Allergen Question?

neverlandsky

DIS Veteran
If a restaurant specifically doesn't have a dedicated allergen menu, I'm assuming it's not safe? The allergen I have to avoid is sesame. There are quite a few TS/QS restaurants without allergen dedicated menus. I navigate my allergy by avoiding granola/baked goods/bread/buns/Asian & Mediterranean cuisine, etc. Any suggestions of good allergen safe restaurants that aren't character or buffet?

I have family members who can’t have dairy and certain spices and have to severely limit salt and can eat at almost any TS including buffets. When making an ADR we select dairy and other so they know when we check in there is an allergy and the water or waitress will grab a chef to talk about what can be prepared. They do a great job.

so long as the restaurant is disney owned you will be fine! That means everything other than most in the Springs, almost all of the EPCOT ones and the rainforest Cafe in AK. You should actually ignore the allergy menus unless you are dealing with 1 item that's under the top 8-ish. Ask to speak to a chef at sit down locations, look for a head cast member in quick service (they will be wandering holding an iPad) and tell them you have food allergies. Every single cart has a binder with ingredients that you can look at as well. Straight up avoid any festival booths since everything is prepared in a central kitchen so you have zero idea about cross contamination.

they can handle this massive list of mine so you will be fine. Just be aware that meals might take a little longer to prepare. My favourites the last trip were, Trattoria, Brown Derby, Grand floridian Cafe and the food court at French Quarter.
Screenshot_20240417_220615_Chrome.jpg

Stick with Disney owned restaurants and don't be afraid to speak with the chef for a complicated allergy or food issue. We have a child with a food allergy and every Disney restaurant has been safe for us. We even recently took a family member who is immunosuppressed and has a lot of restrictions and the chef came to our table to suggest safe meals for that person.

No better place than Disney for allergies. We go by the allergy menus and feel very confident. We used to speak to chefs who were all great but now mostly just go with the specific allergy safe menu.

so long as the restaurant is disney owned you will be fine! That means everything other than most in the Springs, almost all of the EPCOT ones and the rainforest Cafe in AK. You should actually ignore the allergy menus unless you are dealing with 1 item that's under the top 8-ish. Ask to speak to a chef at sit down locations, look for a head cast member in quick service (they will be wandering holding an iPad) and tell them you have food allergies. Every single cart has a binder with ingredients that you can look at as well. Straight up avoid any festival booths since everything is prepared in a central kitchen so you have zero idea about cross contamination.

they can handle this massive list of mine so you will be fine. Just be aware that meals might take a little longer to prepare. My favourites the last trip were, Trattoria, Brown Derby, Grand floridian Cafe and the food court at French Quarter.
View attachment 859843
I absolutely second the idea of avoiding festival booths. DH ate a couple of items listed as gluten-friendly at F&W last fall and had a definite reaction (annoying but not dangerous). We noticed that the "passport" for Flower and Garden outdoor kitchens this spring doesn't identify gluten-friendly items, so I'm guessing cross-contamination has been a problem for others as well.

As others have said, with a not-top-8 allergy such as sesame, you'll need to speak with a chef. But it should be manageable - it'll just take a little longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter