Allergies and gastrointestinal disorders

leebee

DIS Veteran
I know this isn't a true disability, but you guys seem to have the best info on getting Disney to assist with special requests/needs to make vacation go smoothly. Staying at POFQ. Due to DD's medical situation, we have requested non-smoking room with a medical fridge. She has severe allergies that trigger asthma-like response (they say it's *not* real asthma, although the folks in the ER sure react as though it is!). Non-smoking areas are a god-send, but hotel rooms can be a challenge. Fridge is required due to meal replacements/pharmaceutical support that needs to be resuspended in quart sized container and then refrigerated. Will the medical fridge hold a quart-sized container, or is it truly a mini-fridge? We have requested non-smoking room, but should I contact someone regarding non-smoking building? What about the pillows- are they down/feather or foam? I guess my real question is, how closely will my "room requests" (NS room/bldg, med. fridge) be followed? I know they say they try to make fill all requests, but is there someone I should contact to make sure they know these things are medically necessary and not just the whim of a vacationer? Usually we stay off-site at Marriott Vacation Clubs, so I know what to expect. Thanks!

If you have made them as requests they most probably will be honored. If you have gone through special needs they will be honored. My advise is to contact Special Needs so it is noted that these requests are a medical necessity.

adding on to Talking Hands' advice, emphasizing Medical Reasons with the CMs is most likely to guarantee that your needs are met.

the people at special requests are wonderful and i highly recommend that you work through them for your reservation. tell them the size of your container and they'll make sure the right size fridge is in your room.

i think this is their number: 1-407-939-7807 ext. 1

also, they do something called a "VIP clean" on a room if it is needed. they'll be sure to clean everything (drapes, walls, etc.) if you explain that it's needed. This includes making sure that you have freshly laundered blankets and bedspreads, which are not usually laundered between guests.

someone from special requests once told me that they cleaned an entire guest room with nothing but vinegar and water because that's all that the guest could tolerate. disney's wonderful!

enjoy your trip

dj

Hi-
I also agree that Special Requests is the way to make sure your medical needs are met. The fridge that they provided in the past would be large enough for a quart-sized container to stand upright. I have used it in the past for some liquid nourishment (Elecare & the like) and it worked just fine. I have EG (eosinophilic gastroenteritis) and the cast members at WDW were terrific to work with.

If she has food allergies you might also want to work with the restaurant staff, they are nothing but accomodating!

Hope this helps!
Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter