Am I the only one to think right now DHS is a better deal than Epcot?

Most of the people saying DHS has nothing to do either don't like shows or have been to the parks so much that they've seen them all enough times. LMA, Indy, BATB, and VotLM eat a huge chunk of a day.

Epcot closures/removals in recent history:
  • Innoventions West
  • Maelstrom
  • Segway tours
  • HISTA
DHS closures/removals:
  • Backlot Tour
  • The original Star Tours, though I like the new one

DHS has closed more than that recently:
Sounds Dangerous (no replacement)
American Idol (although Frozen is replacement)
Backlot Tour as you said (no replacement)
Captain Jack Sparrow (no replacement-just lounge area now)
Animation Building including the 2 animation attractions (Animation Academy and Drawn To Animation (Mushu show) no replacement

Epcot
Innoventions West Still only 1/2 of it though although no replacement
Maelstrom will be replaced by Frozen ride (still don't like that but will have a replacement)
HISTA theater is currently showing Captain EO (or preview)

Last edited:
After just spending 12 days and dhs being my second favorite park before this trip, I'll say no. Dhs is a two hour park for us now and it's at the bottom of the list. Ak now has more to do and takes longer to go through. Our last two days at dhs we arrived at or just after opening and were done within two hours. Tot, rnr, tsm, gmr, one mans dream.

I agree. For me the only things I even bother with at DHS on the rare occasion I decide to waste time by going there are TOT, RNRC, and Muppets. But even the pull of those isn't strong enough to make me waste the time it would take to hop from there to another park. I would rather spend that time at EPCOT or DAK.

Most of the people saying DHS has nothing to do either don't like shows or have been to the parks so much that they've seen them all enough times. LMA, Indy, BATB, and VotLM eat a huge chunk of a day.

i have no problem admitting it. LMA was boring as all get out. Not into Indy. BATB is so been there done that (and the last three times my family dragged me there we were surrounded by teen drama kings and queens saying who had done what when their school did it, how much better their production was, and even belting along). And I have never liked TLM and the message it sends that you have to totally change who you are to be happy.

So, no. I don't waste my time on the shows.

I'm with you. I think that both parks leave a lot to be desired but Epcot's Future World is pathetic and we've been in World Showcase so many times that I don't have to go each time. Besides I hate what is being done to WS. Norway's gutting and the loss of a lot of good entertainment has left me feeling pretty cold towards the place.

Responses to questions like this can be misleading because they will usually have personal preference built into the answer. Both parks, unfortunately, have been pulled down by closures and vacant buildings. That said, there is plenty to do at both, depending on what your family likes.

For example, if you've never been to HS, the shows alone take up an enormous amount of time. My family never gets tired of the shows and will do them all on every trip. Plus, HS has always boasted a large number of characters, which can be huge time hogs. When my children were little, and wanted to see every character, between the shows, the rides, and the characters, it could take us 2.5 days at HS to get everything done.

Epcot is really two separate parks, and it is silly to think of it otherwise. If possible, try and experience Future World one day and WS on another. We usually utilize hoppers to jump over to or away from Epcot multiple times during a trip. For us, experiencing Epcot in total, but in multiple small doses, works best. That said, to effectively tour it in total would take 2.5-3.0 days (again hitting all rides, characters, shows, shops, multiple restaurants, etc.).

Bottom line is that both parks still have plenty to do, if your travelling party wants to experience everything the park has to offer. For those on short, 3-5 day trips, once MK and AK are factored in, neither park can be toured in it's entirity. That's when personal preference needs to come into play, and that's why answers like 'it's a half day park' end up in a post.

Responses to questions like this can be misleading because they will usually have personal preference built into the answer. Both parks, unfortunately, have been pulled down by closures and vacant buildings. That said, there is plenty to do at both, depending on what your family likes.

For example, if you've never been to HS, the shows alone take up an enormous amount of time. My family never gets tired of the shows and will do them all on every trip. Plus, HS has always boasted a large number of characters, which can be huge time hogs. When my children were little, and wanted to see every character, between the shows, the rides, and the characters, it could take us 2.5 days at HS to get everything done.

Epcot is really two separate parks, and it is silly to think of it otherwise. If possible, try and experience Future World one day and WS on another. We usually utilize hoppers to jump over to or away from Epcot multiple times during a trip. For us, experiencing Epcot in total, but in multiple small doses, works best. That said, to effectively tour it in total would take 2.5-3.0 days (again hitting all rides, characters, shows, shops, multiple restaurants, etc.).

Bottom line is that both parks still have plenty to do, if your travelling party wants to experience everything the park has to offer. For those on short, 3-5 day trips, once MK and AK are factored in, neither park can be toured in it's entirity. That's when personal preference needs to come into play, and that's why answers like 'it's a half day park' end up in a post.

I would feel better if they lowered the cost of admission for each closure they make without replacement.

As for Epcot, I look at it as a $100.00 cover charge to be able to come in and eat and drink. In October I am bringing a group for food and wine. My friends are paying $300.00 for tickets to get into Epcot so they can buy $15.00 wine and food demonstrations, eat at kiosks, and enjoy some of the outdoor seating and bars. We get 1 usable fastpass a day at Epcot.

Although, I am willingly doing this, and will have a great time. It really doesn't look like Disney has the customer in mind with their moves. To allow Future World to disintegrate the way they have and the compromising of the World Showcase with the Frozen incursion - I don't feel good about spending my money there like I did back in 2005.

Until Studios improves their dining options, it will always be #4 for me. Mama Melrose's is okay but since I normally do Via Napoli twice on a trip, I don't really want to do pizza again at a place that's not as good. So in the past, I've been going to Studios and then leaving around noon or 1 to go eat at the Beach Club pool. It's annoying to have to do that.

Until Studios improves their dining options, it will always be #4 for me. Mama Melrose's is okay but since I normally do Via Napoli twice on a trip, I don't really want to do pizza again at a place that's not as good. So in the past, I've been going to Studios and then leaving around noon or 1 to go eat at the Beach Club pool. It's annoying to have to do that.
That is an excellent point. The food at DHS is lackluster at best which definitely makes World Showcase more appealing.

The difference is that wasn't inside another park. Closing an entire park is quite different than half of one
They might do something eventually but they sure take their time. I just saw that the Wonders of Life has been closed since the first day of 2007. That is a long time.

They might do something eventually but they sure take their time. I just saw that the Wonders of Life has been closed since the first day of 2007. That is a long time.
And wasn't open in the summer of 2004 or 2005. At that time it was blocked off and considered seasonal. My kids have never seen that pavilion open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter