed at all the All Stars and at Courtyard last December. If they're the same price - go with All Stars. Much more Disney and the food court is a whole lot better and more convenient then the little food stand they had at Courtyard. We didn't use the busses because I've heard to many bad things about the DTD bus service. We were just there for MVMCP and a day at MGM so it wasn't a big deal. The only way I would stay there for my actual full vacation would be if it was significantly cheaper then AS.

I've never had a bad experience at AS - any of them. I'm very sensitive to noise and light, but as long as I keep the A/C running all night to give me "white" noise - I've never been disturbed by other guests. Disney resorts are the only one's I'd stay at with outside doors because I haven't had a problem there. I've never been there during these Pop Warner events others talk about though!

To me a lot depends on what you want to do. My wife and I took a short trip a couple of years ago where we were only doing 2 park days and 3 of primarily DD (she loves to shop). The convenience to DD was great, and we had a nice view from our balcony on the top floor. I found the buses to be very inconvenient from the DD hotels, so we used our car mostly. The room was large - but very vanilla. We never used the pool, as it seemed somewhat small and a little too crowded for our tastes (but not dirty). I would only go back if we were planning another similar trip where we wanted to spend a lot of time at DD and PI.

On another note, we stayed a nite in May at the Hotel Royal Plaza due to a last minute flight change, and thought it was a very nice hotel. I don't know the price difference, but I was much more impressed with it than the Courtyard as far as room/pool/food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter