Altzheimer's?

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
A family member has recently been diagonsed with ALTZ and we are trying to pull off one more trip with them to Disney. Their patience level is very quickly diminishing and I was reading here about the GAC.

Would it be possible to get a GAC for someone with this condition?

Early mornings are usually better but after that they are prone to out bursts that would not be expected. Their patience level diminishes as the day progresses. :guilty:

I am not sure if there is anything in writting from the doctor to show to Disney. I am traveling in by plane from another state and this family member is being driven in by a relative. If I take this person with me to the desk would that be enough to get a GAC?

Welcome to disABILITIES.
You can go with the person to Guest Services in any of the parks. Explain that Alheimers has been diagnosed and the difficlties he/she will have with waiting in the lines.
The GAC says right on it that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate your wait in lines. What it will often do is give a quieter, less stressful place to wait. You don't need a doctor's letter to get a GAC (although for "invisible disabilities", it does help people to feel more confident asking for a GAC).

Even if the person has no problems with walking, you may want to rent a wheelchair. Besides mobility, it also provides a "safe haven" for someone who might have some difficulty with the crowds and closeness of people. It also helps you to keep "track of" the person better (and avoid them wandering off) and helps you to remove them from a situation if an outburst occurs.

Thanks for the information. I will go and see if we can get a GAC when we get there. It would sure make me more comfortable since these days we never know what they are going to say or how they are going to react to anything.

At this point the only advice the doctors seem to have is use every distraction technique we can come up with when bad situations occur. It gets exhausting and difficult at times. :sad2:

I never thoght about losing track of them in a line but that could certainly happen in line or any where in the park for that matter. I guess we will have to get some kind of ID on their body just in case we get separated.

We have a wheel chair on order since we do not think a scooter is a wise choice.

I just pray we have a great vacation and that the ugliness that can be altzheimers stays buried for a few days. :)

Twende said:
I never thoght about losing track of them in a line but that could certainly happen in line or any where in the park for that matter. I guess we will have to get some kind of ID on their body just in case we get separated.
Yes. ID is a good idea and also if you have a cell phone with you, having the number on their ID is a good idea. Probably also something with your resort contact info.
Another hint someone posted once was to use a "buddy" system so that everyone in your party is aware of who is the "buddy" of the person with a disability.

Thanks again Sue, I guess you can tell we are new at this.

We are one of the few people in the universe who have not gone to cell phones yet! :rotfl: But adding the resort information to an ID card is a good idea.

We are staying at the CR so for at least two of the parks we can use the monorail and go back to CR for an afternoon naps. Naps really seem to help the confusion level. The biggest help seems to be keeping things familiar and we have stayed as a family many times at the CR. We are just going to do what ever we can do and make the best of it all! :cool1:

Thanks again for all your ideas. :earsgirl:

Twende said:
We have a wheel chair on order since we do not think a scooter is a wise choice.
Make sure you get a "transporter" type chair rather than a regular wheelchair. You will have to get this from an off-site location. This will have four wheels about 6 to 8 inches each. It must be pushed and the person in it cannot drive it himself. This helps to prevent the person in it from managing to get lost.

I'd like to offer this advice...........

Please be prepared that just going away from home and being in strange surroundings may prove to be too much "overload" for your family member. When my mom was first diagnosed (early stages) I took us on a "vacation" back home to Ohio. The purpose was a possible "final" visit with some family and visiting my dad's grave. We really took things easy and made simple plans with lots of down time. It was still more than mom could handle. She was very argumentative, moody, and had lots of tears..........cause it just wasn't home. We stayed in a very quiet two room suite.

Only you know your family member and how far along the disease is and what he/she can handle.

Just my opinion.........but I NEVER would have taken my mom to WDW because *I* would not be able to handle her sensory overload. This disease is extremely hard on the caregivers.

Linda, thanks for responding! :)

I am very worried about a number of the things you mentioned. I have no idea how any of this is going to go. There is just no predicting and things seem to change so rapidly.

I just don't know how much I will be able to handle either. Just three weeks ago I spent 3 weeks with this family member and I was not out of their sight in day time hours, for more than a 15 minute shower then entire time! It was so hard!

We are trying to stay flexible and not really expecting too much but we are hopeful. :flower: We are aware that we may get one night or we may last for 4. :confused3 Either way DH and I will have two nights and 3 days to our sleves to just unwind and relax.

In the past Disney has been a wonderful memory place and right now things in the past are very clear and comfortable. But you are right that this could change at any second.

I am already rehearsing distraction techniques in my mind. Simple things like blowing a few bubbles seems to bring great joy so I am packing a tube of bubble juice. :blush: I pray that I can stay strong and patient and find ways to make this a great vaaction for everyone!

Thanks again and I am sorry that you had to experience first hand, the trial of Altzheimers. This is the second time we have dealt with this but the first time was a grandparent and we had to seek outside help sooner due to physical problems and the care that these problems required. I just don't know how long we will all last without seeking care this time. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter