Am I missing something? Why private transportation?

Jsharp13

Mouseketeer
We are two adults (well, me and 14 year old son!).

In 2022 and 2023 when we flew to MCO and stayed on Disney property, we used taxis available at the stand.
I think one time I didn't get a great rate, but live and learn. I think I'll try Lyft this next trip.

know the Mears bus is a better deal, but we weren't interested in Mears because I want to get on our way to our resort as soon as we are able, and not wait for others to load. Also, don't really want to stop at other resorts. Also, clearly we have no need of car seats or anything like that.

Can someone please explain to me, what am I missing about all these private transportation companies?

Maybe these are larger groups of families, lots of luggage to carry from baggage, probably strollers and car seat issues, so perhaps the helping hands and pick up in luggage claim makes it worth it. But, is there something else I'm missing? Why doesn't everyone love private transportation? I think for us it would be double or perhaps triple what I'd pay for a Lyft.

I'm just curious if we are totally missing something amazing???

It can be very difficult to get an Uber with a single car seat. It's literally impossible (like it doesn't exist) to get an Uber with two car seats. You also can't get a single Uber that fits a large family.

So my family would be looking at two separate Ubers, each with a car seat, which would absolutely cost more than just booking a private van/SUV.

But we also don't mind taking the shared buses, so that's what we usually do. Our first choice is to rent a car but we don't mind the bus when rental car prices are insane.

I would absolutely just Uber if it were two adults (or an adult and child with no car seat needed).

Last edited:
We typically travel in a group of 10+ to Disney using family DVC points. We like to hire a private transportation company to accommodate all of us, our luggage plus a grocery stop.

When the Disney Magical Express was free, we would just ride that and ordered grocery delivery for our villas.

My hubby and I did an adults only trip in 2021 and booked a private transportation company for just the 2 of us. It was easier for me than trying to arrange a ride at the airport. I hate trying to do stuff on the fly while juggling luggage. I am not a light packer. =)

Not Orlando but I did a private transfer from LAX to Disneyland a few years ago that allowed for a stop at a nearby grocery store and that was worth it to me alone since I didn't have a rental car to buy groceries with.

Also I've seen people comment that they feel more comfortable with a private transfer vs. a ride share like Uber and Lyft and I can understand that perspective. While my rides in the central Florida area have been nothing but mundane, I can't say the same for other areas.

Personally I would not use something like Mears since I want to go directly from the airport to my resort without stopping at other resorts, so I will pay to use a ride share.

It really is not that popular. Some like the extra level of service or the grocery stop or a large group or?
Most popular is bus as truthfully this is the least amount of hassle behind using private.
Both are paid and your picked up or get your bags and walk to...... stress free.
Taxi, Uber and Lyft can be anxiety over what you will pay, if the car is big enough how long the taxi line is..... Car rentals can be waiting in line and well driving much less tolls and gas. whatever works best for you. We usually take the bus for above although Uber/Lyft may be cheaper of about the same for us. We use Uber to get to the airport. We have rented a car plenty of times as well before ME and after. Have also used private and regular taxis before Uber/Lyft existed.

Can someone please explain to me, what am I missing about all these private transportation companies?
It's consistent and reliable. I avoid using Uber/Lyft and instead use local taxi companies when available for just this reason - I've had far too many drivers turn down a fare, or show up with a vehicle without enough room for the people+luggage that Uber says there will be (example: F-150 for 4 adults+6 bags in the pouring rain).

With private surface transport, at least with Mears, is using a Lincoln MKX as the smallest option, and it goes up from there. This is a physically larger vehicle per seatbelt than any Uber I've ever even seen, and it holds luggage and is far more comfortable. With just two adults and some luggage, we've had to wait through four Uber vehicles to get one that fit us in the past.

Second, it saves a significant amount of time compared to using a taxi or Uber/Lyft. You wouldn't think so, but it actually does, we've timed it. A Towncar service saves at worst case 15 minutes over an Uber/Lyft, and usually closer to 30 - saving as much time as using a rideshare over the ordinary Mears bus.

Third, you're guaranteed a vehicle. They will meet my aircraft no matter when it lands, rather than playing rideshare roulette.

And lastly, I know what I'm paying. Having had $180 Ubers when a bunch of flights land, a $120 Towncar service is cheap.

I need 5 point restraints for my youngest, and some of those ubers have REALLY beat up car seats. I'll use them on property when it's just a short trip and everyone is really going the same way, but not to/from the airport.

My husband doesn't like busses anymore, too many people coughing on them.

We end up using private transfers as we usually have a stroller + 4 suitcases and only 2 adults with hands.

Thank you for all these different perspectives.
Clearly, I have a tiny group (of 2!), no car seat issues, and have Lyfted in other cities so am pretty comfortable with the process.
However, it was nice to hear some of the perks of scheduling in advance, the time saving (which is important to us!), and confirmation of prices too. Those do resonate with me. I'll continue to look at different vendors. Their prices vary wildly!

Thank you for all these different perspectives.
Clearly, I have a tiny group (of 2!), no car seat issues, and have Lyfted in other cities so am pretty comfortable with the process.
However, it was nice to hear some of the perks of scheduling in advance, the time saving (which is important to us!), and confirmation of prices too. Those do resonate with me. I'll continue to look at different vendors. Their prices vary wildly!
We are a party of 2 adults and honestly it varies. I’ll never do Mears because being dragged all over Timbuktu was something j didn’t mind in the DME days but there’s no way I’m paying for that. We did Tiffany Town Car last summer because we were coming in on Memorial Day weekend and I didn’t want to risk price surging, I’ve seen how crazy it gets on holiday weekends at MCO. We always check bags so we really appreciated the assistance at baggage claim and the grocery stop let us save money on Instacart delivery by switching it to curbside pickup. Our driver took care of that too. We really enjoyed the service and feel it was definitely worth it.

Otherwise we probably would have taken Lyft—we plan to do that to and from the airport in September. But next year we’ll be using Tiffany again. Same surge pricing issue, but we will also have 3 people with luggage so want to guarantee a big enough vehicle.

Various factors play into which form of transportation people prefer when traveling to/from MCO & Disney. There is no one size fits all solution. Do you ONLY want to go non-stop and not travel with others on some large bus? Do you need car seat(s)? How much other driving do you plan to do while @ Disney? Do you want the fastest way to Disney or the least expensive? How many people are in your party and how much luggage will you have? All of those factors matter when deciding what works best for your family.

We are a party of 2 adults and honestly it varies. I’ll never do Mears because being dragged all over Timbuktu was something j didn’t mind in the DME days but there’s no way I’m paying for that. We did Tiffany Town Car last summer because we were coming in on Memorial Day weekend and I didn’t want to risk price surging, I’ve seen how crazy it gets on holiday weekends at MCO. We always check bags so we really appreciated the assistance at baggage claim and the grocery stop let us save money on Instacart delivery by switching it to curbside pickup. Our driver took care of that too. We really enjoyed the service and feel it was definitely worth it.

Otherwise we probably would have taken Lyft—we plan to do that to and from the airport in September. But next year we’ll be using Tiffany again. Same surge pricing issue, but we will also have 3 people with luggage so want to guarantee a big enough vehicle.

Well, we are arriving on Memorial Weekend, on Sunday. That does make me think about surge pricing.

I use a towncar to get from airport to hotel, because I want the grocery store stop. I eat in the room, so if I didn't stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel, I would have to Uber/Lyft from the hotel to the grocery store and back.

I don't see a need to use a towncar to get from the hotel back to the airport at the end of my trip. I use Uber/Lyft for that.

I took a Mears shuttle many, many years ago. Never again. It's a long day of travel (living 90 minutes from the airport, getting to the airport 2 hours ahead, then the flight to Orlando). Sitting on a shuttle bus while it went from one hotel to another was just too much for me. I wouldn't do it even if I didn't need the grocery stop.

I’ll never do Mears because being dragged all over Timbuktu was something j didn’t mind in the DME days but there’s no way I’m paying for that.
Mears used to run DME. But, anyway, Mears is also the largest provider of private car service at MCO, and they do a really great job and treat their employees very well. So you can say you won't do the Mears shuttle, but they're a big company with a lot of product offerings.

Mears used to run DME. But, anyway, Mears is also the largest provider of private car service at MCO, and they do a really great job and treat their employees very well. So you can say you won't do the Mears shuttle, but they're a big company with a lot of product offerings.
It’s not about the quality of the Mears product, I know darn well it’s the same company lol. It’s about the fact that if I am being charged money for transportation from the airport, I want to go directly to my resort after picking up groceries at most. Period. When the cost was rolled into the price of the room, as was the case with DME, I didn’t mind taking an hour to get to my resort between traffic and stopping at 3 others first. But if I’m paying for the privilege on top of my room reservation, I want direct door to door service. I also want to choose when I go back instead of being dragged there 3 hours prior when I have pre and Clear and security takes me all of 5 minutes even the rare times I go through the old terminals.

It’s not about the quality of the Mears product, I know darn well it’s the same company lol. It’s about the fact that if I am being charged money for transportation from the airport, I want to go directly to my resort after picking up groceries at most. Period. When the cost was rolled into the price of the room, as was the case with DME, I didn’t mind taking an hour to get to my resort between traffic and stopping at 3 others first. But if I’m paying for the privilege on top of my room reservation, I want direct door to door service. I also want to choose when I go back instead of being dragged there 3 hours prior when I have pre and Clear and security takes me all of 5 minutes even the rare times I go through the old terminals.
I think you missed my point... Mears isn't just a bus, it's also a limo service, and their limo service is bigger than anybody else's.

Well, we are arriving on Memorial Weekend, on Sunday. That does make me think about surge pricing.
It can get pricey. I have seen it jump to $80-$90 on busy holiday weekends (even when I’m not taking rideshare i like to check out of curiosity), and when you consider Tiffany is about that much one way, the private car starts making more sense.

It can also happen on random days when there happens to be a lot of flights getting in at once, but we’re typically coming in on the first flight of the day so we tend not to run into that. Either way, booking private transportation is the safest bet if you want to know exactly what you’re paying ahead of time.

Stress free airport to resort trip.
Driver helps with luggage.
Ride in a spotless, like new vehicle with nice cold air conditioning already running.
Arrive at the resort about 30 minutes after departure from airport.
Driver helps unload your luggage at your resort.
Charged by the trip, not by the person.
Car seat availability
Bottled water available
Grocery stop available
Driver is waiting for you, you are not waiting for a full bus in order to leave the airport.
Fixed price for trip, already paid in advance

Ditto for the return trip.

We’ve been using car service since 2009 because DME was such a pain to wait on. We have too much luggage honestly to use an Uber or Lyft and honestly just like to know it’s set up. Tiffany Towncar has been our go to since 2009 and we have recommended them to several friends who also now use them.

They meet me inside baggage claim and help with bags. They take us right out to the car and direct to the hotel. They keep tabs on my flights and I always have a text from the driver when I land. Spotless suburbans often with theming. Disney music playing in back ground. Too notch customer service. I know the names of the owners and have texted them with questions etc and immediate responsiveness. Safe drivers. We don’t need car seats but that would be very important factor. Also a grocery stop if needed. I hated mears bus service - last trip from hotel to airport it was one of those big vans and we were first pickup and had to climb into the very back corner seats and it stopped at many hotels picking up one or two people at a time until it was full. Took forever and we were so cramped in there with little air. It was supposed to be a bus not a crowded van. We decided never again. I will pay the car service I use always and it is worth every penny

Check the "Pre Scheduled" rate for Uber or Lyft. It can be higher than the going rate when you arrive, but at least you have the amount sorted out ahead of time. I've only done it from the plane (when pretty certain we are really departing for MCO on time) since you have to cancel one hour ahead of pickup time or you are charged for the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter