• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet vs Duke's Marketplace or similar places?

ksromack

DIS Veteran
So trying to pin down a basic itinerary....I wanted to visit Pearl Harbor on a Wednesday to combine that visit with a visit to the swap meet but I'm afraid things will be winding down at the swap meet by the time we arrive which would be after noon. I saw there was a similar, albeit much smaller flea market of sorts in Waikiki called Duke's Marketplace. This would work with our schedule the weekend after Pearl Harbor. Would we be missing a considerably better event by skipping the swap meet? I was thinking it would be a great place for cheapish souvenirs. Has anyone been to both or is there another similar venue and how do all of these compare to each other. I'm wondering about the $$ at each as well. TIA!

They are really both selling cheap mass produced stuff from China. Walmart sells the same stuff plus ABC stores as well. No need to go to either the swap meet or Dukes laneway unless you are in the area and bored IMO.

It really depends on what you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for a coconut bra, shell encrusted turtle figurine, or the type of aloha attire you’d only see in a cheesy movie, Duke’s Lane will be a good substitute. (And for the record, I love cheesy, tacky, hokey souvenirs!)

The swap meet will have all of the above, but you’ll find higher quality, artisan goods as well. For example, locally made honey, jams, baked goods, Tahitian pearl jewelry, hand-painted wood signs, etc. You’ll also find imported goods such as T-shirts, bags, etc.

The majority of goods at both markets are imported from the Philippines, China, and other parts of Southeast Asia. Kukui nut leis, most “Hawaiian” quilts (even the “handquilted”ones), and shells are being imported from the Philippines. Nothing wrong with that. Just know that you’re Hawaiian souvenirs may not be that Hawaiian after all.

Many of the big swap meet vendors have showrooms that are open to the public Monday-Friday and the showroom prices can be better than swap meet prices. Just don’t expect any help/service. The majority of the showrooms are in Kalihi, the neighborhood just east of the airport. A & B imports is a good place to start, just call and double check to see if they have minimum quantities before driving down. Also, google “hula store Oahu” for a list of stores that might offer some

I have been to the swap meet numerous times and eaten at Dukes. Where is this Duke's Lane/Marketplace?

I enjoyed the swap meet, but if it doesn’t fit your schedule, as PP said, the ABC stores really have a good selection of reasonably priced stuff.

Thanks for the responses. We were only going to check out the swap meet for cheap souvenirs....but, is it inside the Aloha Stadium or is it outside of the stadium? Is there a way to get a tour of the stadium in either case? I think dh would maybe be interested in that aspect of it but still working through the logistics of even getting out there given our schedule.

I enjoyed the swap meet, but if it doesn’t fit your schedule, as PP said, the ABC stores really have a good selection of reasonably priced stuff.

Swap meet is in the parking lot, but the stadium gift shop is open too. We went in for some UH gear and we asked if we could see inside the stadium so they gave us a brief tour :)

Swap meet is in the parking lot, but the stadium gift shop is open too. We went in for some UH gear and we asked if we could see inside the stadium so they gave us a brief tour :)
We found most everywhere in Hawaii, even in the city, it was very much a small-town atmosphere. Most everyone was super friendly (“neighborly” LOL). We live in a rural area, so it was like home...but plopped down in paradise ❤️

The Swap Meet was a one and done for us. As PP mentions, all of the same items could be found at any ABC Store across the island. Sure things are cheap there, but a lot of it is junk and IMO, it wasn't worth going out of the way for. If you decide to go, we arrived around 11ish and stayed until 1pm (we were part of a bus tour that was dropped off there) and all of the booths were still open and going. Didn't see anyone winding it down yet. It was also very warm walking around there with few places to stop for a break.

We have never been to Dukes but have done the swap meet works well for us and we enjoy it. If you go to the web site i think it mentions that you can do a stadium tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter