Am I crazy? Would you try this?

Since so many people say a 3-night cruise feels like turn-around and it’s over, it’s seems like a very rushed add-on. Which then requires another flight home.

Ever been to San Francisco or Monterrey? Someplace you could catch a morning flight and have a new adventure for a few days? Portland?

Don’t want to throw cold water on your dreams.

Last edited:
Hi ruadisneyfan2,

After reviewing the responses in your thread, it seems the majority lean towards caution with your adventurous plan. Here's a quick summary so far:

- **Yes**: 2 people are on board with your idea, enjoying the spirit of adventure.
- **No**: 14 participants feel it might be too risky or stressful, preferring a more relaxed approach.
- **Maybe/Conditional**: 3 people are open to the idea but suggest discussing it further or considering the risks.
- **Advises Caution**: 1 person didn't give a direct yes or no but advised careful consideration.

Your plan has sparked quite a bit of discussion! Whatever you decide, I hope your anniversary is special and memorable. 🥂 ♥️

~Toodles

After all that stress and time change are you going to be able to enjoy the next 24 hours of your cruise,?
Traffic and renting cars are not always that simple around Miami. Concerts can start late, planes delayed, And again don't forget about all the time changes from start to finish.
Too much for me to even enjoy planning a trip like that. And I really enjoy planning.
Good luck.

Hi ruadisneyfan2,

After reviewing the responses in your thread, it seems the majority lean towards caution with your adventurous plan. Here's a quick summary so far:

- **Yes**: 2 people are on board with your idea, enjoying the spirit of adventure.
- **No**: 14 participants feel it might be too risky or stressful, preferring a more relaxed approach.
- **Maybe/Conditional**: 3 people are open to the idea but suggest discussing it further or considering the risks.
- **Advises Caution**: 1 person didn't give a direct yes or no but advised careful consideration.

Your plan has sparked quite a bit of discussion! Whatever you decide, I hope your anniversary is special and memorable. 🥂 ♥️

~Toodles
I love how you summed up the responses. It also makes me realize I’m definitely in the minority lol. Funny, but reading other responses makes me even more YES! If you have the means and the time— especially after reading how the OP took that DCL 2 night to nowhere in NYC and the flights to Orlando for a one night stay. Wow. Life is for the living. I think the tightest thing we’ve ever done was drive from Texas to Orlando for a one night stay because we found out last minute our favorite Disney artist was doing a signing— we then caught a flight to NYC the next morning at 6 am (after arriving home at 2 am). Dh says he never would have done anything in his life besides work and watch tv if not for me. He’s the kind of person who prefers to get to the airport 4 hours early. Lol. Sometimes he’s like what? He rolls his eyes at me often, but he loves the crazy.

I found flights to MCO for $29 each way with early Sat am departure and evening return on Sunday. Our kids spent the weekend with my parents. He said it was nuts to only go for 1 night until we got to the pool with the waterfall. Then he said it was the greatest idea ever.

He said again I was crazy when the Magic first sailed from NYC. They had 2 night cruises to no where, Fri-Sun. He opted out but ds23, then 12, wanted to come. It was a short train ride to NY then taxi to port, very stress free.
We have great memories of sailing past the Statue of Liberty with seemingly the ENTIRE ship all on the starboard side :eek: taking pics and so many people on land taking pics of our beautiful ship. I was able to book a placeholder for Alaska.
Legend

I’ve been to 8-10 times in my life. I have personally experienced two hour long waits for a cab at the airport (3 times) and three hour long lines for TSA. They stopped the escalators bc the line for TSA snaked so far back ppl were standing on the escalator. I heard this wasn’t unusual for LAS. It HAS been about 7 yrs since I was there last. Maybe they’ve improved things.

I was at a Paul McCartney concert once that started 2 hours late because Sir Paul’s plane was very late coming in to Boston.

Stuff happens, esp in Vegas, that can cause massive delays. I wouldn’t do it.

The overwhelming majority of people traveling on any given cruise ship arrive the day of the cruise. So, in that sense, it's not "crazy at all." That said... a few years ago, we took a cruise from Rome to Miami. We planned our trip to stay in London for a few days, arriving in Rome the morning on the cruise. After booking the trip, I sought out reassurance for our plans on a popular Internet travel board. Instead, I read post after post criticizing us, as immigration lines in Rome stretched for hours the time of day we were traveling and there was little hope of reaching the port (which is quite a ways away) in time. I became so stressed I had trouble sleeping and absolutely could not enjoy our time in London as I was so stressed about making the cruise. (I did not share this with my family as they had their hearts set on London and cost was now a concern).

The day of our embarkation, our flight from London was delayed by 45 minutes. I nearly soiled myself on the flight, knowing that we would likely not make our cruise. Then when we arrived at Rome, the "hours long" immigration line literally had no wait and we wound up at the port several hours before embarkation (which is super early for us). Did we get lucky? Hardly, an ex-pat said there was rarely more than a minutes long wait at the immigration lanes (that time of day).

My point? Nothing wrong with your plans, but if you're that stressed over it, it's going to impede your overall enjoyment. IMO, I'd enjoy my time out West -- there's plenty to see and do out her. May not be your first visit, but it's not your first cruise either ;). Your proposal wastes a lot of time traveling. That said, I'm not a fan of 3-day cruises -- too short to enjoy, especially as people need a day or two to get acquainted with the ship (you may not need the time, but they will be clogging the elevators, etc.). Of course, the majority of DCL are 3/4-days, probably because they're so costly its the extent of most people's budget.

I love a three day cruise! A luxurious long weekend. But, for me, rushing to get there, or worrying about getting there, in time, not the way to begin. If you are not a worrier and love a sense of adventure, I would go for it. But I am worrier, planner-you might take that sense of adventure and find something really cool and surprising to do a bit closer to where you are based for the concert. You never know... Enjoy, whatever your decision may be.

You did ask if we would do this. 🤣. Not if you should go for it.

It’s not in the extra flying - it is in trying to get to a short, standard cruise (nothing unique) across the country when there are too many issues with plane travel the last few years. Seems almost a letdown after Garth Brooks.

You did ask if we would do this. 🤣. Not if you should go for it.

It’s not in the extra flying - it is in trying to get to a short, standard cruise (nothing unique) across the country when there are too many issues with plane travel the last few years. Seems almost a letdown after Garth Brooks.
It’s not entirely nothing unique. It stops at Lighthouse Point.

No one offered this suggestion, so what about a DCL cruise out of San Diego doing the Mexican Riviera? Not sure if a cruise coincides with your timeframe but at least it's closer to Vegas than PC or PE.

No one offered this suggestion, so what about a DCL cruise out of San Diego doing the Mexican Riviera? Not sure if a cruise coincides with your timeframe but at least it's closer to Vegas than PC or PE.

The Wonder leaves Hawaii on Oct 3 for a 16-night cruise to Sydney. It doesn’t quite fit into her days off.

The AA flight to MIA leaves at 1:20 AM. I think that extra 20 minutes means you should make the flight comfortably. Even if it was delayed I think it's pretty likely AA gets you there in time for the ship.

I'd do it if it was me, but I think the biggest factor is how stressful will you both find it. If worrying about it will wreck the concert for your spouse I wouldn't go.

I’d go for it! As long as you have insurance in case you miss the cruise why not! Sounds like a great trip to maximize vacation days.

I would not. Instead of being able to enjoy the buzz of the concert afterward, it flips right into stressful travel, pinching value out of both the show and the cruise. That first day is likely to feel off kilter even if you do manage some sleep.

OP here...
We just disembarked the Dream yesterday from a 5-night cruise. :cloud9: :sad1:
Compared to our WBPC in October, it still felt so short.
I decided to give back those extra 2 days of vacation time off (the Monday & Tuesday after the concert) and take a separate cruise vacation in either later October or November that is either 5-7 nts.

It's not so much the stress of having to run away from the concert to the airport; it's that it was going out of our way for only a 3-nt cruise. If it were a longer cruise, I would seriously be wanting to do it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts & ideas. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter